Guess I may be a bad person

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Guess I may be a bad person

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:54 pm

I don't hold any person as an icon or idol. I admire and love certain peeps but don't idolize'em. That is all.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

Re: Guess I may be a bad person

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:45 pm

I don't understand the title. Why would your position be a bad one?

I like to think of our admiration of other people as a way for us to learn models of behaviors and virtues we'd like to live out in ourselves. If that's what it is, then we need to admire people with virtues and not just talent. If that makes sense.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:41 am

Ritterskoop wrote:I don't understand the title. Why would your position be a bad one?

I like to think of our admiration of other people as a way for us to learn models of behaviors and virtues we'd like to live out in ourselves. If that's what it is, then we need to admire people with virtues and not just talent. If that makes sense.
It makes much sense. I've always told my son that I'm happy for him that he's smart, but I'm proud of him for how he uses his smarts. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:08 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:I don't understand the title. Why would your position be a bad one?

It makes much sense. I've always told my son that I'm happy for him that he's smart, but I'm proud of him for how he uses his smarts.
Unless he performs at an open mic night?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:54 am

Maybe bad choice of words, it just seems that whenever a prominent person dies, and not just McCain, who obviously accomplished a lot, but actors, musicians, etc , the media and public overblow everything.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:22 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

It makes much sense. I've always told my son that I'm happy for him that he's smart, but I'm proud of him for how he uses his smarts.
Unless he performs at an open mic night?
He has, in fact, done precisely that. He's quite musical. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:48 pm

Beebs52 wrote:

Maybe bad choice of words, it just seems that whenever a prominent person dies, and not just McCain, who obviously accomplished a lot, but actors, musicians, etc , the media and public overblow everything.
So you are saying we shouldn't idolize people, which is an admirable stance. It sounds like you are saying people who DO idolize someone are the bad people, though. That's why I got confused about the title, which was the opposite. Maybe it is an extension of sarcasm, which often seems to be to be backwards-talking but for effect. Eh. It is not my strong suit.

To the original point, though, I wonder if maybe you are just weary of the reactions to celebrity deaths? I turn off the TV if there has been too much effusiveness about Aretha, or McCain, or whomever. Or let roomie change the channel to the swamp people, on which show I am always rooting for the gators. As long as he does not leave it on Family Guy, which is The Worst.

I don't think they will go overboard today on Neil Simon, who was 91 and there is only so much you can say past the obvious.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

So you are saying we shouldn't idolize people, which is an admirable stance. It sounds like you are saying people who DO idolize someone are the bad people, though. That's why I got confused about the title, which was the opposite. Maybe it is an extension of sarcasm, which often seems to be to be backwards-talking but for effect. Eh. It is not my strong suit.

To the original point, though, I wonder if maybe you are just weary of the reactions to celebrity deaths? I turn off the TV if there has been too much effusiveness about Aretha, or McCain, or whomever. Or let roomie change the channel to the swamp people, on which show I am always rooting for the gators. As long as he does not leave it on Family Guy, which is The Worst.

I don't think they will go overboard today on Neil Simon, who was 91 and there is only so much you can say past the obvious.
I love you, I do. Yes my "bad" was sarcastic. I don't think peeps who idolize people are bad, just misguided.
I have been bingewatching HGTV, behind everyone I know. Fixer Upper rocks. Plus TCM, and I do like the swamp peoples.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:16 pm

I resent that they put subtitles on there when I can understand every damn word.
--------

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:19 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I resent that they put subtitles on there when I can understand every damn word.
No kidding. But the shot sequences are sorta bogus. Didja see the one wi5h 5he python and gator at midnight?
Well, then

mellytu74

#11 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:31 pm

1) Swamp People?? How did I NOT know of this before now? :O

2) HGTV - I pick ideas from different shows. I am a big fan of rehab stuff - Nicole from the Midwest and Marnie from Delaware beaches (which are things we can actually use here). I also really like Beachfront Bargain Hunt - especially when "bargain" means different things in different places.

3) I had Fixer Uppere overload for a bit, but returned to it. I also really like to look at all the Magnolia stuff that Joanna Gaines has come up with.

