Mass shooting in Annapolis, MD at Capital Gazette office

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Mass shooting in Annapolis, MD at Capital Gazette office

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:45 pm

Here we go again. Too early for details.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

Re: Mass shooting in Annapolis, MD at Capital Gazette office

#2 Post by jarnon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:58 pm

Did you know there was a mass shooting in Trenton two weeks ago, at an arts festival of all places? 17 people were shot; fortunately the only casualty was one of the shooters. Even the Bored liberals don't pay attention to the everyday violence in the inner city.

The March For Our Lives students have the right idea. Though they're from a well-to-do suburb, they always include ghetto kids at their rallies.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:26 pm

jarnon wrote:Did you know there was a mass shooting in Trenton two weeks ago, at an arts festival of all places? 17 people were shot; fortunately the only casualty was one of the shooters. Even the Bored liberals don't pay attention to the everyday violence in the inner city.

The March For Our Lives students have the right idea. Though they're from a well-to-do suburb, they always include ghetto kids at their rallies.

With all due respect, jarnon, I paid a LOT of attention to the Trenton shooting. That festival has been going on for quite a few years and brings together people of all races. We've seen artwork at the Trenton train station in advance of the festival.

Just because I didn't post it here doesn't mean I wasn't paying attention, doesn't mean I am not still heartsick about it.

There have been a few shootings of teenagers who were not the intended targets lately. Kids killed for the crime of walking down the street or sitting on a porch.

Just because I don't post them here doesn't mean I don't care, doesn't mean I am not heartsick over it.

Maybe - because there's too many real-life things going on right now (including family funerals, dying friends and an upcoming Rainbow Bridge announcement) - I am just not willing to deal with the ration of crap that comes from starting a thread on certain subjects anymore.

As far as this particular shooting ... I spent 15 years in newspaper offices. I am afraid to find out the motive.

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:36 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
jarnon wrote:Did you know there was a mass shooting in Trenton two weeks ago, at an arts festival of all places? 17 people were shot; fortunately the only casualty was one of the shooters. Even the Bored liberals don't pay attention to the everyday violence in the inner city.

With all due respect, jarnon, I paid a LOT of attention to the Trenton shooting. That festival has been going on for quite a few years and brings together people of all races. We've seen artwork at the Trenton train station in advance of the festival.

Just because I didn't post it here doesn't mean I wasn't paying attention, doesn't mean I am not still heartsick about it.

There have been a few shootings of teenagers who were not the intended targets lately. Kids killed for the crime of walking down the street or sitting on a porch.

Just because I don't post them here doesn't mean I don't care, doesn't mean I am not heartsick over it.

Maybe - because there's too many real-life things going on right now (including family funerals, dying friends and an upcoming Rainbow Bridge announcement) - I am just not willing to deal with the ration of crap that comes from starting a thread on certain subjects anymore.

As far as this particular shooting ... I spent 15 years in newspaper offices. I am afraid to find out the motive.
Thanks, mellytu74. Actually, I wish there were fewer posts about subjects that are well covered in the news.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:36 pm

Yeah, I didn't hear about it until much later though.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:37 pm

some people on facebook think its because Milo Yiannopoulos has urged shooting of journalists:

http://observer.com/2018/06/milo-yianno ... ists-down/

We'll probably find out its an employee or ex-employee

someone is in custody

there are several deaths reported

mellytu74

#7 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:41 pm

jarnon wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:

Thanks, mellytu74. Actually, I wish there were fewer posts about subjects that are well covered in the news.
Yeah, really.

That's why I am trying to stick to games and personal posts.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Five fatalities, others injured.

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:30 pm

gunman (yes, not surprisingly, a man) said to be not cooperating with police.

My source: WCVB, local ABC station in Boston.

Ritterskoop

#10 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:15 pm

I am going with disgruntled former employee (I heard or read about the person aiming at specific people).

We got several extra emails at work today from corporate types, saying obvious things. We're not connected to this paper, but people do kind of feel connected, anyway.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:02 pm

He had some kind of specific beef with this newspaper, so maybe not a former employee.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 09024.html
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 pm

It was personal, and this guy is a nutcase in a story that sounds like it came out of a horror movie.

The paper wrote an article about a woman who friended a man on Facebook she barely knew in high school. The "friend" was Jarrod Ramos, the shooter, and he started stalking her and she eventually reported him to the police. The paper wrote an article about the incident and Ramos sued the paper for defamation. The case got thrown out of court so Ramos came looking for revenge. The paper's editor was Rob Hiaasen, one of the victims and brother of novelist Carl Hiaasen, and he also wrote the article that got Ramos upset.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 744287002/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com