RIP Pawtucket Red Sox

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

RIP Pawtucket Red Sox

#1 Post by Vandal » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 am

AAA affiliate of the Boston Red Sox are moving to Worcester, Mass.
PAWTUCKET, RI — Channel 12 is reporting the Pawtucket Red Sox this morning are notifying the governor and the Pawtucket mayor the decision has been made about the team's future. The PawSox are leaving for Worcester.

The story broke Thursday on This Week In Worcester.com. The story called the move a "done deal" and said the reason was due to money. The City of Worcester had made the team a better offer.

The Worcester officials are meeting at City Hall at 2 p.m. to make the announcement. So the WooSox may be official later today. Minor League Baseball in July applied for the WooSox trademark, as the Worcester Telegram & Gazette reported last week.

Fans have already started an unofficial WooSox Twitter page. One of the posts consoles Pawtucket fans with the information Worcester isn't gloating. They're just proud to become a AAA town. A tweet storm from Rhode Islanders has not been so mellow. Many fans are furious with the state General Assembly for failing to work out a deal.
WooSox just doesn't have the same flair as PawSox.

I haven't been to a PawSox game in years, but my son goes quite often. Now the team is a lame duck until the move to Worcester in a few years.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

bazodee

Re: RIP Pawtucket Red Sox

#2 Post by bazodee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:38 am

I used to go to games at McCoy field in Pawtucket. I grew up in the next town over (Attleboro). Providence is getting big enough that perhaps they can attract another minor league team in either baseball or hockey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:45 am

So, instead of the Pawsox, they'll be the Wosox.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

bazodee

#4 Post by bazodee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:49 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:So, instead of the Pawsox, they'll be the Wosox.
If you actually use the New England pronunciation of Worcester, they will be the wuss-sox

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:07 am

bazodee:

Apparently that has been thought of because the news media is all calling them the Woosox. Still awful.

Rhode Island put up a couple bids, one to build a stadium in Providence's historic district, which didn't go so well, & what NPR's reporters say was a very good plan to stay in Pawtucket, which the RI legislature somehow inexplicably refused to vote on.

Nobody's voted on this Worcester plan yet either, but its said to be a done deal.