Koinonia

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Koinonia

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:21 pm

Congratulations to Karthik Nemmani!

Texas teen wins National Spelling Bee

By Steve Almasy, CNN

Updated 11:41 PM ET, Thu May 31, 2018
Confetti falls after 14-year-old Karthik Nemmani correctly spelled the word "koinonia" to win Thursday's Scripps National Spelling Bee in Maryland.

(CNN)Karthik Nemmani, a soft-spoken eighth-grader from McKinney, Texas, hadn't been to the National Spelling Bee before, but he had already been in a battle with 12-year-old Naysa Modi.
In their county spelling bee, Naysa won, but Thursday, Karthik came out on top -- successfully navigating through words like "aver," "paucispiral," "ankyloglossia," "haecceitas" and finally "koinonia" to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
The Greek word "koinonia" -- most commonly pronounced "koy-nuh-NEE-uh" -- is defined as "intimate spiritual communion and participative sharing in a common religious commitment and spiritual community."
When asked whether having Naysa, who is from Frisco, and other friends at the national finals helped, the unassuming Karthik said: "Yeah, I guess."

He smiled, and added, "I guess it gave me a little more confidence."
When asked at what point he knew he could spell the winning word, the 14-year-old said to laughter: "When I heard it."
Spellers typically ask for clues such as language of origin, alternate pronunciations and what part of speech the word is.
Naysa, who prepared her answers by miming as though typing on a keyboard, finished second after incorrectly spelling "Bewusstseinslage," leaving out the second S.
Thursday's finals went 18 rounds.
Karthik wins $40,000 in cash, a trophy, encyclopedias and $2,500 savings bond.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller