WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 3869
Location: Olympia, Washington
Ooooh boy! Here it comes..... Can the left go more insane than they already are?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15052
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Ooooh boy! Here it comes..... Can the left go more insane than they already are?


Not good news. The question will be whether Democrats can persuade one of the handful of more moderate Republican senators to hold the line against a hard right Trump choice. (I don't think McCain will be voting on any Supreme Court picks, so the Republicans would need all 50 of the other Republicans to go along). Somwhere, among Collins, Murkowski, Flake, and Corker there may be a bit of a conscience.

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:40 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 9030
Location: Location.Location.Location
I would think he would nominate a swing votey sort like Kennedy.

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Posts: 9728
Location: In Texas of course!
silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Ooooh boy! Here it comes..... Can the left go more insane than they already are?


Somwhere, among Collins, Murkowski, Flake, and Corker there may be a bit of a conscience.


Your mindset, along with most of the media, Maxine Waters, and the folks who can't allow someone with differing political views each lunch in peace are the reason Republicans will win in the fall, and in 2020.

You can add Bobby Sue Censor to the list as well.

Most reasonable people are that, reasonable, and do not like being told how to think, especially when that includes threats and harassment if not followed.

_________________
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:52 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16943
Location: By the phone
Beebs52 wrote:
I would think he would nominate a swing votey sort like Kennedy.
I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens. I expect Donny to nominate another hard right ideologue like Gorsuch. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 3869
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
I would think he would nominate a swing votey sort like Kennedy.
I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens. I expect Donny to nominate another hard right ideologue like Gorsuch. --Bob


I feel sorry for anyone who is nominated. The SJW nazis on the left will hound him or her every second of the day, now that Maxine Waters has endorsed that behavior. Do you enjoy being part of that bob-tel? Tell me how you condemn those tactics and how you will do everything in your power to stop it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:44 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 9030
Location: Location.Location.Location
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
I would think he would nominate a swing votey sort like Kennedy.
I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens. I expect Donny to nominate another hard right ideologue like Gorsuch. --Bob


I guess hard right ideology doesn't allow for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ase-2018-4

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16943
Location: By the phone
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
I would think he would nominate a swing votey sort like Kennedy.
I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens. I expect Donny to nominate another hard right ideologue like Gorsuch. --Bob


I guess hard right ideology doesn't allow for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ase-2018-4
I do agree that from time to time he'll be willing to depart from other conservatives, probably by insisting on narrow interpretations of criminal statutes and perhaps even by expanding Fourth Amendment protections. But on the cases that will make a real difference in the lives of tens of millions of Americans, I think he'll prove to be a very reliable conservative vote. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 21612
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Ooooh boy! Here it comes..... Can the left go more insane than they already are?


Not good news. The question will be whether Democrats can persuade one of the handful of more moderate Republican senators to hold the line against a hard right Trump choice. (I don't think McCain will be voting on any Supreme Court picks, so the Republicans would need all 50 of the other Republicans to go along). Somwhere, among Collins, Murkowski, Flake, and Corker there may be a bit of a conscience.

I predict that on the first Monday in October the court will have eight members.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:04 pm
Posts: 3521
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens. I expect Donny to nominate another hard right ideologue like Gorsuch. --Bob


I guess hard right ideology doesn't allow for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ase-2018-4
I do agree that from time to time he'll be willing to depart from other conservatives, probably by insisting on narrow interpretations of criminal statutes and perhaps even by expanding Fourth Amendment protections. But on the cases that will make a real difference in the lives of tens of millions of Americans, I think he'll prove to be a very reliable conservative vote. --Bob


Certainly, if he protects the lives of tens of millions of babies, they will consider that a real difference.

_________________
Here's Wylie's kick, it's high, it holds
up there, Rodgers takes the ball at the 30, he's hit and got away,
back up field to the 35, to the 40, he's to the 45, he's to the 50 to
the 45, to the 40, to the 35, to the 20, to the 10, he's all the way
home........[crowd cheering].......HOLY MOLY, MAN, WOMAN AND CHILD DID
THAT PUT 'EM IN THE AISLES.....JOHNNY THE JET RODGERS JUST TORE 'EM
LOOSE FROM THEIR SHOES!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 21612
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Appa23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

I guess hard right ideology doesn't allow for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ase-2018-4
I do agree that from time to time he'll be willing to depart from other conservatives, probably by insisting on narrow interpretations of criminal statutes and perhaps even by expanding Fourth Amendment protections. But on the cases that will make a real difference in the lives of tens of millions of Americans, I think he'll prove to be a very reliable conservative vote. --Bob


Certainly, if he protects the lives of tens of millions of babies, they will consider that a real difference.

How would he protect the lives of millions of babies? Something to do with universal healthcare or food stamps?

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15052
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Can the left go more insane than they already are?


You mean like this person:

http://wset.com/news/local/west-virgini ... he-red-hen

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Posts: 6243
Location: Montana
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens. I expect Donny to nominate another hard right ideologue like Gorsuch. --Bob


I guess hard right ideology doesn't allow for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ase-2018-4
I do agree that from time to time he'll be willing to depart from other conservatives, probably by insisting on narrow interpretations of criminal statutes and perhaps even by expanding Fourth Amendment protections. But on the cases that will make a real difference in the lives of tens of millions of Americans, I think he'll prove to be a very reliable conservative vote. --Bob


lol - So he's a hard right ideologue, except when he's not. Got it.

_________________
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. And clowns.

Rick Castle is dreamy.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:15 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 9030
Location: Location.Location.Location
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

I guess hard right ideology doesn't allow for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ase-2018-4
I do agree that from time to time he'll be willing to depart from other conservatives, probably by insisting on narrow interpretations of criminal statutes and perhaps even by expanding Fourth Amendment protections. But on the cases that will make a real difference in the lives of tens of millions of Americans, I think he'll prove to be a very reliable conservative vote. --Bob


lol - So he's a hard right ideologue, except when he's not. Got it.


:?

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15052
tlynn78 wrote:
lol - So he's a hard right ideologue, except when he's not. Got it.


No, it means that he has his idiosyncrasies, the same as every judge.

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Posts: 9728
Location: In Texas of course!
silverscreenselect wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
lol - So he's a hard right ideologue, except when he's not. Got it.


No, it means that he has his idiosyncrasies, the same as every judge.


If he is like every judge, why the negativity? Oh wait, because of who appointed him. I see.

_________________
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4032
Location: Merion, Pa.
Justice Kennedy’s announcement overshadowed two other Washington retirements. House Democratic leader Joe Crowley was primaried by a 28-year-old upstart. And former Nationals star Jayson Werth (who got a World Series ring with the 2008 Phillies) announced that this is his final season in baseball.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15052
BackInTex wrote:
If he is like every judge, why the negativity? Oh wait, because of who appointed him. I see.


It's not just who appointed him; it's how he got appointed, by Mitch McConnell refusing to hold hearings on Merrick Garland until after the election. Funny that this time around, he's real anxious to hold hearings on this new justice before the next election.

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 3869
Location: Olympia, Washington
silverscreenselect wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
If he is like every judge, why the negativity? Oh wait, because of who appointed him. I see.


It's not just who appointed him; it's how he got appointed, by Mitch McConnell refusing to hold hearings on Merrick Garland until after the election. Funny that this time around, he's real anxious to hold hearings on this new justice before the next election.


We've been through this before. The fact is that even if hearings had been held, he never would have gotten confirmed. So why waste the time and money going through the motions? It is a non-argument, and don't even try to tell me the dems wouldn't have done the same thing if the situation was reversed.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Posts: 6243
Location: Montana
BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
lol - So he's a hard right ideologue, except when he's not. Got it.


No, it means that he has his idiosyncrasies, the same as every judge.


If he is like every judge, why the negativity? Oh wait, because of who appointed him. I see.


Exactly.

_________________
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. And clowns.

Rick Castle is dreamy.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:22 am 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 16943
Location: By the phone
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
If he is like every judge, why the negativity? Oh wait, because of who appointed him. I see.


It's not just who appointed him; it's how he got appointed, by Mitch McConnell refusing to hold hearings on Merrick Garland until after the election. Funny that this time around, he's real anxious to hold hearings on this new justice before the next election.


We've been through this before. The fact is that even if hearings had been held, he never would have gotten confirmed. So why waste the time and money going through the motions? It is a non-argument, and don't even try to tell me the dems wouldn't have done the same thing if the situation was reversed.
Yes, he would have. There were a number of vulnerable Republican Senators who did not want to vote on the record not to confirm him.

I don't think the Democrats would have done the same thing if their situations had been reversed. But I will sure as hell urge them to do so now. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12546
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
An article in Slate.com (admittedly a left-leaning publication) says that Kennedy's retirement just made efforts by Democrats to retake the Senate much harder - the opportunity for the president to nominate another justice will motivate the Republican base; the Democrats need to win one of three red states believed to be in play (Arizona, Tennessee and Nevada) and defend five seats in potentially vulnerable states (Florida, Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota and West Virginia).

The article also says that Senate Democrats can't do what Mitch McConnell did since the Republicans hold a majority and there's no judicial filibuster any longer. It's possible, I suppose, that some Republicans not up for re-election (such as Collins and Murkowski) or those retiring (such as Flake and Corker) might not go along with whomever the president nominates.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:36 pm
Posts: 3624
Location: Texas
The Supreme Court was the main reason I voted for Clinton. Nominating Supreme Court Justices may be the most important thing the President does nowadays, and it should have gotten more attention during the campaign.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Posts: 4997
Location: Charlotte, NC
I have always had this Pollyanna view that the Court gets a lot of things right by not hearing the cases, and leaving things up to the lower courts. And then even when they do hear a case, and even when I disagree with them, it just has not seemed like an unmitigated disaster over the long haul. Which is to say, eventually we get things figured out, and reverse things that were deep down wrong.

So I never have gotten all into the upset over the Court and its members and which way they lean, and won't be starting now. In other words, I trust that whoever is nominated and confirmed will be qualified and will do their best. Trusting the system means I can sleep at night. It doesn't mean it's the best position but it's the one I can live with.

_________________
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4032
Location: Merion, Pa.
jarnon wrote:
Justice Kennedy’s announcement overshadowed two other Washington retirements. House Democratic leader Joe Crowley was primaried by a 28-year-old upstart.
The Resistance has spread from coast to coast.
CA Democrats endorse de León over incumbent Feinstein

jarnon wrote:
And former Nationals star Jayson Werth (who got a World Series ring with the 2008 Phillies) announced that this is his final season in baseball.
Jayson's Phillies teammate Chase Utley is retiring too.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.