I Must be Old Now

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
danielh41

I Must be Old Now

#1 Post by danielh41 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:57 am

Yesterday, I went to the last Major League Baseball game that will ever be played at The Ballpark in Arlington (I refuse to use the purchased name of the place). Going to the last game at any ballpark doesn't make one feel old, unless you also went to the first game ever played in that ballpark. In fact, I went to the last game ever played at the Rangers' old place, Arlington Stadium, on October 3, 1993 and watched them dig up home plate and move it to the Ballpark construction site after that last game. And on April 11, 1994, I attended the very first game played there (which included the greatest rendition of the National Anthem that I have ever heard):

They did have the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra return yesterday for the final National Anthem there, but Van Cliburn was sadly unavailable...

Bob Juch

Re: I Must be Old Now

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:07 am

So what are they going to do when the XFL crashes and burns?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

danielh41

#3 Post by danielh41 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:38 am

Bob Juch wrote:So what are they going to do when the XFL crashes and burns?
I've been wondering that myself. My son and I were talking, and I told him that I was giving the XFL a max of three years (and it will probably be less than that).

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:56 am

My son's early birthday present was a trip to yesterday's season finale at Citi Field. For a little while I'd hoped the game would be relevant (in which case I was going to try very hard to fly across the country to join him there) but that wasn't to be. He had a great time, though, particularly in light of the thrilling ending.

And as of today, I no longer have a teenage son. So don't talk to me about getting old. :evil: --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:55 am

I'm so old I remember when the Texas Rangers were the Washington Senators..I listened to their last game in Washington as it was against the Yankees. I remember the Senators had to forfeit in the 9th inning because fans stormed the field to collect some souvenirs.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Bob78164 wrote:My son's early birthday present was a trip to yesterday's season finale at Citi Field. For a little while I'd hoped the game would be relevant (in which case I was going to try very hard to fly across the country to join him there) but that wasn't to be. He had a great time, though, particularly in light of the thrilling ending.

And as of today, I no longer have a teenage son. So don't talk to me about getting old. :evil: --Bob
I have a 14-year-old; I feel very old anyway.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.