50 Most Popular Movie Villains of All Time

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

50 Most Popular Movie Villains of All Time

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 am

This appeared in the USA Today, and was based on some statistics compiled by 24/7 Wall Street, that include votes on Ranker.com; Wikipedia page views and votes for their most popular films on IMDB. Naturally, this skews heavily to more recent films and famous franchise (Norman Bates or any villain before the Godfather doesn't make the cut). While the first couple are pretty obviousl (Darth Vader and the Joker), the next two are a complete surprise to me (Two-face and the warden from the Shawshank Redemption) before coming to Hannibal Lecter at number five.

The complete list:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 711609002/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

franktangredi

Re: 50 Most Popular Movie Villains of All Time

#2 Post by franktangredi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:14 am

silverscreenselect wrote:This appeared in the USA Today, and was based on some statistics compiled by 24/7 Wall Street, that include votes on Ranker.com; Wikipedia page views and votes for their most popular films on IMDB. Naturally, this skews heavily to more recent films and famous franchise (Norman Bates or any villain before the Godfather doesn't make the cut). While the first couple are pretty obviousl (Darth Vader and the Joker), the next two are a complete surprise to me (Two-face and the warden from the Shawshank Redemption) before coming to Hannibal Lecter at number five.

The complete list:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 711609002/
"All Time" is a meaningless phrase in these lists. The absence of the Wicked Witch of the West and Captain Bligh alone invalidates the whole thing. Not to mention Nurse Ratched.

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:29 am

Not to mention Pharaoh, the Evil Queen, the Great Dictator, Richard III, Baby Jane, Dr. Strangelove, Cady, Mrs. Robinson, Misery, Sling Blade, Gordon Gekko, Aileen Wuornos, Bill the Butcher, Idi Amin, and the Black Swan.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:59 am

No Nurse Rachet, no list credibility. Don't even need to think any further about it. Watching that movie I wanted to kill her. My lip still curls into an involuntary snarl when I see Louise Fletcher in any on screen capacity. She was THAT good (bad).
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#5 Post by frogman042 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 pm

My vote for at the very least in the top 3 - Robert Mitchum in 'The Night of the Hunter' - can't get much more evil then that! Special mention to Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death, Orson Wells in Touch of Evil, Edward Arnold in both Mr. Smith Goes to Washington/Meet John Doe, Lionel Barrymore in It's a Wonderful Life, Lee Marvin as Liberty Valence, and don't forget the various villains in so many other westerns (almost too many to list) - they are all so much more evil then most of the names on the list.

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:53 pm

I would point out that the list is the 50 "most popular" movie villains, not the 50 greatest or most evil or most memorable or anything like this.

Robert Mitchum was a great villain in Night of the Hunter (and Cape Fear too for that matter), but I venture there isn't a whole lot of traffic to either the Wikipedia pages or the IMDB listings for Harry Powell or Max Cady.

I'm very surprised that the warden from Shawshank made the list at all and that Donald Sutherland's character from Hunger Games did not.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Bruce, from Jaws.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#8 Post by Vandal » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:24 am

No list would be complete without:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster