R.I.P. Eight Belles

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
NellyLunatic1980

#26 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:44 am

Forgive me for injecting politics into the Kentucky Derby, but reports say that Hillary Clinton had picked Eight Belles to win. Very ironic that she picked the horse who had to be euthanized, considering that she's been riding a dead horse in the presidential race since February.

(This has been another Alan Smithee posting.)
Last edited by NellyLunatic1980 on Mon May 05, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

christie1111
11:11

#27 Post by christie1111 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:38 am

Nelly, I enjoy most of your postings, but I found this in very poor taste.

JMHO.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

earendel

#28 Post by earendel » Mon May 05, 2008 6:44 am

silvercamaro wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
They are the noblest of creatures, and when one of them dies, it is worse to me than when some people die. People have choices about their lives, but horses don’t. They are told to run, and they do it. They like it, most of them, but they might like something else better.
I'm with you.
I hope she knew she placed.
She knew. She literally gave everything she had to try to keep up with the winner.

Since Barbaro's terrible injury and subsequent death at the Kentucky Derby, many tracks around the country have resurfaced with Polyturf, which is supposed to be far easier on the horses. Now we have another horse that has been destroyed in this country's most prominent race on a track that has kept its old surface for the sake of "tradition." The time has come for the installation of a new surface at Churchill Downs. Correction: a new track is overdue.
The Polytrack surface hasn't worked out quite as well as anticipated here in the Bluegrass State. Keeneland has a Polytrack surface and horsemen complain about it. IIRC a study showed that the number of injuries didn't decrease after the new track surface was installed.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#29 Post by earendel » Mon May 05, 2008 6:48 am

gotribego26 wrote:Here are two articles about problems with Breeding and unsound horses - the first is old - it is about Ruffian. The second is written after today's race. Native Dancer and Reviewer are two of the dominant forces in thoroughbreds today. THe cross has increased unsound horses. I know Eight Belles had Native Dancer on both sides of her pedigree.

http://www.reines-de-course.com/ruffian.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=topnews

I've been a horse racing fan for much of my life - I sense the problem is getting worse, but I've never seen an injury like today's.
You've made a good point - all of the current registered Thoroughbreds trace their ancestry back to one of only three stallions and one of 74 broodmares. They are bred for various purposes (all of which are sports-related, such as show jumping, dressage and racing). Such a small gene pool means the greater likelihood of problems; not only that but if one is breeding for speed, the density of the bones is not likely to be a consideration.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#30 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:19 am

silvercamaro wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
That might seem like a good argument, except that Barbaro won the Kentucky Derby then got injured at The Preakness.
Yes. I wrong. I am pleased for you.
zing

ouch

zap