type 1 diabetes reversible, per recent study

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

type 1 diabetes reversible, per recent study

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:50 pm

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/research/ ... 1-diabetes

This is all over the news, I just cited article with the most info that I can find so far

And if this can be done for type 1s, what could it do for type 2s?

I want this, & it will be forever before they'll give it to me unless I can get into some study

The problem is there are 4 or 5 subdivisions of type 2s (I'm type 2) which the med profession doesn't currently even study

thguy65

Re: type 1 diabetes reversible, per recent study

#2 Post by thguy65 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:51 pm

Type 1 Diabetes has an underlying cause of the body's immune system attacking the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas, damaging those cells so they no longer produce insulin. This appears to be the main target of the therapy used in the research study.
Type 2 Diabetes does not have this auto-immune cause, so the BCG therapy can't improve Type 2 Diabetes in that way. The potential effect that involves changes in glucose metabolism could be a benefit, but additional research would need to be conducted in Type 2 Diabetes patients. You can check on the website https://clinicaltrials.gov/ to see if there are any studies in which you might want to participate. A quick search does not find anything for BCG with type 2 diabetes at this time.

- Tim H.

ghostjmf

Re: type 1 diabetes reversible, per recent study

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:03 pm

It was thought, when this study was started, that the drug would somehow revive beta cells. Instead, it changes glucose metabolism. So BCG could easily help type 2s. I'd like to think.

There's also a researcher out there who theorizes that type 2s have been producing defective insulin all our lives, & just keep pumpng out more of it until we've just exhausted our ability to produce it. Which would explain why synthetic insulin works on us. I just don't buy that all my cells would have suddenly become "insulin resistant" when they do respond to synthetic insulin. That its my insulin that's defective makes more sense. I do wish I could get someone to test it.

In an ideal world I'd like to be producing my own insulin, but frankly anything that makes me self-regulate, even if its metabolizing glucose differently, would be fine with me at this point.

There's also a group out there that thinks you can turn some other group of pancreas cells into beta cells, but I don't know about the science behind it.