OMG. Garbage disposal rubber flap things

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

OMG. Garbage disposal rubber flap things

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:07 pm

So, do you clean them weekly? Or, do you realize that over the 800 years you've been alive, reaching down to retrieve spoons, bones and such, that you didn't realize the vile, alien, primordial sludge that lived in there?

Asking for a friend.
Well, then

BackInTex

Re: OMG. Garbage disposal rubber flap things

#2 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:10 pm

It is the source of many new cures.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Beebs52 wrote:So, do you clean them weekly? Or, do you realize that over the 800 years you've been alive, reaching down to retrieve spoons, bones and such, that you didn't realize the vile, alien, primordial sludge that lived in there?

Asking for a friend.

I convince myself that putting my lemon rinds down them daily keeps the sludge at bay.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jaybee

#4 Post by jaybee » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:15 pm

They get nasty, nasty, nasty. You can clean them but the rubber gets 'thick' and gritty plus they start tearing apart. Just replace them about every 1-1/2 - 2 years. $12 part

https://www.lowes.com/pd/InSinkErator-3 ... rd/3065643
Jaybee

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:20 pm

jaybee wrote:They get nasty, nasty, nasty. You can clean them but the rubber gets 'thick' and gritty plus they start tearing apart. Just replace them about every 1-1/2 - 2 years. $12 part

I've been using a curved brush, while trying not to vomit, soap, lysol, bleach, etc. It's like brushing teeth. I honestly had no idea. Maybe different ones here cause I don't want to be responsible for past sins. These flaps are pretty pliant.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:21 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:So, do you clean them weekly? Or, do you realize that over the 800 years you've been alive, reaching down to retrieve spoons, bones and such, that you didn't realize the vile, alien, primordial sludge that lived in there?

Asking for a friend.

I convince myself that putting my lemon rinds down them daily keeps the sludge at bay.
Nonono. Orange neither. Sneaky shit underneath. Bastiches.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:22 pm

BackInTex wrote:It is the source of many new cures.
Call me Alexandra Fleming.
Well, then

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:30 pm

This was the cause of my sister's Major Kitchen Remodel. It had leaked out to mold the area behind the whole sink. Requiring new cabinets. And her begging & finally getting them to fit back her 2-sided stainless steel sink, insead of the one-piece Corion one they like to put in when you're getting a Corion countertop.

This disposal was old as the 50s house. Don't Use Disposals.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:59 pm

ghostjmf wrote:This was the cause of my sister's Major Kitchen Remodel. It had leaked out to mold the area behind the whole sink. Requiring new cabinets. And her begging & finally getting them to fit back her 2-sided stainless steel sink, insead of the one-piece Corion one they like to put in when you're getting a Corion countertop.

This disposal was old as the 50s house. Don't Use Disposals.
Um, that was a pretty old disposal...just saying. We have replaced many which is why I was surprised about the crud.
Well, then

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:23 pm

I don't remember it having rubber flaps. I don't remember my parents ever having it replaced, though they may have. My sister at my urging did not have the new disposal she'd bought a few years ago hooked up. It could be if someone wanted it.

jaybee

#11 Post by jaybee » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:07 am

ghostjmf wrote:This was the cause of my sister's Major Kitchen Remodel.
And now you know how I, as a General Contractor specializing in remodels, get to do a major kitchen remodel.
Jaybee

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:56 am

What's a garbage disposal?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:57 am

jaybee, if I thought you lived anywhere near my sister I'd have asked for help.

mellytu74

#14 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:27 am

Beebs52 wrote:
jaybee wrote:They get nasty, nasty, nasty. You can clean them but the rubber gets 'thick' and gritty plus they start tearing apart. Just replace them about every 1-1/2 - 2 years. $12 part

I've been using a curved brush, while trying not to vomit, soap, lysol, bleach, etc. It's like brushing teeth. I honestly had no idea. Maybe different ones here cause I don't want to be responsible for past sins. These flaps are pretty pliant.

Boonie the Squeeze, who is in charge of such things at Casa Melly-Boonie, takes the rubber thing out and scrubs with a brush. That allows him to scrub arround the edges of the disposal and the underside of the rubber thingie.

He does it every couple of weeks.

He likes the periodic lemon or orange rind. But NOT eggshells - the slime builds up on the pipes.

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:33 am

I just move when it gets too cruded-up. :lol:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:10 am

Bob Juch wrote:I just move when it gets too cruded-up. :lol:
We used to joke that as soon as stuff started breaking down we'd get transferred. Was true for several years!
Well, then

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:36 am

Beebs52 wrote:
We used to joke that as soon as stuff started breaking down we'd get transferred. Was true for several years!
I wish. My house in South Carolina had lots of problems. It cost me about $15,000 to fix up, not counting the total repainting and purchase of new window coverings; I got it at $70,000 below market though. My house in Raleigh had major problems with the A/C which was deep well water based. My home here in Oro Valley has had a stream of problems including the dryer twice, the dryer vent, the main sewer pipe, the dishwasher, the microwave (which had a large lizard climb through the vent hose and burn out the fan), and one air conditioner which we replaced with a heat pump, the other one keeps freezing-up. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:42 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
I wish. My house in South Carolina had lots of problems. It cost me about $15,000 to fix up, not counting the total repainting and purchase of new window coverings; I got it at $70,000 below market though. My house in Raleigh had major problems with the A/C which was deep well water based. My home here in Oro Valley has had a stream of problems including the dryer twice, the dryer vent, the main sewer pipe, the dishwasher, the microwave (which had a large lizard climb through the vent hose and burn out the fan), and one air conditioner which we replaced with a heat pump, the other one keeps freezing-up. :roll:
Good lord. We lucked out due to corporate relos up til our 2013 downsizing, retirement, etc. Always got lovely appraisals. After major reno at last house did okay wirh usual concessions. I mean, after 23 years...
Well, then