WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:59 pm 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 4271
Ian Manka (new BB ianmanka)
Los Angeles, CA

$500
Named for its co-founder's mother, the frozen seafood brand Mrs. Paul's lists all of these as ingredients in its fish sticks—except what?
A: Alaska pollock B: Bread crumbs
C: Vegetable oil D: Mr. Paul

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Mr. Paul

$1,000
What mystic syllable and sacred mantra, often overheard in yoga classes, appears at the beginning and end of most Sanskrit prayers?
A: Ow! B: Oy!
C: OMG! D: Om

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Om

$2,000
What music legend's complete works were recently released in a massive 200 CD box set, including a "bonus track" written with his contemporary Antonio Salieri?
A: Michael Jackson B: Elton John
C: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart D: Justin Bieber

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

$3,000
In addition to its notorious Rabbit Fence, Australia also built a 134-mile-long barrier to control the migration of what second-tallest bird in the world?
A: Emu B: Vulture
C: Condor D: Pelican

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Emu

$5,000
Though it's popular casual wear today, the Breton top was originally part of the uniform of the French Navy, and was required to feature exactly what?
A: 16 diamonds B: 21 stripes
C: 44 polka dots D: 64 checkered squares

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: 21 stripes

First commercial break

$7,000
Judging by their occupational surnames, ancestors of Michael Fassbender and which other actor were likely both engaged in the profession of barrelmaking?
A: Adam Sandler B: Shia LaBeouf
C: Bradley Cooper D: Jeremy Renner

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Bradley Cooper

$10,000
According to the most recent statistics, there are nearly 114 million what in the U.S., down from a high of more than 137 million in 2008?
A: Trees B: Registered cars
C: Smartphones D: McDonald's restaurants

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: Registered cars

$20,000
Finally stepping down for health reasons in February 2008, Fidel Castro served as the leader of Cuba during how many different U.S. presidencies?
A: 8 B: 9
C: 10 D: 11

[Reveal] Spoiler: +1
Ian's +1 is his friend, Patrick who is pretty sure Castro took power in '59 (or maybe '60) and counts out—Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, & Bush making 10.
(Patrick won $100,000 earlier this season: First episode & Carryover episode)

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: 10

Second commercial break

$30,000
Discussing the store's best-selling bookcases, IKEA President Lars Petersson said, "In spite of the fact that people seem not to buy books anymore, they buy" what?
A: POÄNGs B: MALMs
C: BILLYs D: LACKs

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 30% B: 18% C: 39% D: 13%

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: BILLYs

Third commercial break
QotD wrote:
While "the bends" refers to joint pain, "the chokes" and "the staggers" are names for the respiratory and neurological symptons of what?
A: Vertigo B: Diabetes
C: Decompression sickness D: Syphilis

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Decompression sickness

$50,000
In a 2012 study, the NIH analyzed almost 140,000 deliveries and found that on average, first-time mothers spend how long in labor before giving birth?
A: 1.5 hours B: 3.5 hours
C: 6.5 hours D: 10.5 hours

[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves C & D.

Ian decides to walk.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
He would have guessed C
The correct answer is C: 6.5 hours
Ian wins $30,000


Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6949
5K: Wasn't sure they meant shirt or hat by "top". Has to be shirt.

30K: ATA

50K: I was sure not A or D. Hope 50/50 would have convinced me otherwise. Because my pick was C. When are they counting the start?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 pm
Posts: 3
ghostjmf wrote:
5K: Wasn't sure they meant shirt or hat by "top". Has to be shirt.

30K: ATA

50K: I was sure not A or D. Hope 50/50 would have convinced me otherwise. Because my pick was C. When are they counting the start?


Hello all, long-time lurker, and another person who used these very helpful transcripts to help prepare for the show! Thanks for posting them so diligently!

Re: 50K, Chris and I talked about the issue of when to count the start for most of the closing credits of the show. Collectively, we thought of five or six ways it could be tracked. I still haven't had the determination to actually look up the study to find out.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:50 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16841
Location: By the phone
ianmanka wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:
5K: Wasn't sure they meant shirt or hat by "top". Has to be shirt.

30K: ATA

50K: I was sure not A or D. Hope 50/50 would have convinced me otherwise. Because my pick was C. When are they counting the start?


Hello all, long-time lurker, and another person who used these very helpful transcripts to help prepare for the show! Thanks for posting them so diligently!

Re: 50K, Chris and I talked about the issue of when to count the start for most of the closing credits of the show. Collectively, we thought of five or six ways it could be tracked. I still haven't had the determination to actually look up the study to find out.
Welcome aBored! Please feel free to share any other thoughts you might have about your appearance. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6949
https://www.google.com/search?q=average ... e&ie=UTF-8

This article isn't focussing on 1st-time mothers, but cites "early labor" as "cervix dilated & effaces (thins out)", 6-12 hours & "active labor" as "contractions started"; 8 to 10 hours.

Neither of these averages to BAM's "right" answer.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6949
https://www.google.com/search?q=averge+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

This article from UK says "for 1st-time Mum active labor is average of 8 hours".

All told, especially with BAM not defining "when to start counting", I call this a bad Q.

Here's hoping they do too, & ask Ian back.

Here's an article that says active labor is "4 to 8 hours or more".

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... t-20046545


Last edited by ghostjmf on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12533
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Ian Manka (new BB ianmanka)
Los Angeles, CA


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000
Discussing the store's best-selling bookcases, IKEA President Lars Petersson said, "In spite of the fact that people seem not to buy books anymore, they buy" what?
A: POÄNGs B: MALMs
C: BILLYs D: LACKs
[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 30% B: 18% C: 39% D: 13%

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: BILLYs

No idea, and I hope the audience does.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50,000
In a 2012 study, the NIH analyzed almost 140,000 deliveries and found that on average, first-time mothers spend how long in labor before giving birth?
A: 1.5 hours B: 3.5 hours
C: 6.5 hours D: 10.5 hours
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves C & D.

Ian decides to walk.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
He would have guessed C
The correct answer is C: 6.5 hours
Ian wins $30,000

Good work, Ian!

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 pm
Posts: 3
I managed to track down the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 367518.pdf

The relevant information is on page 12, "first-stage duration from 4 cm to C/C."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6949
Ian: It sucks that the study they cited does say that. But many other studies disagree. And that they didn't specify "active labor" & define it in the Q would give you reason to contend the Q if you wanted to, I think.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:29 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16841
Location: By the phone
ghostjmf wrote:
Ian: It sucks that the study they cited does say that. But many other studies disagree. And that they didn't specify "active labor" & define it in the Q would give you reason to contend the Q if you wanted to, I think.
No. They "pinned" the answer by citing to a specific study. It's an awful question because it's so vague that there's no way to know what the right answer is without being familiar with that specific study. But that doesn't make it subject to challenge.

What might is if there were a different part of the same study that at least arguably supported a different answer. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:57 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 8970
Location: Location.Location.Location
All I know is my first was 23 hours...

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:13 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16841
Location: By the phone
Beebs52 wrote:
All I know is my first was 23 hours...
So you're definitely not average, you overachiever, you. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:16 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 8970
Location: Location.Location.Location
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
All I know is my first was 23 hours...
So you're definitely not average, you overachiever, you. --Bob


Yeah. It was fun. A large nurse leaned on me to pop that sucker out. No kidding.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:25 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 8970
Location: Location.Location.Location
2nd took 2 days, one day of induction with pitocin, etc, and I twiddled my thumbs. 2nd day third doc said let's break the water and get on with it. Both of mine were late, week wise.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16841
Location: By the phone
Beebs52 wrote:
2nd took 2 days, one day of induction with pitocin, etc, and I twiddled my thumbs. 2nd day third doc said let's break the water and get on with it. Both of mine were late, week wise.
Now I'm confused. Are you saying that you're an overachiever? Or just that you're slow? <ducking and running> --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 8970
Location: Location.Location.Location
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
2nd took 2 days, one day of induction with pitocin, etc, and I twiddled my thumbs. 2nd day third doc said let's break the water and get on with it. Both of mine were late, week wise.
Now I'm confused. Are you saying that you're an overachiever? Or just that you're slow? <ducking and running> --Bob


Slow. Uncomfortably slow. I picked up speed later in order to not lose what little mind I had...

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 pm
Posts: 3
Bob78164 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:
Ian: It sucks that the study they cited does say that. But many other studies disagree. And that they didn't specify "active labor" & define it in the Q would give you reason to contend the Q if you wanted to, I think.
No. They "pinned" the answer by citing to a specific study. It's an awful question because it's so vague that there's no way to know what the right answer is without being familiar with that specific study. But that doesn't make it subject to challenge.

What might is if there were a different part of the same study that at least arguably supported a different answer. --Bob


There were other numbers cited in the report -- in the "first stage," 5 cm to C/C (which I learned means "completely effaced and completely dilated") is 3.6 hours and 6 cm to C/C is 2.2 hours. In the "second stage," with spontaneous delivery is 0.90 hours and with assisted delivery it is 1.65 hours.

That being said, it's a terribly vague question and one I hope not to ever inflict upon those who attend O'Brien's Pub Quiz when I host it in Los Angeles. But unlike a pub quiz, it's not like I can ask the quizmaster to clarify what they are asking for or how they define certain terms. I think there were other interesting conclusions that the study found that would make for a slightly more interesting question, as opposed to pulling a random line from a data table. The study's purpose was to determine changes in birth times between the 1960s and today, and they found that on average, labor takes 2.6 hours longer than births from the 1960s. The question could have been, "according to a 2012 NIH study comparing birth now vs. births from the 1960s, which of these NOT true?"

I played the game as well as I could with the question stack -- I didn't end up burning lifelines sooner than I needed them, and my intuition didn't fail me when I thought I had the correct answer.

(By the way, the 95th percentile for labor 4 cm to C/C is 24 hours)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:07 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 8970
Location: Location.Location.Location
ianmanka wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:
Ian: It sucks that the study they cited does say that. But many other studies disagree. And that they didn't specify "active labor" & define it in the Q would give you reason to contend the Q if you wanted to, I think.
No. They "pinned" the answer by citing to a specific study. It's an awful question because it's so vague that there's no way to know what the right answer is without being familiar with that specific study. But that doesn't make it subject to challenge.

What might is if there were a different part of the same study that at least arguably supported a different answer. --Bob


There were other numbers cited in the report -- in the "first stage," 5 cm to C/C (which I learned means "completely effaced and completely dilated") is 3.6 hours and 6 cm to C/C is 2.2 hours. In the "second stage," with spontaneous delivery is 0.90 hours and with assisted delivery it is 1.65 hours.

That being said, it's a terribly vague question and one I hope not to ever inflict upon those who attend O'Brien's Pub Quiz when I host it in Los Angeles. But unlike a pub quiz, it's not like I can ask the quizmaster to clarify what they are asking for or how they define certain terms. I think there were other interesting conclusions that the study found that would make for a slightly more interesting question, as opposed to pulling a random line from a data table. The study's purpose was to determine changes in birth times between the 1960s and today, and they found that on average, labor takes 2.6 hours longer than births from the 1960s. The question could have been, "according to a 2012 NIH study comparing birth now vs. births from the 1960s, which of these NOT true?"

I played the game as well as I could with the question stack -- I didn't end up burning lifelines sooner than I needed them, and my intuition didn't fail me when I thought I had the correct answer.

(By the way, the 95th percentile for labor 4 cm to C/C is 24 hours)


Yay! I wasn't a total aberration!

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 8970
Location: Location.Location.Location
Dilation is the key. Eyeballs, too.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.