John McCain to discontinue medical treatment

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: John McCain to discontinue medical treatment

#51 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 am

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:I like the little we know of Cindy McCain, and would have supported her appointment, but this seems appropriate as well, to replace McCain with someone who has many of his same positions.
The primary qualification for McCain's replacement is someone who will be sure to cast a vote to confirm Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. With McCain home sick in Arizona, the party breakdown on a vote was 50-49; with Kyl, it's 51-49, and the Democrats would have to convince two Republicans to switch their votes (and keep all the red-state Democrats up for re-election like Manchin and Donnelly on board). Cindy McCain might have been too much of a risk in that regard in the Republicans' way of thinking.
What would she, or anyone, have against Kavanaugh that is a legitimate reason not to confirm him?
Well, the idea that it's not right for Donald Trump to appoint a person while he's under investigation for various potential crimes that may result in litigation before the Supreme Court or that he may overturn settled law like Roe v. Wade or that he's very unpopular with the general public or that it's wrong to vote for a nominee right before a national election that may change the makeup of the Senate that votes on approval or because his records haven't been made available to the Senate and probably vetted.

Or more simply because they can. And that, at least according to Mitch McConnell, is enough reason (See: Garland, Merrick).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#52 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 am

Ritterskoop wrote:I told someone at work yesterday, "If you line up 100 assholes, 97 of them will be men. Just put any woman into any political position to replace most men, and we are likely to be better off than we were." I don't feel that way about most individual men I know in real life, though the left and right extremists on this board often prove the point.
I was thinking the same sort of thing while I was getting ready for work this morning. You still have some terrible women in politics though.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#53 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Bob Juch wrote:You still have some terrible women in politics though.
You know, I was pondering this again, and we can easily name 100 evil men over the course of history (let's say whatever list we are making stops 50 years ago, to allow for the lens of time to have cleared). I can think of very few legitimately evil women.

My earlier point was not about evil, just assholery, but the premise still applies. My grandmother was a genuine asshole but she was not evil.

The 50-year limit keeps us from labeling someone current as very bad, when with time, we might see that they had good intentions that just didn't play out well.

So yeah, if I haven't had time to do the research, which I always make time, if I get into a voting booth and have zero information, I always feel OK choosing a woman for a local contest. They are just way less likely to be horrible.

I mean, think about the women we know on this board. Wouldn't ALL of them, in office, do the best the could for the larger group and not be in it for their own interests first? To be fair, that is probably true of the men on this board also. We tend to be better educated than the general population, and able to see the larger picture, even though we clearly disagree A LOT on what that picture should look like.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#54 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
You know, I was pondering this again, and we can easily name 100 evil men over the course of history (let's say whatever list we are making stops 50 years ago, to allow for the lens of time to have cleared). I can think of very few legitimately evil women.

My earlier point was not about evil, just assholery, but the premise still applies. My grandmother was a genuine asshole but she was not evil.

The 50-year limit keeps us from labeling someone current as very bad, when with time, we might see that they had good intentions that just didn't play out well.

So yeah, if I haven't had time to do the research, which I always make time, if I get into a voting booth and have zero information, I always feel OK choosing a woman for a local contest. They are just way less likely to be horrible.

I mean, think about the women we know on this board. Wouldn't ALL of them, in office, do the best the could for the larger group and not be in it for their own interests first? To be fair, that is probably true of the men on this board also. We tend to be better educated than the general population, and able to see the larger picture, even though we clearly disagree A LOT on what that picture should look like.
Are you only talking about women in politics or just general ev8l? Cause there are a lotta nasty women throughout history.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#55 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:

You either are referring only to the U.S. or forgot about Dilma Rousseff, Indira Gandhi, and Benazir Bhutto.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#56 Post by BackInTex » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Bob Juch wrote: You either are referring only to the U.S. or forgot about Dilma Rousseff, Indira Gandhi, and Benazir Bhutto.
I'm quite sure she has forgotten about those women.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#57 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Bob Juch wrote: You either are referring only to the U.S. or forgot about Dilma Rousseff, Indira Gandhi, and Benazir Bhutto.
How is this not very few?
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#58 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:28 pm

I will confess I have never heard of the first person in that group.

Off to find out more.
--------

Ritterskoop

#59 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Just glancing through Wikipedia articles, which we know can be inaccurate but are often useful to enter a topic, it seems like all three of these people were reformers who had corruption issues but none of them strike me as completely and clearly evil. For that category, I would start my list with:

Well, crap. I googled "evil women" and got lists of people I have mostly never heard of. I did get to hear some Electric Light Orchestra, though, and that is never a bad thing.
--------

jarnon

#60 Post by jarnon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:33 am

ghostjmf wrote:Incidentally the original failers, in the New Testament, used as their excuse that being members of the tribe of Levi they would have had to undergo hours of ritual purification if they touched an "unclean" person. I read that in some telling, anyway. Which is always left out of the story when modern Christians tell it.

But it doesn't matter; the modern equivalent would be a potential stopper who doesn't want to be late for work, to have to get treatment for blood-borne conditions they might contract from a bleeding victim, etc.
I read about a recent good Samaritan, a Palestinian who helped Israeli soldiers change a flat tire, in a volatile area of the West Bank. He may be a Samaritan literally as well: his town is in the region that used to be called (and that right-wing Israelis still call) Samaria, and his ancestors probably include Samaritans who were forcibly converted to Islam.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#61 Post by jarnon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:57 pm

BTW, the world's leading expert on good Samaritans, Princeton professor emeritus John Darley, passed away recently.

Social psychologist John Darley, early researcher of bystander intervention, dies at 80

RIP
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי