Another Very Odd Baseball Statistic

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Another Very Odd Baseball Statistic

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:10 am

Friday night, Peter Moylan was the losing pitcher in the Braves' 10-7 loss to Baltimore. What makes that unusual was that it was Moylan's first loss in 208 appearances going back to the 2011 season (Moylan had won five games during that time). Admittedly, Moylan is a mop-up pitcher, used when his team is behind in a game, so he wasn't in a position very often where he could blow a lead and lose a game, but you would still think that somewhere in there would be an extra-inning game or a situation where the starter got knocked out very early where he might come in and lose a game. That's exactly what happened Friday night, when the game went 15 innings and Moylan was the last available pitcher when he came in to pitch the 15th and gave up three runs.

By the way, Moylan's streak was not a major league record (he pitched in both leagues during the streak). Trevor Miller, another journeyman reliever went 240 appearances without a loss from 2006 to 2009.

https://sports.yahoo.com/braves-pitcher ... 17241.html
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

Re: Another Very Odd Baseball Statistic

#2 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:51 pm

I would have sworn the Phillies hung a loss on Moylan once. But, the more I think of it, I think it was a situation where he came in an let inherited runners score.

In an earlier incarnation, not recently.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:23 pm

mellytu74 wrote:I would have sworn the Phillies hung a loss on Moylan once. But, the more I think of it, I think it was a situation where he came in an let inherited runners score.

Moylan is 4-2 lifetime versus the Phillies (The only team he's lost multiple times to). He picked up 9 losses in his first six seasons prior to starting his lossless streak in 2011...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:47 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:I would have sworn the Phillies hung a loss on Moylan once. But, the more I think of it, I think it was a situation where he came in an let inherited runners score.

Moylan is 4-2 lifetime versus the Phillies (The only team he's lost multiple times to). He picked up 9 losses in his first six seasons prior to starting his lossless streak in 2011...

lb13
Thanks,, lb!