The US FART Act

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

The US FART Act

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:48 pm

In government and politics, acronyms are common. NASA, for example, is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. NATO is the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

In Congress, lawmakers sometimes go to extraordinary lengths to come up with acronyms, in the hopes that it will make their bills easier to pass. One of my personal favorites – just because of the amount of effort that went into it – was the Generating Renewal, Opportunity, and Work with Accelerated Mobility, Efficiency and Rebuilding of Infrastructure and Communities throughout America Act (the GROW AMERICA Act).

But once in a while, folks forget to even notice that the first letters in a series of words can form a new word. Take this report from late yesterday, for example.

Axios has obtained a leaked draft of a Trump administration bill – ordered by the president himself – that would declare America’s abandonment of fundamental World Trade Organization rules.

The draft legislation is stunning. The bill essentially provides Trump a license to raise U.S. tariffs at will, without congressional consent and international rules be damned.

According to Axios, the proposal, which would give Trump unilateral power to ignore the basic tenets of the WTO, is titled the “United States Fair and Reciprocal Tariff Act.”

Or the US FART Act.

Honestly, is there no one at the White House who thinks these things through?
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... crude-name
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: The US FART Act

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:04 pm

I thought this Administration was reminding me of a Monty Python sketch, only not as funny.

--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

elwoodblues

#3 Post by elwoodblues » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 pm

This, like other things this administration has done, could have been on purpose just to mess with us. We will know if we ever see something like the Prioritization Of Official Protocol Act.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:12 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
In government and politics, acronyms are common. NASA, for example, is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
According to Axios, the proposal, which would give Trump unilateral power to ignore the basic tenets of the WTO, is titled the “United States Fair and Reciprocal Tariff Act.”

Or the US FART Act.
In acronyms, words such as "and" are typically skipped. It's NASA, not NAaSA. You can't just drop words, either. Therefore, the acronym would be USFRTA. HILARIOUS!! :roll:
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Estonut wrote: Therefore, the acronym would be USFRTA.
You call it USFRTA and we'll call it the FART act and we'll see which acronym sticks.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:46 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
You call it USFRTA and we'll call it the FART act and we'll see which acronym sticks.
I'm not going to call it anything. Everyone knows you and your ilk will be bitching and moaning about something else (made up like this one or true) soon enough.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Well, seeing how trump is slang for fart, I have one guess.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:41 pm

It's still better than what they named the light rail here: CLITT, Community Link Integrated Transit of Tucson.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
It's British slang, you tosser!
Groucho Marx

Billy Bored Thornton
Merry Man

#10 Post by Billy Bored Thornton » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Jesus F. Christ.

No wonder the Bored babes don't get involved. This whole thread is invective.
What the f$%$ck are you looking at?

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:You call it USFRTA and we'll call it the FART act and we'll see which acronym sticks.
It's British slang, you tosser!
Get stuffed!

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:24 pm

Estonut wrote: Everyone knows you and your ilk will be bitching and moaning about something else (made up like this one or true) soon enough.
So, no matter what you call it, is this act a good idea?

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:28 pm

Estonut wrote: Everyone knows you and your ilk will be bitching and moaning about something else (made up like this one or true) soon enough.
Unlike you, I don't opine about things I don't fully understand.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:18 am

Estonut wrote:
It would effectively withdraw the United States from the World Trade Organization by giving the President pretty much unfettered authority to impose tariffs at any time for pretty much any reason. Even with this craven Congress, I'm pretty sure the bill is DOA. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:29 am

Estonut wrote:Unlike you, I don't opine about things I don't fully understand.
If that were true, you'd have about three total posts on this Bored.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:19 am

Billy Bored Thornton wrote:Jesus F. Christ.

No wonder the Bored babes don't get involved. This whole thread is invective.
Yo mama!
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#17 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:05 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:So, no matter what you call it, is this act a good idea?
It would effectively withdraw the United States from the World Trade Organization by giving the President pretty much unfettered authority to impose tariffs at any time for pretty much any reason. Even with this craven Congress, I'm pretty sure the bill is DOA. --Bob
I believe that's what he's doing now. I haven't seen congress vote on any of these tariffs, have you?

But I think it's a moot point because IT'S A FAKE BILL!
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Pastor Fireball

#18 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 am

I'm still waiting on the Sheriff of T**ttingham to rebrand his Twitter feed as "Trump's Analytical Assimilation Holder". That way, we all can call it "Trump's An. Ass. Hol." for short.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:21 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:Unlike you, I don't opine about things I don't fully understand.
I believe that's what he's doing now. I haven't seen congress vote on any of these tariffs, have you?
True, but to impose the tariffs Donny had to make findings that Canada and our European allies are national security threats. I strongly suspect those findings will be subject to court challenge under the Administrative Procedure Act as arbitrary and capricious. --Bob

jarnon

#20 Post by jarnon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:45 am

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:I believe that's what he's doing now. I haven't seen congress vote on any of these tariffs, have you?
True, but to impose the tariffs Donny had to make findings that Canada and our European allies are national security threats. I strongly suspect those findings will be subject to court challenge under the Administrative Procedure Act as arbitrary and capricious. --Bob
But Justin Trudeau was polite to Trump in person, and as soon as Trump left, Trudeau said on TV that Canada won't be pushed around. Kim Jong-un wasn't that rude! How can you call Canada an ally?
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

tlynn78

#21 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:45 am

Is it just my imagination, or does this thread reek of Axe Body Spray and twelve-year-old boys' locker room? (with apologies to Christie)
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#22 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:02 pm

tlynn78 wrote:Is it just my imagination, or does this thread reek of Axe Body Spray and twelve-year-old boys' locker room? (with apologies to Christie)
I don't know. I try to avoid both.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

tlynn78

#23 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:59 am

Rexer25 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:Is it just my imagination, or does this thread reek of Axe Body Spray and twelve-year-old boys' locker room? (with apologies to Christie)
I don't know. I try to avoid both.
REXER! I really miss having someone to blame. You know, not being a lib and all.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire