RIP Aretha Franklin

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

RIP Aretha Franklin

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:01 am

:cry:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vandal
Director of Promos

Re: RIP Aretha Franklin

#2 Post by Vandal » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 am

From Paul McCartney on Twitter:
Let’s all take a moment to give thanks for the beautiful life of Aretha Franklin, the Queen of our souls, who inspired us all for many many years. She will be missed but the memory of her greatness as a musician and a fine human being will live with us forever. Love Paul
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

themanintheseersuckersuit

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:11 am

R E S P E C T In Perpetuity
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 am

She was the TRUE Diva. Mariah, XTina, Ariana, and other modern day pretenders to the throne just don't get it. They have the TECHNICAL skills, but don't have the SOUL. They're so busy cramming 274 notes into one line, showing off how awesome their vocal runs are, that they don't seem to have a clue about the meaning of the words they're singing. Excellent VOCALISTS, lousy SINGERS. Aretha could break off an overdone run now and then, especially in later years, but in her prime she usually picked her spots, and could do more with a couple of seconds of silence than these current stars do with a million vocal runs.

The phrase "often imitated but never duplicated" comes to mind.

You will always have my "Respect", Lady Soul...
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:48 am

She was a rose in spanish harlem. That is my favorite Aretha song.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Pastor Fireball

#6 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:52 am

Not totally unexpected... but, man, this news hurts a lot.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:22 am

Expected for a few days but still sad to hear.

I loved her in the Blues Brothers:

Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am

She'll forever be doing that "very early music video", in the streets of Detroit, in my mind.

(Ella Fitzgerald's even early music video was in an NYC subway car, I believe with Sinatra among the passengers.)

And when Aretha got pregnant as a young teen, way before she was a recording star, her preacher father did *not* throw her out of the house. She was still his little girl.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#9 Post by Vandal » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:07 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mellytu74

#10 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:22 am

Been listening to "The Electrifying Aretha Franklin" for the last couple of days.

Aretha singing old chestnuts like "Ac-Cen-Tchu-ate the Positive" and "I Surrender Dear" and, my personal favorite, "Rockabye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody."

I had that album and "The Tender, the Moving Aretha Franklin." I used to play them for TLAF and THFD, so they could hear that the younger singers appreciated the old chestnuts. I would match Aretha's version of "I Apologize" to Billy Eckstine's any day of the week - grittier versus smooth, but just as legit.

And FABULOUS jazzy version of Lover Come Back that has long been a favorite of mine.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:37 am

In this area in the 1960s, you could count on RadioDudes for Country or Western or Country-Western or American Top 40.

Somehow, You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman made it into the Top 40, and I was an Aretha fan for life. I like Respect better now, but I'm sure she never sang a bad note.

As President Obama said (more or less), condolences to all of us who loved her songs.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm

This is my favorite Aretha song, but not because of Aretha - what makes this song for me is Cissy Houston's angelic descant in the background (she sounds like she’s in the next room, in a great way!).

The song was written by Carol Franklin, Aretha’s sister, and the production is just stunning, with kick-ass horns, and the whole thing is SLOW … you have to earn every note and chord resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=PB2Mu2zBzjw
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

jarnon

#13 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Donald J. Trump wrote:The Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, is dead. She was a great woman, with a wonderful gift from God, her voice. She will be missed!
We can all agree about that.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

SpacemanSpiff

#14 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Sad news indeed.

I think I'll break out my DVD of the "Muscle Shoals" documentary tonight, in which she was a major participant.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Pastor Fireball

#15 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:08 am

It also occurred to me that yesterday was the 41st anniversary of Elvis Presley's death. And, as Vandal noted in another thread, yesterday was the 70th anniversary of Babe Ruth's death.

A very sad coincidence that August 16 will go down as the day that we lost the Queen, the King, and the Sultan.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)