We Are the World remake by Broadway types

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

We Are the World remake by Broadway types

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:52 am

We’ve seen a few of these folks. I love that the “we are the children” line is now mostly sung by children, and also that the musicians get their names on the video as well as the singers.

T-Bone, steel yourself: Constantine Maroulis has most of Brother Ray's lines, but it kind of works.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay ... d-20180627
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

Re: We Are the World remake by Broadway types

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:58 am

The blonde lady who handles much of the late chorus with Constantine (don't call her Bruce Springsteen) is Orfeh, who made her biggest mark on Broadway in Legally Blonde.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

plasticene

#3 Post by plasticene » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:42 am

Ritterskoop wrote:the musicians get their names on the video as well as the singers.
This phrasing is a pet peeve of my opera singer husband--singers are musicians. Colloquially, people are usually thinking about instrumentalists when they speak of musicians, but when you're contrasting them with singers, using the word "instrumentalists" avoids the unintended implication that singers don't count as musicians.

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:04 pm

I always thought everyone thinks singers are musicians, and didn't know we needed to spell this out. We'll get it next time, I guess.
--------

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:04 pm

One might question if you have an "all-star cast" if you have to name them and their shows. Other than the senior citizen stars Ben Vereen, Chita Rivera, and Bebe Neuwirth (plus Brian Stokes Mitchell for the truly fanatic), the biggest Broadway star in this song might be Kate Rockwell from Mean Girls. Otherwise, I do not think that there are any other Tony-nominated singers/actors. (Didn't check)

I thought that I saw the name of Sierra Boggess, but it was Summer Boggess (an instrumentalist).

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Lots of nominees in there, not a gob of winners, yet.
--------

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I always thought everyone thinks singers are musicians, and didn't know we needed to spell this out. We'll get it next time, I guess.
Reasonable people understand the difference, and are O.K. with the differentiation, when referring to a group of some folks playing instruments and some folks singing. Otherwise you have just the musicians, which I don't think recognizes the talents and contributions of those singing. Playing instruments and singing are two separate parts of music and require different talents (some having both, many only having one, and some such as myself having nothing but the appreciation). If a singer is a musician then so is the song writer. So would be the sound mixer.

Must folks get wadded panties over every little slight they can muster?

MW online defines Musician as: : a composer, conductor, or performer of music; especially : instrumentalist

Pretty much anyone involved in the performance.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:29 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Lots of nominees in there, not a gob of winners, yet.
Other than the 5 that I named (Rockwell, Mitchell, Rivera, Neuwirth, and Vereen), there were 4 other nominees (not lots).

- Constantine got one for "Rock of Ages", but he has appeared in maybe one other Broadway show (Jekyll and Hyde), and is not a Broadway regular.

- Orfah got one for Legally Blonde, and Wikipedia says that she hasn't been on Broadway in 10 years.

- Beth Malone and Sydney Lucas got nominated for playing the same character in "Fun Home". Each does not have a long Broadway resume otherwise.

The positive from this thread is that I found a new musical to investigate. :)

Plus, Mark from Rent.

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:10 pm

I don't understand the criticism of this link. Watch it or don't. I went out of my way not to call them All-Stars but "Broadway types".

I get that lots of people think the song itself is full of cheese, but to jam on these kids who are trying to make the world better, just because they are not yet household names, seems on the small side.
--------

Ritterskoop

#10 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:14 pm

PS: Small Allison and Big Allison are different roles in Fun Home. She is played at 10 (Small), 19 (Medium) and 43 (Big) by three different people.

So, yeah, it's the same character but not the same part or role.
--------

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:55 am

Ritterskoop wrote:PS: Small Allison and Big Allison are different roles in Fun Home. She is played at 10 (Small), 19 (Medium) and 43 (Big) by three different people.

So, yeah, it's the same character but not the same part or role.
Which is why I said the same character, not role. Different than the Tony won collectively by the 3 young actors for Billy Elliot.

gsabc

#12 Post by gsabc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:16 pm

To paraphrase Jimmie Walker: In a thread without politics, race or immigrants, people can always improvise [something to argue about]. Yeesh!
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#13 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
T-Bone, steel yourself: Constantine Maroulis has most of Brother Ray's lines, but it kind of works.

:shock: :!:

well, good on him for taking part anyway
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck