Never let it be said that one person cannot elicit change

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

Never let it be said that one person cannot elicit change

#1 Post by Sir_Galahad » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:38 pm

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Oh, my.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Never let it be said that one person cannot elicit chang

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:42 pm

From the first story...
Hanukkah begins this Friday at sundown.
I was confused until I saw the "Copyright © 2006".

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:03 pm

I remember the Seattle airport thing from last year. I recall that was settled and the menorah and the christmas trees went back up.

As for the folding of the flag - some people just need to go away. I am speechless.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:07 pm

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/295604_trees12.html

I think I take it back - the trees went back up and the menorah was a no go.

I think.

BackInTex

Re: Never let it be said that one person cannot elicit chang

#6 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:07 pm

Bogomilsky's lawyer, Harvey Grad wrote:There is a concern here that the Jewish community will be portrayed as the Grinch.
No, just the Rabbi Bogomilsky.

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:11 pm

Here are the words to the ceremony. It is similar to what I have heard before although I do not know if there is an "official" source for this. Since the official motto, while being present on coins since the Civil War, was not officially the Nations motto until the mid 50's I presume this tradition started after that time or was modified accordingly.

Indeed, it seems unfortunate that one person objecting could result in a reaction to remove it from all services. Nor does it seem particularly objectionable, despite the fact that I am neither Jewish nor Christian.

The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

The second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.

The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country to attain a peace throughout the world.

The fourth fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for His divine guidance.

The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.

The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered in to the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on mother's day.

The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.

The tenth fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

The eleventh fold, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.

When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, "In God we Trust."
Last edited by tanstaafl2 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Corn

#8 Post by Corn » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:24 pm

Interesting. I didn't realize that the second link was a completely different story. so one is pulling a tradition because of exclusion, and the other is pulling it because of inclusion.