WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
And I will now stop trying to make Dean Martin (Jerry) work.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 5300
Location: Somewhere between Bureaucracy and Despair
Anybody else have names spinning through their heads all day?

Extending jarnon's partial, I think this one is too good not to use. Trouble is, I can't find another associated word for Buck Buchanan, other than (you guessed it ) Chief. Any other word for John Marshall?

62. Justin Wilson, 26. Buck Henry, 48. Jack Buchanan

(FF) Jack Buck (St. Louis)
(FL) Buck Buchanan (??????)
(FL) Justin Henry (Kramer)
(LL) Henry Wilson (VP)

That frees up Henry Wallace to use with Melly's partial with Irving Fisher and John Stevens, which I think is too good to pass up. At least the Fisher and Stevens matches.

_________________
The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. -- Richard Feynman, "What do you Care what other People Think?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
mrkelley23 wrote:
Anybody else have names spinning through their heads all day?

Extending jarnon's partial, I think this one is too good not to use. Trouble is, I can't find another associated word for Buck Buchanan, other than (you guessed it ) Chief. Any other word for John Marshall?

62. Justin Wilson, 26. Buck Henry, 48. Jack Buchanan

(FF) Jack Buck (St. Louis)
(FL) Buck Buchanan (??????)
(FL) Justin Henry (Kramer)
(LL) Henry Wilson (VP)

That frees up Henry Wallace to use with Melly's partial with Irving Fisher and John Stevens, which I think is too good to pass up. At least the Fisher and Stevens matches.


Seriously.

65. Irving Fisher, 76. John Stevens 27. Henry Wallace
(FL) Irving Wallace (Chapman)
(LL) Fisher Stevens (Circuit)
(FF) John Irving (Rules)
(FL) Henry Fisher ( ?? )

The problem I am having ... of course there's a problem ... is I keep coming back to Wallace Stevens.

Addition to a couple of partial partial ideas from earlier:

24. Brian Wilson, 46. George Pickett

Wilson Pickett (Wicked)
George Wilson (Dennis)


50. Elizabeth Ryan 68. Paul Taylor 37. Wolfgang Petersen

Elizabeth Taylor (Last Summer)
Paul Petersen (Donna)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4260
Location: Merion, Pa.
mellytu74 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
That frees up Henry Wallace to use with Melly's partial with Irving Fisher and John Stevens, which I think is too good to pass up. At least the Fisher and Stevens matches.


Seriously.

65. Irving Fisher, 76. John Stevens 27. Henry Wallace
(FL) Irving Wallace (Chapman)
(LL) Fisher Stevens (Circuit)
(FF) John Irving (Rules)
(FL) Henry Fisher ( ?? )
I untangled this match.

65. Irving Fisher, 76. John Stevens, and 27. Henry Wallace
(FF) Henry Irving (Shakespeare)
(FL) Irving Wallace (Chapman)
(FL) John Fisher (Martyr)
(LL) Fisher Stevens (Circuit)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4260
Location: Merion, Pa.
mellytu74 wrote:
50. Elizabeth Ryan 68. Paul Taylor 37. Wolfgang Petersen

Elizabeth Taylor (Last Summer)
Paul Petersen (Donna)
Also Wolfgang Paul (Ion), but I can't find anyone named Taylor Ryan.


Last edited by jarnon on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
jarnon wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
That frees up Henry Wallace to use with Melly's partial with Irving Fisher and John Stevens, which I think is too good to pass up. At least the Fisher and Stevens matches.


Seriously.

65. Irving Fisher, 76. John Stevens 27. Henry Wallace
(FL) Irving Wallace (Chapman)
(LL) Fisher Stevens (Circuit)
(FF) John Irving (Rules)
(FL) Henry Fisher ( ?? )
I untangled this match.

65. Irving Fisher, 76. John Stevens, and 27. Henry Wallace
(FF) Henry Irving (Shakespeare)
(FL) Irving Wallace (Chapman)
(FL) John Fisher (Martyr)
(LL) Fisher Stevens (Circuit)


Thanks - as a fan of The Tudors, I should have picked up on John Fisher.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
jarnon wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
50. Elizabeth Ryan 68. Paul Taylor 37. Wolfgang Petersen

Elizabeth Taylor (Last Summer)
Paul Petersen (Donna)
Also Wolfgang Paul (Ion), but I can;t find anyone named Taylor Ryan.