4) TCM - goes without saying. :)

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 pm

When I was in the waiting room on jury duty they had the TVs on HGTV all the time, which I guess is a good, neutral show, except that none of us can afford any of the houses or renovations. Our days it was on a loop of a show called something like Love it or list it, where the show would renovate to your specs and then you could decide to keep the house or sell it. It was like the renovation person and the realtor were competing, or something.

I wanted to say just give me the $350,000, and I will build housing for 100 homeless people. Maybe 200. You know, in those shipping containers that just sit there stacked up by the freeway (we pass a huge yard of them on our way out of town)

https://dengarden.com/misc/Building-a-H ... nd-the-Why
--------

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:55 am

I love those HGTV shows. I guess its good I don't have cable.

I want to yell out to everybody "call an engineer *before* all your plans center around knocking that wall down. Check with the city/county/whatever about what their laws allow *before* all your plans center around that addition or new 3rd floor.".

One thing I will remember all my life is from about 30 years ago, where the homeowners did $10,000 worth of remodeling (a lot of $$ back then) "so that they wouldn't have to walk across the kitchen so much". The walk was about 8 feet, & they were *not* disabled.

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:06 am

Ritterskoop: *Of Course* the renovation person & realtor are competing.

What I *don't* like, but watch when I have access to cable anyway, are houseflippers, who alway use cruddier flooring than an owner would because they're always just staging the house to, well, flip it.

And I like Joanna Gaines' designs, but they're not showing you where they have to gas all that "found" wood so nothing crawls out of it. I wouldn't want it near my house even after that. If I had a house, that is.

And she would probably make me a big distressed-wood plaque for my livingroom that says "Spinster", which I would not like.

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:03 am

Ritterskoop wrote:I wanted to say just give me the $350,000, and I will build housing for 100 homeless people. Maybe 200. You know, in those shipping containers that just sit there stacked up by the freeway (we pass a huge yard of them on our way out of town)

https://dengarden.com/misc/Building-a-H ... nd-the-Why
Going somewhat off topic .... Skoop, have you seen the stories about turning dead retail malls into homeless residences? I can't find the link but I will post when I find it.

My favorite stuff is how "bargain" is defined on HGTV shows. Boonie hates those shows.

We are redoing our bathrooms (full and powder room) and we are getting ideas from the two shows I mentioned. But, overall, Boonie is not a fan.

I recall a story in Newsweek or Time many years ago about how the HGTV shows contributed in part to the housing bust because everything had to include the holy trinity of hardwood, stainless and granite. When we did our kitchen, we used Corian countertops because we didn't want to price it out of the neighborhood when we sell it eventually.

ghostjmf

#16 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:26 am

My sister did Corian in the kitchen because the pottery she makes is less likely to break if it hits it. Seriously. It would be even less likely to break on wood, but she hates butcher block countertops, which I love.

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Beebs52 wrote:I don't hold any person as an icon or idol. I admire and love certain peeps but don't idolize'em. That is all.
Too bad everyone else in this country isn't like you in that regard. trump wouldn't be President.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I resent that they put subtitles on there when I can understand every damn word.
Not everyone speaks Southern. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#19 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:I don't hold any person as an icon or idol. I admire and love certain peeps but don't idolize'em. That is all.
Too bad everyone else in this country isn't like you in that regard. trump wouldn't be President.
Then who do you think the Republican candidate would have been?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:56 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
I forget who came in second in the primaries.

BackInTex

#21 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Too bad everyone else in this country isn't like you in that regard. trump wouldn't be President.
Cruz. So he'd be President. I'd be more than happy with that.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:02 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote: Then who do you think the Republican candidate would have been?
Cruz. So he'd be President. I'd be more than happy with that.
If he had won, so would I. I doubt he would have beaten Hillary though.

BackInTex

#23 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Bob Juch wrote: I doubt he would have beaten Hillary though.
She lost to the absolutely worst candidate ever, besides herself. Cruz would have won.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#24 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:17 pm

BackInTex wrote:
She lost to the absolutely worst candidate ever, besides herself. Cruz would have won.
rec
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#25 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:21 pm

BackInTex wrote:
double rec
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton