RIP Harlan Ellison

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

RIP Harlan Ellison

#1 Post by gsabc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:23 pm

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/harlan ... 202861048/

Note to Variety: HE would be pissed to have his obit headline include "Star Trek". The writer should expect an unpleasant visitation once HE has finished arguing his placement in the celestial SF pantheon with Asimov, Heinlein, Leinster, Sturgeon, et al. That could take a while, though.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: RIP Harlan Ellison

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Damn. His voice was unique and I will miss it. I have relatively recent collections of his work still on my to-be-read bookshelf. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Two years ago, when Open Road Media had their big Christmas giveaway and had about 5,000 free digital books for a few days, I picked up 15 of his collections of essays and stories. I could have gotten two or three times that many (I'm sure there was some duplication) but I was afraid they might cut me off if I took too many books. Now, I'll have to put a couple on my Kindle.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:39 pm

Comic Book fans will also recall that he wrote a fair amount of stories for comics, including some heavy hitters like The Avengers, Incredible Hulk, Daredevil, and Batman.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:49 am

:cry: I got to know him well when I lived in L.A. in 1986-7. I was dating a friend of his who he called "Tribble" and we went to his house regularly. I still have a Tribble packed away somewhere.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:09 am

John Scalzi's blog notice and LA Times column on HE's passing:

https://whatever.scalzi.com/ (June 28th, 2018 entry; I recommend reading the comments as well as the entry itself.)

http://www.latimes.com/books/la-et-jc-h ... story.html

For those who don't recognize Scalzi's name, he is the author of the "Old Man's War" series, "Redshirts" which won the Hugo for best novel, and currently the "Lock In" and "Collapsing Empire" series, the first book of the latter just having won the Locus award for best novel. I recommend them all, including Wil Wheaton's audiobook narrations. Yes, that Wil Wheaton.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:34 am

The Variety obit mentions it in passing, but I'd give a shout out to A Boy and His Dog, one of the best cult sci fi films ever made (and fairly easy to find for free viewing online)

Also getting too brief a mention was "Demon with a Glass Hand," probably the best original Outer Limits episode ever made.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:36 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The Variety obit mentions it in passing, but I'd give a shout out to A Boy and His Dog, one of the best cult sci fi films ever made (and fairly easy to find for free viewing online)

Also getting too brief a mention was "Demon with a Glass Hand," probably the best original Outer Limits episode ever made.
Yes! and yes.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.