RIP Anne Donovan

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

RIP Anne Donovan

#1 Post by Vandal » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:00 am

Women's basketball lost a true pioneer, visionary and mentor on Wednesday.

Anne Donovan, who won Olympic gold as a player and a coach, died suddenly of heart failure at 56.

A towering presence on the court at 6-8, Donovan led Old Dominion to an AIAW national championship in 1980, teaming with another great - Nancy Lieberman. She also was a member of the U.S. Olympic teams that won gold in 1984 and 1988.

After college, she played five seasons professionally in Japan and one in Italy.

She was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1995.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 700395002/
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mellytu74

Re: RIP Anne Donovan

#2 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:31 am

Very early in my sports writing career, I covered high school sports in South Jersey. One memorable day, Paramus Catholic with Anne Donovan came to Gloucester to play Gloucester Catholic, which was one of standout girls' teams in the state.

Gloucester Catholic always drew pretty well; this day, the tiny gym was packed to the rafters. Hoop junkies from all over South Jersey had come to see Anne Donovan.

Donovan was terrific - she wasn't just tall (although at then-6-6, she certainly was that), but she had a fine court sense and feel for the game that would serve her well in the years to come.

IIRC, she was a pretty shy kid. When I interviewed her afterward, she talked about what basketball meant to her. She was a little overwhelmed by the attention I think.

RIP Anne Donovan.