Question about "The Color Purple" Musical

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
trevor_macfee

Question about "The Color Purple" Musical

#1 Post by trevor_macfee » Sun May 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Hi everyone - I have the opportunity to go see "The Color Purple" on stage tonight (the touring production) and my wife cannot go. I'm hoping that someone may check in this afternoon who has seen it and could tell me if it's appropriate for my 11-year old daughter. She LOVES theatre - seeing it and being in it - but I'm not sure about taking her to this one. I'm pretty sure she could follow the plot, and the website says "for 10 and up," but I'm wondering if anyone might have more detailed info.

If it helps, we did see Grease on Broadway and she was ok with some of the "adult" themes in it (and I was ok too, I think).
Thanks!

tanstaafl2

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:52 pm

I saw the touring production some time ago. I don't have a 10 year old (or any children for that matter) so I may not be the best judge. As I recall it seemed fine but certainly had some of the elements of the movie, sexual overtones, bar scenes, discussions/songs about domestic violence, etc. Don't recall the language specifically but I doubt it would be rated "G" although I don't recall it being particularly severe.

Might be able to find some samples on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxpuz9A1 ... re=related
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun May 04, 2008 2:00 pm

The story in the book has some adult themes but a bright preteen or teen will be very able to keep up, and have some good talking material for afterward.

The themes includes domestic violence, drinking, and homosexuality, specifically, among others. Those are the ones I would spend a moment preparing her for, as well as asking afterward what she thought of things.

As you know, it is a dark story but it ends with hope. I am looking forward to seeing it here next spring.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun May 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Hmmm. It's probably too late now, but I called Mom, who teaches fifth-graders, and she voted against it. She said the movie affected her deeply, and they can't have changed too much of the plot for the ending to work.

As always, this comes down to the 11-year-old herself.

Good luck.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

trevor_macfee

#5 Post by trevor_macfee » Tue May 06, 2008 6:30 am

Thank you for your helpful replies! I ultimately decided to err on the side of caution and not take my daughter to the show. She'll have plenty of time as she gets older to see The Color Purple and everything else.

Actually, as much as she loves going to plays, especially musicals, she wasn't all that enthused about going - Sunday was a really beautiful day and she was really enjoying playing outside with her friends. Which is good, too.

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:34 am

I would like to know if you went and if you did, what is your response to your own question, now that you have the info you were asking others if they had.

I hope that made sense.