I know - that stumped me too, which is why I hit the wall on it.

EDITED: Wait, wait.

It COULD be:

50. Elizabeth Ryan 68. Paul Taylor
FL Elizabeth Taylor (Last Summer)

37. Wolfgang Petersen 44. Paul Smith
FF Wolfgang Paul (Ion)
FL Paul Petersen (Donna)

We haven't used either Paul yet, had we?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4260
Location: Merion, Pa.
30. Casey Anthony, 86. Bob Jones, 56. Michael Kennedy
(FL) Casey Jones (Train)
(FF) Bob Casey (Pennsylvania)
(FL) Michael Anthony (?)
(LL) Anthony Kennedy (Swing)

24. Brian Wilson, 46. George Pickett, 97. Mary Harris Jones
(LL) Wilson Pickett (Wicked)
(FL) George Wilson (Dennis)
(FL) Brian Jones (Mick)
(FF) Mary Brian (?)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
jarnon wrote:
30. Casey Anthony, 86. Bob Jones, 56. Michael Kennedy
(FL) Casey Jones (Train)
(FF) Bob Casey (Pennsylvania)
(FL) Michael Anthony (?)
(LL) Anthony Kennedy (Swing)

24. Brian Wilson, 46. George Pickett, 97. Mary Harris Jones
(LL) Wilson Pickett (Wicked)
(FL) George Wilson (Dennis)
(FL) Brian Jones (Mick)
(FF) Mary Brian (?)


Mary Brian was the leading lady in the original version of The Front Page.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 5300
Location: Somewhere between Bureaucracy and Despair
jarnon wrote:
30. Casey Anthony, 86. Bob Jones, 56. Michael Kennedy
(FL) Casey Jones (Train)
(FF) Bob Casey (Pennsylvania)
(FL) Michael Anthony (?)
(LL) Anthony Kennedy (Swing)

24. Brian Wilson, 46. George Pickett, 97. Mary Harris Jones
(LL) Wilson Pickett (Wicked)
(FL) George Wilson (Dennis)
(FL) Brian Jones (Mick)
(FF) Mary Brian (?)


Michael Anthony played bass for the David Lee Roth era Van Halen, and was featured in the video for the song Jump.

_________________
The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. -- Richard Feynman, "What do you Care what other People Think?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4260
Location: Merion, Pa.
Slow but steady progress. Updated consolidation…

Identify the 105 people in the clues below. Match them into 35 groups of three according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Then, match each threesome with FOUR of the Associated Words.

No name will be used twice.

There are some possible alternate pairs, but if you can make an alternate threesome, I’ll be astounded. This may be tough, but you'll work it out.

*1. BILL CLINTON
*2. JAMES CLERK MAXWELL
*3. GLENN MILLER
4. CY YOUNG
5. JOHN DRYDEN
*6. MICHAEL CRAWFORD
7. HENRY FORD
8. BILL T JONES
*9. HENRY ADAMS
10. WILLIAM CLARK
11. PERRY MASON

12. The most important work of this British idealist philosopher was an 1893 study about the gap between appearances and reality.

13. BLAKE LEWIS
14. WILLIAM ROTH
*15. SAMUEL BUTLER
*16. DICK MARTIN
*17. LARRY ROBINSON
*18. GEORGE E. SMITH
*19. THOMAS LAWRENCE
20. WILLIAM ALLEN WHITE
21. BILL W(ILSON)
22. RICHARD ALLEN
23. JOHN HAWKINS
*24. BRIAN WILSON
25. DOROTHY SAYERS
*26. BUCK HENRY
*27. HENRY WALLACE
28. RON JOHNSON

29. This American scientist became embroiled in several nasty disputes, claiming retroactive priority over discoveries and inventions made by – among others – Samuel F.B. Morse and William T.G. Morton.
CHARLES THOMAS JACKSON

*30. CASEY ANTHONY
31. TOM ANDERSON
*32. BARNEY MILLER
33. JAMES THOMPSON

34. Both Paul McCartney and Julian Lennon have supported claims that this man was “the fifth Beatle,” though Julian’s father disparaged his contributions. (Of course; he would.)
BRIAN EPSTEIN? GEORGE MARTIN?

*35. JOE GOULD
*36. GEORGE KELLY
37. WOLFGANG PETERSEN
38. JAMES DOUGLAS
39. RICHARD "RIP" HAMILTON
*40. JOHNNY LONG
*41. HELEN KELLER
42. JOHN ANDERSON

43. A leading figure in the transition from Federal architecture to Greek Revival, he designed many New England homes and also authored the first American pattern books, such as 1830’s Practical House Carpenter.
ASHER BENJAMIN

44. PAUL SMITH
45. JOHN NEWTON
*46. GEORGE PICKETT
*47. ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
*48. JACK BUCHANAN
49. CLIFF BURTON
50. ELIZABETH RYAN
51. ROY KERR
52. HENRY BILLINGS BROWN
53. FRANK KING
*54. JONATHAN WALKER
*55. HENRY HUGGINS
*56. MICHAEL KENNEDY
57. LEONARD COLEMAN
58. ROBERT BROWNE
*59. KAY THOMPSON
60. CHARLES WHITMAN
*61. STEVE VAN BUREN
*62. JUSTIN WILSON
63. VIRGINIA JOHNSON
64. WILLIE BROWN
*65. IRVING FISHER
*66. DAVID SCOTT
67. WALTER BUTLER
68. PAUL TAYLOR
*69. THOMAS WYATT
70. GALE GORDON
*71. JAMES TAYLOR
*72. GEORGE CRUIKSHANK
73. HERBERT SPENCER
*74. LEE RAYMOND
*75. CLARENCE PAGE
*76. JOHN STEVENS
77. HOWARD DEAN
*78. WILL PARKER
79. PHIL JACKSON
80. ROBERT ANDERSON
81. WAYNE BRADY
*82. TONY BENNETT
*83. GEORGE JACKSON
*84. JANE PIERCE
*85. PHILLIP MORRIS
*86. BOB JONES

87. In 1953, this political theorist published a book that played a large role in shaping the modern American conservative movement; toward the end of his life, he became a vocal critic of Republican militarism and U.S. involvement in the Gulf War.
RUSSELL KIRK

88. WARREN CHRISTOPHER
89. ROBERT EDWARDS
90. JUSTIN ROSE

91. This poet was the 17th successor to the poet in Clue #5, but he became a dirty word to some who blamed him for the death another poet.
TED HUGHES

*92. GENE CHANDLER
93. ROBERT LINDSAY
*94. FRANK LUCAS
95. GILBERT STUART
96. NICK ADAMS
*97. MARY HARRIS JONES
98. GEORGE MARSHALL

99. In 1833, this English physiologist propounded the theory that the spinal cord is comprised by a chain of units that functions as an independent reflex arcs.
MARSHALL HALL

100. One of the chief proponents of the philosophical school of pragmatism, he also was a major figure in the development of progressive education.
JOHN DEWEY

*101. JAMES FENIMORE COOPER
102. GEORGE MITCHELL
*103. ELLIOTT CARTER
104. JOSH GIBSON
*105. JOHN FORD

TANGREDI
From the group of three names, make four new names. For each set of four new names, one will be made by combining two first names, one by combining two last names, and the other two will be combinations of first and last names. Each of the four new names will match a word from the word list.

MATCHES

75. Clarence Page, 103. Elliott Carter, and 35. Joe Gould
(FL) Clarence Carter (Patches)
(LL) Carter Page (Trump)
(FL) Elliott Gould (Trapper)
(FF) Joe Elliott (Def)

78. Will Parker, 47. Robert L Stevenson, and 18. George Smith
(FL) Robert Parker (Spenser)
(LL) Parker Stevenson (Hardy)
(FF) George Will (This Week)
(FL) Will Smith (Ali)

3. Glenn Miller, 105. John Ford, and 55. Henry Huggins
(FF) John Glenn (Mercury)
(LL) Miller Huggins (Murderers)
(FL) Henry Miller (Capricorn)
(FL) Glenn Ford (Gilda)

40. Johnny Long, 6. Michael Crawford, 83. George Jackson
(FL) Johnny Crawford (Rifleman)
(LL) Crawford Long (Anesthesia)
(FF) George Michael (Faith)
(FL) Michael Jackson (Neverland)

61. Steve Van Buren, 16. Dick Martin 85. Phillip Morris
(FL) Steve Martin (Jerk)
(LL) Martin Van Buren (OK)
(FF) Phillip Dick (Sheep)
(FL) Dick Morris (Clinton)

2. Francis Bradley, 101. James Fennimore Cooper 59. Kay Thompson
(FL) James Bradley (Astronomer)
(LL) Bradley Cooper (Sniper)
(FF) Kay Francis (One Way)
(FL) Francis Thompson (Hound)

41. Helen Keller, 19. Thomas Lawrence, 71. James Taylor
(FL) James Lawrence (Chesapeake)
(LL) Lawrence Taylor (Giant)
(FF) Helen Thomas (Press)
(FL) Thomas Keller (Laundry)

72. George Cruikshank, 94. Frank Lucas, 32. Barney Miller
(FL) George Lucas (Wars)
(LL) Lucas Cruikshank (Fred)
(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)

92. Gene Chandler, 74. Lee Raymond, and 9. Henry Adams
(FL) Gene Raymond (MacDonald)
(LL) Raymond Chandler (Farewell)
(FF) Henry Lee (Horse)
(FL) Lee Adams (Strouse)

69. Thomas Wyatt 84. Jane Pierce 15. Samuel Butler
(FF) Thomas Jane (Mickey)
(LL) Pierce Butler (South Carolina)
(FL) Jane Wyatt (Margaret)
(FL) Samuel Pierce (HUD)

54. Jonathan Walker, 66. David Scott, 17. Larry Robinson
(FF) Larry David (Jerry)
(FL) David Robinson (San Antonio)
(FL) Jonathan Scott (Property)
(LL) Scott Walker (Wisconsin)

1. Bill Clinton, 36. George Kelly, 82. Tony Bennett
(FF) Tony Bill (Blow)
(FL) Bill Bennett (Virtue)
(FL) George Clinton (Funk)
(LL) Clinton Kelly (Makeover)

62. Justin Wilson, 26. Buck Henry, 48. Jack Buchanan
(FF) Jack Buck (St. Louis)
(FL) Buck Buchanan (Chief)
(FL) Justin Henry (Kramer)
(LL) Henry Wilson (VP)

65. Irving Fisher, 76. John Stevens, and 27. Henry Wallace
(FF) Henry Irving (Shakespeare)
(FL) Irving Wallace (Chapman)
(FL) John Fisher (Martyr)
(LL) Fisher Stevens (Circuit)

30. Casey Anthony, 86. Bob Jones, 56. Michael Kennedy
(FL) Casey Jones (Train)
(FF) Bob Casey (Pennsylvania)
(FL) Michael Anthony (Jump)
(LL) Anthony Kennedy (Swing)

24. Brian Wilson, 46. George Pickett, 97. Mary Harris Jones
(LL) Wilson Pickett (Wicked)
(FL) George Wilson (Dennis)
(FL) Brian Jones (Mick)
(FF) Mary Brian (Front Page)

UNUSED ASSOCIATED WORDS
#20
Berkeley (Clark Kerr?)
Duran
West (John Spencer?)
Jefferson (Spencer Dryden?)
Donna (Paul Petersen?)
Albert
Peggy (Dewey Martin?)
Greg
Floyd
Bonnie
Clarence
Mark
Tammy
Jesse
Tor
Daisy
Daffy
Charity
Buck (Roy Clark?)
Panther (Blake Edwards?)
Rooster
Foxes
Whales
Fighters
Rascals (Robert Blake?)
Spy
Devil
Standup
Patriot
Mayor
Chaplain
Naturalist
Media Mogul
Godfather
Wife
North Carolina
South Carolina
Las Vegas
Seattle
Detroit
Baltimore
Nuremberg
Manila (George Dewey?)
Flatbush
Nile
Oz
Apollo
Empty
Metaphysical
Spiritual
Bewitched
Lust
Cello
Piccolo
Reconstruction
Gold Rush
Golf
Poker
Chop
Jelly
Ice Cream
Upstairs
Enterprise
Arcades
College
Fever
Formula
Ion (Wolfgang Paul?)
Magnetism
Ferry
Rules
Middle
Center
Lost
Last Summer (Elizabeth Taylor?)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 5300
Location: Somewhere between Bureaucracy and Despair
12. has both been identified and used in a match already -- Francis Bradley. This consolidation has 2. James Maxwell starred as if he had been used, but he has not. Probably dropped a digit in going back and forth -- I do that all the time in making consolidations.

Thanks for all the work you've put in to keeping the consolidations current on this one. I don't know that I would have made any progress without it.

_________________
The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. -- Richard Feynman, "What do you Care what other People Think?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm
Posts: 5516
All the matches are correct!

jarnon wrote:
Slow but steady progress. Updated consolidation…

Identify the 105 people in the clues below. Match them into 35 groups of three according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Then, match each threesome with FOUR of the Associated Words.

No name will be used twice.

There are some possible alternate pairs, but if you can make an alternate threesome, I’ll be astounded. This may be tough, but you'll work it out.

*1. BILL CLINTON
*2. JAMES CLERK MAXWELL
*3. GLENN MILLER
4. CY YOUNG
5. JOHN DRYDEN
*6. MICHAEL CRAWFORD
7. HENRY FORD
8. BILL T JONES
*9. HENRY ADAMS
10. WILLIAM CLARK
11. PERRY MASON

12. The most important work of this British idealist philosopher was an 1893 study about the gap between appearances and reality.

13. BLAKE LEWIS
14. WILLIAM ROTH
*15. SAMUEL BUTLER
*16. DICK MARTIN
*17. LARRY ROBINSON
*18. GEORGE E. SMITH
*19. THOMAS LAWRENCE
20. WILLIAM ALLEN WHITE
21. BILL W(ILSON)
22. RICHARD ALLEN
23. JOHN HAWKINS
*24. BRIAN WILSON
25. DOROTHY SAYERS
*26. BUCK HENRY
*27. HENRY WALLACE
28. RON JOHNSON

29. This American scientist became embroiled in several nasty disputes, claiming retroactive priority over discoveries and inventions made by – among others – Samuel F.B. Morse and William T.G. Morton.
CHARLES THOMAS JACKSON

*30. CASEY ANTHONY
31. TOM ANDERSON
*32. BARNEY MILLER
33. JAMES THOMPSON

34. Both Paul McCartney and Julian Lennon have supported claims that this man was “the fifth Beatle,” though Julian’s father disparaged his contributions. (Of course; he would.)
BRIAN EPSTEIN? GEORGE MARTIN?

*35. JOE GOULD
*36. GEORGE KELLY
37. WOLFGANG PETERSEN
38. JAMES DOUGLAS
39. RICHARD "RIP" HAMILTON
*40. JOHNNY LONG
*41. HELEN KELLER
42. JOHN ANDERSON

43. A leading figure in the transition from Federal architecture to Greek Revival, he designed many New England homes and also authored the first American pattern books, such as 1830’s Practical House Carpenter.
ASHER BENJAMIN

