Sportsball 6-21-18

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
elwoodblues

Sportsball 6-21-18

#1 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:02 pm

Today we have athletes who went into politics. Tell me who I'm talking about for two points each, and there are two bonus questions.

1. He pitched a perfect game for the Phillies in 1964 and was later a Senator from Kentucky.

2. He played for a New York team when that team won its only two championships and was later a Senator from New Jersey.

3. He represented Buffalo as the Bills’ quarterback in the ‘60s and in Congress in the ‘70s and ‘80s.

4. He was a star defensive player for the Vikings and later served on the Minnesota Supreme Court.

Two-point Conversion 1: The answer to #3 was once his party’s nominee for Vice President. For two points each, name the Presidential candidate on that ticket and give the year.

Two-point Conversion 2: In the 50’s a major professional team temporarily changed its nickname because of the Communist scare at the time. For two points each, name the team and give the temporary nickname.

jarnon

Re: Sportsball 6-21-18

#2 Post by jarnon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:19 pm

Spoiler
1. He pitched a perfect game for the Phillies in 1964 and was later a Senator from Kentucky. Jim Bunning (54 years ago today :D )

2. He played for a New York team when that team won its only two championships and was later a Senator from New Jersey. Bill Bradley (Princeton '65 :D )

3. He represented Buffalo as the Bills’ quarterback in the ‘60s and in Congress in the ‘70s and ‘80s. Jack Kemp

4. He was a star defensive player for the Vikings and later served on the Minnesota Supreme Court.

Two-point Conversion 1: The answer to #3 was once his party’s nominee for Vice President. For two points each, name the Presidential candidate on that ticket and give the year. Bob Dole 1996

Two-point Conversion 2: In the 50’s a major professional team temporarily changed its nickname because of the Communist scare at the time. For two points each, name the team and give the temporary nickname. Cincinnati Reds
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:28 pm

Spoiler
1. He pitched a perfect game for the Phillies in 1964 and was later a Senator from Kentucky.

2. He played for a New York team when that team won its only two championships and was later a Senator from New Jersey.
Bill Bradley

3. He represented Buffalo as the Bills’ quarterback in the ‘60s and in Congress in the ‘70s and ‘80s.
Joe Kapp

Alan Page

Two-point Conversion 1: The answer to #3 was once his party’s nominee for Vice President. For two points each, name the Presidential candidate on that ticket and give the year.

Ralph Nadar, 1980

Two-point Conversion 2: In the 50’s a major professional team temporarily changed its nickname because of the Communist scare at the time. For two points each, name the team and give the temporary nickname.

Cincinnati Reds / Apple Pies
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Spoiler
Today we have athletes who went into politics. Tell me who I'm talking about for two points each, and there are two bonus questions.

Jim Bunning

Bill Bradley

Jack Kemp. Not gonna miss a Bills question two days in a row.

Alan Page

Bob Dole, 1996

Cincinnati Reds/Redlegs
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Spoiler
Jim Bunning

Bill Bradley

Jack Kemp

Alan Page

Bob Dole, 1996

The Cincinnati Reds became the Red Stockings
--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

franktangredi

#6 Post by franktangredi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Spoiler
BILL BRADLEY

JACK KEMP

BOB DOLE, 1996

I assume it's the REDS.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Spoiler

1. He pitched a perfect game for the Phillies in 1964 and was later a Senator from Kentucky. - Jim Bunning

2. He played for a New York team when that team won its only two championships and was later a Senator from New Jersey. - Bill Bradley?

3. He represented Buffalo as the Bills’ quarterback in the ‘60s and in Congress in the ‘70s and ‘80s. - Jack Kemp

4. He was a star defensive player for the Vikings and later served on the Minnesota Supreme Court. - Joseph A. Wapner

Two-point Conversion 1: The answer to #3 was once his party’s nominee for Vice President. For two points each, name the Presidential candidate on that ticket and give the year. - Has to be pre-1984, I remember all the losing VP candidates since then. I know he wasn't Carter's VP, but maybe he switched in 1980? I think Ford had Dole in 1976 because I remember it being brought up on the Bored that a Dole or Bush was on the GOP ticket every year from 76-04. '72 seems like it would be too far back.... so I'll say with Jimmy Carter in 1980.

Two-point Conversion 2: In the 50’s a major professional team temporarily changed its nickname because of the Communist scare at the time. For two points each, name the team and give the temporary nickname. - The Cincinnati Reds became the Cincinnati Redlegs
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

kroxquo

#8 Post by kroxquo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Spoiler

1. He pitched a perfect game for the Phillies in 1964 and was later a Senator from Kentucky. Jim Bunning

2. He played for a New York team when that team won its only two championships and was later a Senator from New Jersey. Bill Bradley

3. He represented Buffalo as the Bills’ quarterback in the ‘60s and in Congress in the ‘70s and ‘80s. Jack kemp

4. He was a star defensive player for the Vikings and later served on the Minnesota Supreme Court. Carl Eller

Two-point Conversion 1: The answer to #3 was once his party’s nominee for Vice President. For two points each, name the Presidential candidate on that ticket and give the year. Bob Dole 1996

Two-point Conversion 2: In the 50’s a major professional team temporarily changed its nickname because of the Communist scare at the time. For two points each, name the team and give the temporary nickname. Reds Redlegs
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm such a dumbass.... but that's why I advertise it over my avatar....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

mrkelley23

#10 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Spoiler

Dan Bunning

Bill Bradley

Jack Kemp

Alan Page

Bob Dole

Cincinnati Reds, Redlegs
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#11 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Spoiler

JIM BUNNING

BILL BRADLEY

JACK KEMP

ALAN PAGE

BOB DOLE - 1996

The Cincinnati Reds? The Redlegs?

Pastor Fireball

#12 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:01 am

Spoiler
1. Jim Bunning
2. Bill Bradley
3. Jack Kemp
4. pass
Two-point Conversion 1: Bob Dole, 1996
Two-point Conversion 2: Boston Red Sox, Boston Blue Sox
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

A Non E. Muss

#13 Post by A Non E. Muss » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:37 am

Welp! My perfect game looks to be coming to an end. :P

Spoiler

Jim Bunning

Bill Bradley

Jack Kemp

Alan Page

Bob Dole & 1996

Cincinnati Reds & Cincinnati Red Stockings

ShamelessWeasel

#14 Post by ShamelessWeasel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 am

Spoiler
1. Jim Bunning
2. Bill Bradley
3. Jack Kemp
4. Alan Page

Two-point Conversion 1: Bob Dole 1996
Two-point Conversion 2: nope

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 am

Spoiler

Jim Bunning - He also got a mention in a story about Ted Williams in Jim Bouton's "Ball Four."

Bill Bradley

Jack Kemp

Alan Page - There was some discussion of him here not too long ago.

Bob Dole; Bubba's 2nd term, so 1996

Cincinnati Reds; Redlegs
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#16 Post by Vandal » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Spoiler
1. Jim Bunning

2. Bill Bradley

3. Jack Kemp

4. Alan Page

Two-point Conversion 1: Bob Dole 1996

Two-point Conversion 2: Reds became Redlegs, perhaps
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

elwoodblues

#17 Post by elwoodblues » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:11 pm

elwoodblues wrote:Today we have athletes who went into politics. Tell me who I'm talking about for two points each, and there are two bonus questions.

Jim Bunning. I did not know that yesterday was the anniversary of the perfect game. That was a total coincidence.

Bill Bradley, who played for the Knicks when they won their only two NBA titles in '70 and '73.

Jack Kemp

Alan Page

Jack Kemp was Bob Dole's running mate in 1996 when Bill Clinton was elected to his second term.

The Cincinnati Reds called themselves the Redlegs for a few years in the '50s.
jarnon 12
BiT 6
TBone 16
Bob 14
Frank 10
LB 10
kroxquo 14
MrK 14
melly 16
Fireball 10
A Non E Muss 14
Weasel 12
Estonut 16
Vandal 16
Last edited by elwoodblues on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#18 Post by Vandal » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:11 pm

I'm pretty sure I played this one.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

elwoodblues

#19 Post by elwoodblues » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Vandal wrote:I'm pretty sure I played this one.
Indeed you did. It has been corrected.

elwoodblues

#20 Post by elwoodblues » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Vandal wrote:I'm pretty sure I played this one.
Indeed you did. It has been corrected.