Ghost said she got a message

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
christie1111
11:11

Ghost said she got a message

#1 Post by christie1111 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Saying she was banned from,the Bored.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Ghost said she got a message

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Attention lb, eyegor, or tubadave:

ghostjmf reported that she received the following message:

WWTBAM Bored
A home for the weary.
* Login * Register * Chat * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:12 pm

Board indexAll times are UTC - 6 hours

Information

You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.

Board indexAll times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.

--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:37 pm

This is weird fer sure.
Well, then

tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

#4 Post by tubadave » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:21 pm

Alright alright, I'm looking at it.

She could start by not sending us multiple emails that give absolutely no freaking clue who she even is. :roll:

This happened to mrkelley23 the other night as well. There are whole ranges of IP addresses, typically ones used in distant foreign lands for spamming purposes, that are banned, and have been for years. I'll have to see if I can figure out which one she's running into.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:16 pm

I sent a bunch of messages with my e-mail address. tubadave, please send me your e-mail. I will try to send you whatever you want. I am on a tablet. My ip address is whatever T-Mobile deems it to be; I don't set it up or own it.

I am currently posting via wifi provided by McDonalds on the Mass Pike. I have a feeling when I get home & am using my $50/month pass from T-Mobile I'll be banned again.

I'm loathe to, but I'll sign off the wifi & try right now.

At least now I know its not me personally that's banned, its my ip address, which I have no control over?

tubadave

#6 Post by tubadave » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Ghost and I are working through this.

I removed an IP address on the ban list from Seattle, which is nowhere near her (though I just remembered that T-Mobile is near there, so who knows) and another that was unidentifiable. Other than addresses used by certain search bots, everything else on the ban list is outside the Western Hemisphere. This could be an issue with her tablet, and not her IP address, but we won't find that out until she's able to log in from another device.

It's very odd that this sort of thing has pretty much never happened, and then it happens twice in two days (Mr K got bit by it yesterday, but he's on vacation and using his phone....and it cleared up on its own, so I wasn't worried about it.) The thing in common here was that there wasn't anything wrong with either of their accounts, and they most certainly were not banned deliberately. Seriously, people, if I wanted to start banning anyone, I wouldn't have waited 10 and a half years to do it. :P

Hopefully, this doesn't happen again, but if anyone else has an issue, be sure to use the administrator email that it gives you. That address forwards your message to both LB and myself.

tubadave
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Magically back on. I don't know for how long.

When I'm banned, the little icon to the left of "WWTBAM Bored" on its tab isn't a file icon. When I'm unbanned its a file again. For whgatever that's worth.

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:05 pm

Tubaguy, you can best.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 am

tubadave wrote:Ghost and I are working through this.

I removed an IP address on the ban list from Seattle, which is nowhere near her (though I just remembered that T-Mobile is near there, so who knows) and another that was unidentifiable. Other than addresses used by certain search bots, everything else on the ban list is outside the Western Hemisphere. This could be an issue with her tablet, and not her IP address, but we won't find that out until she's able to log in from another device.

It's very odd that this sort of thing has pretty much never happened, and then it happens twice in two days (Mr K got bit by it yesterday, but he's on vacation and using his phone....and it cleared up on its own, so I wasn't worried about it.) The thing in common here was that there wasn't anything wrong with either of their accounts, and they most certainly were not banned deliberately. Seriously, people, if I wanted to start banning anyone, I wouldn't have waited 10 and a half years to do it. :P

Hopefully, this doesn't happen again, but if anyone else has an issue, be sure to use the administrator email that it gives you. That address forwards your message to both LB and myself.

tubadave

I believe I banned a small IP range after the first time Zachhoran tried to come back to the Bored which has (so far) successfully kept him from returning (And he has tried). That may be the unidentifiable range from the US...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

tubadave

#10 Post by tubadave » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:45 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
tubadave wrote:Ghost and I are working through this.

tubadave

I believe I banned a small IP range after the first time Zachhoran tried to come back to the Bored which has (so far) successfully kept him from returning (And he has tried). That may be the unidentifiable range from the US...

lb13
I took the addresses that I removed from the ban list last night and put them back in, because ghost was able to identify (via whatsmyip.org) her actual external IP address. It was part of a large group of addresses that I had blocked to keep search bots out. When I looked up all those address ranges online just now, some of them don't come back as search bots anymore, they register as proxy servers used for mobile broadband. (Translation: a proxy server is a location that you route internet traffic through so that it looks like it came from somewhere else......a bit of a security measure, you might say.) So, I've removed all of the IP address ranges that look like they are now proxy servers from the ban list. That should definitely let ghost back in full time, and (hopefully) prevent this from happening to anyone else anytime soon.

tubadave

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:06 pm

I was back on with "read only" status. Could not post new posts, edit old post or reply to anything. Dave said he couldn't fix that as it was not under his aegis but that I should clear cookies &/or cache from my browser. Chrome, the browser Android/Alcatel gave me, only allow clearance of cache.

This didn't work at first but after my logging out of everything & shutting down tablet, seems to have worked now.

What a long strange trip its been. I hope all stays fixed.

Thanks be to (tuba)Dave.

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:26 pm

I guess I *should* go for the permanent link to the board after all this.

I hate permanent links, because then tablet thieves could pretend to be me. I don't have a secure logon for tablet itself, as its hard enough for me to get swiping to work.