Toaster preview

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Toaster preview

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:23 pm

Baltimore has already been eliminated from contention for the American League East division title. The Orioles' tragic number for elimination from playoff contention is 10 (because Seattle and Oakland still have a whole bunch of games left against each other). --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

elwoodblues

Re: Toaster preview

#2 Post by elwoodblues » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:22 pm

I just noticed that the Yankees are 30 games over .500 and are still 10 games behind the Red Sox.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:35 pm

elwoodblues wrote:I just noticed that the Yankees are 30 games over .500 and are still 10 games behind the Red Sox.
The Red Sox cliched a winning season a few days ago. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:24 pm

elwoodblues wrote:I just noticed that the Yankees are 30 games over .500 and are still 10 games behind the Red Sox.
aaaaand now it's 31 games over .500 and STILL 10 games behind.

:( :x :twisted:

I'm holding onto hope by remembering the 2001 season, when the Seattle Mariners won 116 games but lost to the Yankees in the ALCS. But damn, those Red Sox are on fire. First things first. Gotta make sure we hang onto that top Wild Card spot...the Oakland A's are charging hard. Get into the playoffs, where everyone left is at 0-0.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
aaaaand now it's 31 games over .500 and STILL 10 games behind.

:( :x :twisted:

I'm holding onto hope by remembering the 2001 season, when the Seattle Mariners won 116 games but lost to the Yankees in the ALCS. But damn, those Red Sox are on fire. First things first. Gotta make sure we hang onto that top Wild Card spot...the Oakland A's are charging hard. Get into the playoffs, where everyone left is at 0-0.

For all the whining and crying I've heard about how unfair the unbalanced schedule is, it's doing exactly what it was meant to do: Make teams win games within their division...

Red Sox: 43-15 vs. the AL East
Yankees: 27-24 vs. the AL East

Perhaps more vividly....

Red Sox: 14-2 against the shitty Baltimore Orioles
Yankees: 6-6 against the shitty Baltimore Orioles

The 2015 Pirates found out what happens when you don't take care of business within your own division....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Pastor Fireball

#6 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:03 am

Meanwhile, my hometown team is still hot trash. Even if they win out, they will still finish no better than one game under .500. The crazy thing is that the NL is so weak this season that 67 wins is still currently in the hunt for a wild card.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:27 am

Red Sox magic number is 33:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#8 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:51 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
For all the whining and crying I've heard about how unfair the unbalanced schedule is, it's doing exactly what it was meant to do: Make teams win games within their division...

Perhaps more vividly....

The 2015 Pirates found out what happens when you don't take care of business within your own division....

lb13

No whining from this camp. Agree 100%. Teams SHOULD play more games against the other teams in their division than they do against other teams. The Yankees have nobody else to blame but themselves for not taking the lunch money from the lousy teams in their division. It is merely their misfortune to be in the same division as the team making a possibly record-shattering run. To paraphrase Pedro's words he once used regarding the Yankees, about all we can do right now is tip our caps to the Sox and call them our daddies. That, and hope that they hit a badly timed cold streak when the playoffs start (assuming the Yanks get there, that is...).
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 am

Vandal wrote:Red Sox magic number is 33:

Clever, but it doesn't get a rise outta this Yankee fan...a LOT of us were secretly wishing A-Rod would get knocked on his ass. Never been a fan.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:06 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

Perhaps more vividly....

lb13

No whining from this camp. Agree 100%. Teams SHOULD play more games against the other teams in their division than they do against other teams. The Yankees have nobody else to blame but themselves for not taking the lunch money from the lousy teams in their division. It is merely their misfortune to be in the same division as the team making a possibly record-shattering run. To paraphrase Pedro's words he once used regarding the Yankees, about all we can do right now is tip our caps to the Sox and call them our daddies. That, and hope that they hit a badly timed cold streak when the playoffs start (assuming the Yanks get there, that is...).

For the record, much of the whining I was referring to was coming from the analytical nerds who believe it is unfair that teams battling for the wild cards don't have to play the same schedules. I find it fitting that the wild card race is unfair, as it's yet another carrot for teams to just win your division so you don't have to worry about stuff like that. Then again, I'm sure Seattle and Oakland would love to have 19 games against the Orioles. The West is the only AL division without an epically awful team....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com