Great Sportsmanship

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

Great Sportsmanship

#1 Post by Estonut » Fri May 02, 2008 1:24 pm

There aren't enough news stories like this one:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_9123335?source=rss

I'd have thought this would have been posted here, but couldn't find it.

christie1111
11:11

#2 Post by christie1111 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:29 pm

I am so glad you posted this Estonut. I saw this on TV the other night and it brought tears to my eyes.

Reading this, with the greater detail, made me tear up all over again.

WTG girls!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Fri May 02, 2008 2:11 pm

To tell you the truth, I got misty, too, mostly when they talked about how the opposing team, by carrying her (and not scoring later), ended up losing the game and ending their playoff hopes for the season.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri May 02, 2008 2:13 pm

Thank you for sharing. It's a very sweet story.

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:28 pm

Estonut wrote:To tell you the truth, I got misty, too, mostly when they talked about how the opposing team, by carrying her (and not scoring later), ended up losing the game and ending their playoff hopes for the season.
Well, whether they carried her or not had not effect on the game's outcome, but it was a nice testament to the sportsmanship of the opposing girl who came up with the idea (as well as a testament to the parents who raised her and her previous coaches).

This was discussed on our main local sports talk show yesterday. There were a few interesting sub-discussions of the differences between the sexes. It generally was agreed that there was a slim-to-no chance that this story ever could have happened in a baseball game. The thought was:

- While women can be competitive, especially at this high level (college), men generally are wired to be off-the-charts competitive in comparison.

- More importantly, a guy never would have accepted assistance and would have hopped on one leg around the bases.

(Did I mention that this talk show has 2 guy hosts and a predominantly male audience. :) )

Based on past experience with continuing to play in games, stubbornly and foolishly refusing to follow medical advice and my body's own advice transmitted through pain, I must admit that I likely would have shrugged off anyone carrying me around.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Great story, Estonut -- thanks.

Our opponents did something similar for me last year, although not anything on the scale of those college ladies. I stumbled on a soft spot in the infield on the way to second and hit the dirt. It was a lovely hit to right and would have put me on second base easily, and since I was already almost halfway there, I kept going, figuring I was DOA no matter what. Then the right fielder threw the ball to the pitcher instead of second base.

So they stomped us something like 15 to 5 instead of 15 to 3. It was a very sporting thing to do and much appreciated.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Fri May 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Appa23 wrote:Well, whether they carried her or not had not effect on the game's outcome, but it was a nice testament to the sportsmanship of the opposing girl who came up with the idea (as well as a testament to the parents who raised her and her previous coaches).

This was discussed on our main local sports talk show yesterday. There were a few interesting sub-discussions of the differences between the sexes. It generally was agreed that there was a slim-to-no chance that this story ever could have happened in a baseball game. The thought was:

- While women can be competitive, especially at this high level (college), men generally are wired to be off-the-charts competitive in comparison.

- More importantly, a guy never would have accepted assistance and would have hopped on one leg around the bases.

(Did I mention that this talk show has 2 guy hosts and a predominantly male audience. :) )

Based on past experience with continuing to play in games, stubbornly and foolishly refusing to follow medical advice and my body's own advice transmitted through pain, I must admit that I likely would have shrugged off anyone carrying me around.
Leave it to HD to put a downer on a lovely story:

1) I've seen nothing written on what would have happened with the runners, had she been held to a single. Even if they had both been allowed to score, the game is only 3-2 at that point. How can you say this act did not affect the outcome of the game?

I found another article, which indicates this incident took place in the top of the second inning:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/ ... id=3372631

2) A lot of women play baseball these days, despite your sexist assumption to the contrary.

3) You'd have to knock one over the fence before you'd get to pull your macho act and shrug off being carried around.

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:56 pm

Estonut wrote:
Appa23 wrote:Well, whether they carried her or not had not effect on the game's outcome, but it was a nice testament to the sportsmanship of the opposing girl who came up with the idea (as well as a testament to the parents who raised her and her previous coaches).

Leave it to HD to put a downer on a lovely story:

1) I've seen nothing written on what would have happened with the runners, had she been held to a single. Even if they had both been allowed to score, the game is only 3-2 at that point. How can you say this act did not affect the outcome of the game?

I found another article, which indicates this incident took place in the top of the second inning:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/ ... id=3372631

2) A lot of women play baseball these days, despite your sexist assumption to the contrary.

3) You'd have to knock one over the fence before you'd get to pull your macho act and shrug off being carried around.
I don't see where I put a downer on anything. It was a cool thing and great sportsmanship!

However, I made my comment because nearly every story about this great bit of sportsmanship also has noted that the umps were wrong (which they have admitted). You are allowed to substitute a pinch runner, with no effect on the play. It was a home run and would not have been treated as a single.

[I saw a reference to Rule 5-10: "If an accident to a runner is such as to prevent him from proceeding to a base to which he is entitled, as on a home run hit out of the playing field, or an award of one or more bases, a substitute runner shall be permitted to complete the play."]

Thus, it did not cost or add any runs to the game.

It is true that I would have to hit one out before I could do something as dumb as insist on continuing around the bases on a bad knee. My past experience with home runs is not so promising. :oops:

( You will note that there is nothing macho about what I said about myself. I framed it more in the area of stupidity, likely fueled by an extra boost of adrenalin and testosterone. It is why I continued to play soccer on torn knee ligaments, doing further damage)
Last edited by Appa23 on Fri May 02, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri May 02, 2008 3:02 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Well, whether they carried her or not had not effect on the game's outcome,
They did not know that at the time (top of the second inning). They cost themselves a run, which might have mattered later. They knew that, and did it anyway. That's what makes it admirable. It would not be cool if they did it with the knowledge it would not hurt them. Interesting but not admirable.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Appa23

#10 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 02, 2008 3:02 pm

I do wonder after reading the EstoNUT's post how many women are playing Division II baseball?

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 02, 2008 3:05 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
Well, whether they carried her or not had not effect on the game's outcome,
They did not know that at the time (top of the second inning). They cost themselves a run, which might have mattered later. They knew that, and did it anyway. That's what makes it admirable. It would not be cool if they did it with the knowledge it would not hurt them. Interesting but not admirable.
In any event, they lost by two, so even that one run did not matter.

I guess that I disagree with you. To me, it does not diminish the sportsmanship of the act whether or not they thought that they were giving the other team another run or not.

I'm just not that cynical, I guess.

wbtravis007

#12 Post by wbtravis007 » Fri May 02, 2008 3:07 pm

I think it's pretty funny that everybody still calls Hold-Dad Holt-Dad instead of Appa.

I thought about commenting on this:

( You will note that there is nothing macho about what I said about myself. I framed it more in the area of stupidity, likely fueled by an extra boost of adrenalin and testosterone. It is why I continued to play soccer on torn knee ligaments, doing further damage).

Guess I'm too apathetic.

Appa23

#13 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 02, 2008 3:09 pm

O.K. Here is the crrect rule, from ESPN's original story.

According to page 105, rule 8.5.3.2 of the NCAA softball rule book, "If an injury to a batter-runner or runner prevents her from proceeding to an awarded base, the ball is dead and the substitution can be made. The substitute must legally touch all awarded or missed bases not previously touched."

Estonut
Evil Genius

#14 Post by Estonut » Fri May 02, 2008 3:11 pm

Appa23 wrote:I do wonder after reading the EstoNUT's post how many women are playing Division II baseball?
Subtle, HD, subtle.

Your statement was a blanket generalization that this couldn't happen in baseball, implying that the reason is because baseball is played by men.
Appa23 wrote:It generally was agreed that there was a slim-to-no chance that this story ever could have happened in a baseball game.

christie1111
11:11

#15 Post by christie1111 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:58 pm

Estonut, please ignore him. Many BB's do. Don't let any comments distract from the story itself.

I loved the story, I don't even care if some of the details are slightly wrong or if the umps were wrong, etc.

Heartening story with a great moral and a case of good news making the news over any celebrity faux pas psuedo news.

Thanks for reminding me about the story.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 02, 2008 9:09 pm

A friend of a friend did this YouTube video:

http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-winning_ ... thing.html

A bit overdone, IMNSHO.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Appa23

#17 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:05 pm

Estonut wrote:
Appa23 wrote:I do wonder after reading the EstoNUT's post how many women are playing Division II baseball?
Subtle, HD, subtle.

Your statement was a blanket generalization that this couldn't happen in baseball, implying that the reason is because baseball is played by men.
Appa23 wrote:It generally was agreed that there was a slim-to-no chance that this story ever could have happened in a baseball game.
Read my post again. It was not my statement. I was relaying the discussion on the local sports talk show. (You also can find several blogs that discussed this very point, as well.)

Don't try to read more than actually is said.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Sat May 03, 2008 1:30 am

Appa23 wrote:Read my post again. It was not my statement. I was relaying the discussion on the local sports talk show. (You also can find several blogs that discussed this very point, as well.)

Don't try to read more than actually is said.
The fact that you posted it here, offered no additional commentary to refute it and flat-out agreed with it in your last statement ("I must admit that I likely would have shrugged off anyone carrying me around.") makes it your statement, as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I took your original post to mean that you thought this was cute, but it only would have been a newsworthy story had the athletes involved been men. Maybe you didn't intend your comments to come off as sexist and condescending, but with your posting history and the reception it's gotten here, you should know how you come across by now. I wonder if our female BB's took it as insulting, or if I'm riled up on their behalf for no reason. I don't know if any still read your posts.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#19 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:02 am

Estonut wrote:Perhaps I'm wrong, but I took your original post to mean that you thought this was cute, but it only would have been a newsworthy story had the athletes involved been men. Maybe you didn't intend your comments to come off as sexist and condescending, but with your posting history and the reception it's gotten here, you should know how you come across by now. I wonder if our female BB's took it as insulting, or if I'm riled up on their behalf for no reason. I don't know if any still read your posts.
I didn't read any of the posts, Estonut. I think everybody else still does. In response to this paragraph of yours, I can tell you from the days I did read them that he is sexist and condescending, that he sometimes writes things for the sole purpose of stirring things up, that he occasionally posts under alternate aliases, and to my knowledge has never admitted to them.

Thanks again for posting the story.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#20 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun May 04, 2008 7:07 am

Sportsmanship isn't all it's cracked up to be.

It's probably a good thing I'm too lazy to play sports anymore....

lb13

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#21 Post by kayrharris » Sun May 04, 2008 2:26 pm

Here's the link to the video ESPN played. Very touching. Their facts do state top of 2nd. They also said if she didn't touch all the bases, it would have been scored a 2 run single. Her team members would not have been allowed to carry her around the bases according to this report.

Some here may think the story is overdone. I've seen several touching stories on ESPN that have all made me cry....the U of L student band member who is blind and in a wheelchair, the UNC mascot who was hit by a car and killed. His parents were able to meet each person that received an organ from their son, and now this one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/vid ... Id=3380875
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

peacock2121

#22 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:55 am

This was just the best thread!

I loved it especially because each and every poster lived up to my story about them.

It is great when life fits into the little boxes I have.

Limiting, but great.

starfish1113

#23 Post by starfish1113 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:45 am

I saw the video on the plane this morning. How pathetic am I? I'm sitting there trying to avoid having tears roll down my cheeks (I succeeded, barely). I'm a sucker for these types of stories.

Oh, I don't know if Ap-pathetic brought this up, but the reason I don't think this would happen in a baseball game is that I doubt men (me included) would have helped an injured player on the opposing team. My first thought (at least before this story) would have been "If he doesn't touch home plate, he doesn't score!). I suspect that would be the reaction of many baseball players.

And HD's idea that there is no way it could happen in a baseball game because a man would get up and hop around the bases before letting the opposing team carry him around is as sad and erroneous as his statement a few years ago that he would never, ever, ever, NEVER miss a pre-1K question on BAM.

peacock2121

#24 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:47 am

starfish1113 wrote:I saw the video on the plane this morning. How pathetic am I? I'm sitting there trying to avoid having tears roll down my cheeks (I succeeded, barely). I'm a sucker for these types of stories.

Oh, I don't know if Ap-pathetic brought this up, but the reason I don't think this would happen in a baseball game is that I doubt men (me included) would have helped an injured player on the opposing team. My first thought (at least before this story) would have been "If he doesn't touch home plate, he doesn't score!). I suspect that would be the reaction of many baseball players.

And HD's idea that there is no way it could happen in a baseball game because a man would get up and hop around the bases before letting the opposing team carry him around is as sad and erroneous as his statement a few years ago that he would never, ever, ever, NEVER miss a pre-1K question on BAM.
fishie!

fishie!

fishie!

Appa23

#25 Post by Appa23 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:50 am

starfish1113 wrote: Oh, I don't know if Ap-pathetic brought this up, but the reason I don't think this would happen in a baseball game is that I doubt men (me included) would have helped an injured player on the opposing team. My first thought (at least before this story) would have been "If he doesn't touch home plate, he doesn't score!). I suspect that would be the reaction of many baseball players. .
Yes, that was one of the main things discussed on the radio show, as I stated in my post.

How sexist of you. :lol: