Stranded Movie Revenue in Angola-Anecdote , not a scam

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Stranded Movie Revenue in Angola-Anecdote , not a scam

#1 Post by Spock » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 am

Reading a memoir of Professional Hunter who guided in Angola in the 1960's-just before it went ass over end. Ran across a fun anecdote that shows just how connected much of Africa was to the larger world, compared to how it is now.

He was guiding Oscar Brooks, a top exec of Warner Brothers. The author included a letter from Brooks asking if he could pay much of the fee in Angolan money as he had money there from movie revenue and he would like to use it. There were obviously many decades since when there was not much movie revenue in the country.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

Brings to mind a couple of books from about 15 years ago where the author traveled (at great risk) on the Congo River. The thing that gobsmacks me is that (as a young woman) his mother and another young lady traveled through the Congo in 1957 just as regular tourists. It was on the circuit, so to speak.

jarnon

Re: Stranded Movie Revenue in Angola-Anecdote , not a scam

#2 Post by jarnon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:29 pm

I'm helping a rabbi friend of mine with his family tree. His great-grandfather, from Lithuania, moved to Bulawayo around 1900. Bulawayo had a thriving Jewish community back then, and East European Jews used it as a first stop to a better life. After a few years, the family went to England, Canada, and eventually America.

Speaking of genealogy, Spock, I've been saving information about your ancestors for over a year (taping my watch).
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:11 pm

jarnon wrote:I'm helping a rabbi friend of mine with his family tree. His great-grandfather, from Lithuania, moved to Bulawayo around 1900. Bulawayo had a thriving Jewish community back then, and East European Jews used it as a first stop to a better life. After a few years, the family went to England, Canada, and eventually America.

Speaking of genealogy, Spock, I've been saving information about your ancestors for over a year (taping my watch).
Yeah, I want it. What is the procedure?

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Spock wrote:
jarnon wrote:I'm helping a rabbi friend of mine with his family tree. His great-grandfather, from Lithuania, moved to Bulawayo around 1900. Bulawayo had a thriving Jewish community back then, and East European Jews used it as a first stop to a better life. After a few years, the family went to England, Canada, and eventually America.

Yeah, I want it. What is the procedure?
Did you get my PM? Email me, or send me a PM with your email address.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי