Cohen pleads guilty on 8 counts

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
a1mamacat

Cohen pleads guilty on 8 counts

#1 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:50 pm

5 tax, 1 bank fraud, and 2 campaign payment things
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Cohen pleads guilty on 8 counts

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:13 pm

When he goes to prison, his room and board will be free. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Deputy US Attorney Robert Khuzani wrote:He worked to pay money to silence two women that had information that he believed would be detrimental to the 2016 campaign. In addition, Mr. Cohen sought reimbursement for that money by submitting invoices to the candidate's company which were untrue.
Jake Tapper wrote:Former Trump fixer Michael Cohen pleads guilty to 5 counts of evasion of assessment of income tax liability; 1 count false statements to a bank; 1 count causing an unlawful corporate contribution; 1 count excessive campaign contribution

Cohen testified that he broke the law to conceal information from the public "in coordination and at the direction of a candidate for federal office" whom it would have hurt.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Second time in 20 years that a president has been investigated for all sorts of possible crimes, but what got him was he couldn't keep his pants zipped.

In both cases, they were known to be lotharios and were still elected. At one time, that sort of behavior was disqualifying. Now it's accepted, and I wonder, does it perversely enhance the candidate's image for some voters?
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 pm

And the hits keep coming.

Congressman Duncan Hunter and his wife have just been indicted on campaign finance violations.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/politics ... l?adkey=bn
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:47 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:And the hits keep coming.

Congressman Duncan Hunter and his wife have just been indicted on campaign finance violations.

His partner in crime is his own wife. That's a refreshing change.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Cohen's guilty plea will probably end the stay of the Stormy Daniels litigation, and permit Avenatti to depose Donny to find out what he knew about the payoffs and when he knew it. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:40 pm

jarnon wrote:

Nate Silver currently lists Hunter's District as Likely Republican with him having an 8/9 chance of winning at a projected vote of 55.4-45.6% I'm pretty sure this news hasn't been factored in yet.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:02 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
jarnon wrote:

Nate Silver currently lists Hunter's District as Likely Republican with him having an 8/9 chance of winning at a projected vote of 55.4-45.6% I'm pretty sure this news hasn't been factored in yet.
I'm certain of it. There's a large penalty for scandals (14 points, as I recall), and a federal indictment of this nature fits comfortably within Nate's deposition. That district is now in play. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:57 pm

I just read that Duncan Hunter and Chris Collins were the first two Republican Congressmen to endorse Trump for President.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:38 pm

My
Attorney
Got
Arrested
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#12 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:41 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:I just read that Duncan Hunter and Chris Collins were the first two Republican Congressmen to endorse Trump for President.

I'm seeing a pattern here.
Next Congressmen to endorrse trump, from a list in Wikipedia:
Sen. Jeff Sessions (Ala.)
Scott DesJarlais (Tenn.)
Tom Marino (Penn.)

DesJarlais and Marino are running in solid GOP districts. Neither are accused of any crimes.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Serious questions:

Cohen says he is guilty of making payments (hush money) to women in an "attempt to affect the outcome of an election".

Is that a crime? If so, why? What are advertisements and political ads, but the product of payments to affect the outcome of an election.

Whatabout: How about payments made during the campaign to Trump accusers by Lisa Bloom? How are those different.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:53 pm

BackInTex wrote:Serious questions:

Cohen says he is guilty of making payments (hush money) to women in an "attempt to affect the outcome of an election".

Is that a crime? If so, why? What are advertisements and political ads, but the product of payments to affect the outcome of an election.

Whatabout: How about payments made during the campaign to Trump accusers by Lisa Bloom? How are those different.
It's an illegal campaign contribution (because he used a corporation and because he didn't use Donny's money), and if he was telling the truth when he testified under oath that he did it at Donny's direction (excuse me, in coordination with and at the direction of a candidate for federal office) for the principal purpose of preventing harm to his political prospects, then Donny is guilty of the criminal offense of conspiracy to violate campaign laws.

Payments made to victims to pay their living expenses so they can pursue their claims aren't campaign contributions. But Lisa Bloom didn't make any such payments. --Bob

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

It's an illegal campaign contribution (because he used a corporation and because he didn't use Donny's money), and if he was telling the truth when he testified under oath that he did it at Donny's direction (excuse me, in coordination with and at the direction of a candidate for federal office) for the principal purpose of preventing harm to his political prospects, then Donny is guilty of the criminal offense of conspiracy to violate campaign laws.

Payments made to victims to pay their living expenses so they can pursue their claims aren't campaign contributions. But Lisa Bloom didn't make any such payments. --Bob
What if the principal purpose is to keep his family in the dark. It's pretty obvious to me that Trump wasn't trying to look like an angel to win the election. He could couldn't have cared less if the voters knew. Remember, he said "I could shoot someone and they'd still vote for me."

And someone who says they believe Lisa Bloom's payments were to help the victims (as opposed to hurting Trump) are either liars or fools. She could have helped the victims without press conferences.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#16 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:19 pm

BackInTex wrote:What if the principal purpose is to keep his family in the dark. It's pretty obvious to me that Trump wasn't trying to look like an angel to win the election. He couldn't have cared less if the voters knew. Remember, he said "I could shoot someone and they'd still vote for me."
Well, Cohen said the payments were politically motivated. But who'd believe a liar like him? Maybe he should have taped his conversations with Trump.

Cohen also confessed that he was paid fraudulent legal fees by Trump Inc. as reimbursement for his under-the-table expenses. And Giuliani already admitted as much. (Trump hasn't had good luck with lawyers.) Disguising a personal expense as a business expense is illegal no matter who does it.

In case Trump has pardons ready, most of Cohen's crimes, and some of what Trump is accused of, also violate New York law.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:56 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

What if the principal purpose is to keep his family in the dark. It's pretty obvious to me that Trump wasn't trying to look like an angel to win the election. He could couldn't have cared less if the voters knew. Remember, he said "I could shoot someone and they'd still vote for me."

And someone who says they believe Lisa Bloom's payments were to help the victims (as opposed to hurting Trump) are either liars or fools. She could have helped the victims without press conferences.
But that’s allowed too. Hell, I can spend as much money as I care to advertising for or against specific candidates. As long as I don’t coordinate with the candidate or his campaign.

And if you think Donny was trying to hide this stuff from Melania, then you must think she’s a real idiot. —Bob

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Bob78164 wrote: And if you think Donny was trying to hide this stuff from Melania, then you must think she’s a real idiot. —Bob
Did I say Melania?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:27 pm

Donny's company, in response to sham invoices citing "election expenses," approved payments of $420,000 to reimburse Cohen for the hush money payments. If Donny knew about that (and I can't imagine he didn't), it's a crime. --Bob

Vandal
Director of Promos

#20 Post by Vandal » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:07 am

From Twitter:
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

If anyone is looking for a good lawyer, I would strongly suggest that you don’t retain the services of Michael Cohen!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:55 am

Vandal wrote:From Twitter:
Donald J. Trump

If anyone is looking for a good lawyer, I would strongly suggest that you don’t retain the services of Michael Cohen!
For once, Trump knows whereof he speaks. Cohen worked for him for over ten years, so I'm sure Trump got to be a good judge of Cohen's character and performance during that time.

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:59 am

Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:His partner in crime is his own wife. That's a refreshing change.
I'm certain of it. There's a large penalty for scandals (14 points, as I recall), and a federal indictment of this nature fits comfortably within Nate's deposition. That district is now in play. --Bob
Cook's political forecast has already moved this race from Solid Republican to Lean Republican.

Bob Juch

#23 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:08 am

Vandal wrote:From Twitter:
Donald J. Trump

For once, Trump knows whereof he speaks. Cohen worked for him for over ten years, so I'm sure Trump got to be a good judge of Cohen's character and performance during that time.
But he hires only the best people.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#24 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:26 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Cook's political forecast has already moved this race from Solid Republican to Lean Republican.
MPM
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#25 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:41 am

Bob78164 wrote:
I checked a couple of hours ago. I don't think Nate's model reflects the scandal yet. He already had it as Lean Republican, almost on the verge of Solid Republican. --Bob