44. PAUL SMITH
45. JOHN NEWTON
*46. GEORGE PICKETT
*47. ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
*48. JACK BUCHANAN
49. CLIFF BURTON
50. ELIZABETH RYAN
51. ROY KERR
52. HENRY BILLINGS BROWN
53. FRANK KING
*54. JONATHAN WALKER
*55. HENRY HUGGINS
*56. MICHAEL KENNEDY
57. LEONARD COLEMAN
58. ROBERT BROWNE
*59. KAY THOMPSON
60. CHARLES WHITMAN
*61. STEVE VAN BUREN
*62. JUSTIN WILSON
63. VIRGINIA JOHNSON
64. WILLIE BROWN
*65. IRVING FISHER
*66. DAVID SCOTT
67. WALTER BUTLER
68. PAUL TAYLOR
*69. THOMAS WYATT
70. GALE GORDON
*71. JAMES TAYLOR
*72. GEORGE CRUIKSHANK
73. HERBERT SPENCER
*74. LEE RAYMOND
*75. CLARENCE PAGE
*76. JOHN STEVENS
77. HOWARD DEAN
*78. WILL PARKER
79. PHIL JACKSON
80. ROBERT ANDERSON
81. WAYNE BRADY
*82. TONY BENNETT
*83. GEORGE JACKSON
*84. JANE PIERCE
*85. PHILLIP MORRIS
*86. BOB JONES

87. In 1953, this political theorist published a book that played a large role in shaping the modern American conservative movement; toward the end of his life, he became a vocal critic of Republican militarism and U.S. involvement in the Gulf War.
RUSSELL KIRK

88. WARREN CHRISTOPHER
89. ROBERT EDWARDS
90. JUSTIN ROSE

91. This poet was the 17th successor to the poet in Clue #5, but he became a dirty word to some who blamed him for the death another poet.
TED HUGHES

*92. GENE CHANDLER
93. ROBERT LINDSAY
*94. FRANK LUCAS
95. GILBERT STUART
96. NICK ADAMS
*97. MARY HARRIS JONES
98. GEORGE MARSHALL

99. In 1833, this English physiologist propounded the theory that the spinal cord is comprised by a chain of units that functions as an independent reflex arcs.
MARSHALL HALL

100. One of the chief proponents of the philosophical school of pragmatism, he also was a major figure in the development of progressive education.
JOHN DEWEY

*101. JAMES FENIMORE COOPER
102. GEORGE MITCHELL
*103. ELLIOTT CARTER
104. JOSH GIBSON
*105. JOHN FORD

TANGREDI
From the group of three names, make four new names. For each set of four new names, one will be made by combining two first names, one by combining two last names, and the other two will be combinations of first and last names. Each of the four new names will match a word from the word list.

MATCHES

75. Clarence Page, 103. Elliott Carter, and 35. Joe Gould
(FL) Clarence Carter (Patches)
(LL) Carter Page (Trump)
(FL) Elliott Gould (Trapper)
(FF) Joe Elliott (Def)

78. Will Parker, 47. Robert L Stevenson, and 18. George Smith
(FL) Robert Parker (Spenser)
(LL) Parker Stevenson (Hardy)
(FF) George Will (This Week)
(FL) Will Smith (Ali)

3. Glenn Miller, 105. John Ford, and 55. Henry Huggins
(FF) John Glenn (Mercury)
(LL) Miller Huggins (Murderers)
(FL) Henry Miller (Capricorn)
(FL) Glenn Ford (Gilda)

40. Johnny Long, 6. Michael Crawford, 83. George Jackson
(FL) Johnny Crawford (Rifleman)
(LL) Crawford Long (Anesthesia)
(FF) George Michael (Faith)
(FL) Michael Jackson (Neverland)

61. Steve Van Buren, 16. Dick Martin 85. Phillip Morris
(FL) Steve Martin (Jerk)
(LL) Martin Van Buren (OK)
(FF) Phillip Dick (Sheep)
(FL) Dick Morris (Clinton)

2. Francis Bradley, 101. James Fennimore Cooper 59. Kay Thompson
(FL) James Bradley (Astronomer)
(LL) Bradley Cooper (Sniper)
(FF) Kay Francis (One Way)
(FL) Francis Thompson (Hound)

41. Helen Keller, 19. Thomas Lawrence, 71. James Taylor
(FL) James Lawrence (Chesapeake)
(LL) Lawrence Taylor (Giant)
(FF) Helen Thomas (Press)
(FL) Thomas Keller (Laundry)

72. George Cruikshank, 94. Frank Lucas, 32. Barney Miller
(FL) George Lucas (Wars)
(LL) Lucas Cruikshank (Fred)
(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)

92. Gene Chandler, 74. Lee Raymond, and 9. Henry Adams
(FL) Gene Raymond (MacDonald)
(LL) Raymond Chandler (Farewell)
(FF) Henry Lee (Horse)
(FL) Lee Adams (Strouse)

69. Thomas Wyatt 84. Jane Pierce 15. Samuel Butler
(FF) Thomas Jane (Mickey)
(LL) Pierce Butler (South Carolina)
(FL) Jane Wyatt (Margaret)
(FL) Samuel Pierce (HUD)

54. Jonathan Walker, 66. David Scott, 17. Larry Robinson
(FF) Larry David (Jerry)
(FL) David Robinson (San Antonio)
(FL) Jonathan Scott (Property)
(LL) Scott Walker (Wisconsin)

1. Bill Clinton, 36. George Kelly, 82. Tony Bennett
(FF) Tony Bill (Blow)
(FL) Bill Bennett (Virtue)
(FL) George Clinton (Funk)
(LL) Clinton Kelly (Makeover)

62. Justin Wilson, 26. Buck Henry, 48. Jack Buchanan
(FF) Jack Buck (St. Louis)
(FL) Buck Buchanan (Chief)
(FL) Justin Henry (Kramer)
(LL) Henry Wilson (VP)

65. Irving Fisher, 76. John Stevens, and 27. Henry Wallace
(FF) Henry Irving (Shakespeare)
(FL) Irving Wallace (Chapman)
(FL) John Fisher (Martyr)
(LL) Fisher Stevens (Circuit)

30. Casey Anthony, 86. Bob Jones, 56. Michael Kennedy
(FL) Casey Jones (Train)
(FF) Bob Casey (Pennsylvania)
(FL) Michael Anthony (Jump)
(LL) Anthony Kennedy (Swing)

24. Brian Wilson, 46. George Pickett, 97. Mary Harris Jones
(LL) Wilson Pickett (Wicked)
(FL) George Wilson (Dennis)
(FL) Brian Jones (Mick)
(FF) Mary Brian (Front Page)

UNUSED ASSOCIATED WORDS
#20
Berkeley (Clark Kerr?)
Duran
West (John Spencer?)
Jefferson (Spencer Dryden?)
Donna (Paul Petersen?)
Albert
Peggy (Dewey Martin?)
Greg
Floyd
Bonnie
Clarence
Mark
Tammy
Jesse
Tor
Daisy
Daffy
Charity
Buck (Roy Clark?)
Panther (Blake Edwards?)
Rooster
Foxes
Whales
Fighters
Rascals (Robert Blake?)
Spy
Devil
Standup
Patriot
Mayor
Chaplain
Naturalist
Media Mogul
Godfather
Wife
North Carolina
South Carolina
Las Vegas
Seattle
Detroit
Baltimore
Nuremberg
Manila (George Dewey?)
Flatbush
Nile
Oz
Apollo
Empty
Metaphysical
Spiritual
Bewitched
Lust
Cello
Piccolo
Reconstruction
Gold Rush
Golf
Poker
Chop
Jelly
Ice Cream
Upstairs
Enterprise
Arcades
College
Fever
Formula
Ion (Wolfgang Paul?)
Magnetism
Ferry
Rules
Middle
Center
Lost
Last Summer (Elizabeth Taylor?)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
mrkelley23 wrote:
Thanks for all the work you've put in to keeping the consolidations current on this one. I don't know that I would have made any progress without it.


Ditto from me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 5300
Location: Somewhere between Bureaucracy and Despair
And here I was thinking there couldn't be a better match for Rules than John Irving

42. John Anderson, 93. Robert Lindsay, 7. Henry Ford

(FF) Henry Robert (Rules)
(FL) Robert Ford (Jesse)
(FL) John Lindsay (Mayor)
(LL) Lindsay Anderson (Whales)

_________________
The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. -- Richard Feynman, "What do you Care what other People Think?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Did we lose this match along the way?

64. Willie Brown 100. John Dewey 98. George Marshall
FL George Dewey (Manila)
FF Willie John (Fever)
FL John Marshall ( ?? ) -since we used Chief for Buck Buchanan
LL Dewey Brown (Golf)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4260
Location: Merion, Pa.
mellytu74 wrote:
Did we lose this match along the way?

64. Willie Brown 100. John Dewey 98. George Marshall
FL George Dewey (Manila)
FF Willie John (Fever)
FL John Marshall ( ?? ) -since we used Chief for Buck Buchanan
LL Dewey Brown (Golf)
That still might work, but I'm betting on Dewey Martin, who was married to Peggy Lee. A different Dewey Martin was the drummer for Buffalo Springfield, but I don't know what his associated word is.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
jarnon wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
Did we lose this match along the way?

64. Willie Brown 100. John Dewey 98. George Marshall
FL George Dewey (Manila)
FF Willie John (Fever)
FL John Marshall ( ?? ) -since we used Chief for Buck Buchanan
LL Dewey Brown (Golf)
That still might work, but I'm betting on Dewey Martin, who was married to Peggy Lee. A different Dewey Martin was the drummer for Buffalo Springfield, but I don't know what his associated word is.


That's right - the Dewey Martin/Peggy Lee idea.

We can find another John for Willie Brown and Fever


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 5300
Location: Somewhere between Bureaucracy and Despair
Some more partials that keep rolling around...

John Newton, Wayne Brady, and someone

John Wayne (Rooster)
Wayne Newton (Las Vegas)


Howard Dean, Paul Smith, and someone

Paul Dean (Daffy)
Dean Smith (North Carolina)

_________________
The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. -- Richard Feynman, "What do you Care what other People Think?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
A couple more partials (including the ones we are working on with associated words -just so we don't lose them.

38. James Douglas 87. Russell Kirk and somebody
James Kirk (Enterprise)
Kirk Douglas (Lust)

58. Robert Browne 79. Phil Jackson
(LL) Jackson Browne Empty

50. Elizabeth Ryan 68. Paul Taylor and somebody
(FL) Elizabeth Taylor (Last Summer)

37. Wolfgang Petersen 44. Paul Smith and somebody
(FF) Wolfgang Paul (Ion)
(FL) Paul Petersen (Donna)

14. William Roth 43. Asher Benjamin
(FF) William Asher (Bewitched)

23. John Hawkins 57. Leonard Coleman
(LL) Coleman Hawkins (this may not be right since I can't find Body or Soul among the words)

70. Gale Gordon 25. Dorothy Sayers
(FF) Dorothy Gale (Oz)
(LL)
(FL) Gale Sayers (Piccolo)
(FL)

64. Willie Brown 45. John Newton 2. James Maxwell
FL James Brown (Godfather)
FF Willie John (Fever)
LL Maxwell Newton (Media Mogul)
FL John Maxwell ( WHICH John Maxwell??)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
OR ….

64. Willie Brown 5. John Dryden 73. Herbert Spencer

FF Willie John (Fever)
FL John Spencer (West)
LL Spencer Dryden (Jefferson)
FL Herbert Brown ... I know nothing about Nobel winners in Chemistry, so maybe someone has the word here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4260
Location: Merion, Pa.
58. Robert Browne, 29. Charles Jackson, and 104. Josh Gibson
(LL) Jackson Browne (Empty)
(FL) Robert Jackson (Nuremberg)
(FF) Josh Charles (Wife)
(FL) Charles Gibson (?)

38. James Douglas, 87. Russell Kirk, and 21. Bill Wilson
(FL) James Kirk (Enterprise)
(LL) Kirk Douglas (Lust)
(FF) Bill Russell (Center)
(FL) Russell Wilson (Seattle)

45. John Newton, 81. Wayne Brady, and 31. Tom Anderson
(FF) John Wayne (Rooster)
(FL) Wayne Newton (Las Vegas)
(FL) Tom Brady (Patriot)
(LL) Brady Anderson (Baltimore)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm
Posts: 5516
mellytu74 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
Did we lose this match along the way?

64. Willie Brown 100. John Dewey 98. George Marshall
FL George Dewey (Manila)
FF Willie John (Fever)
FL John Marshall ( ?? ) -since we used Chief for Buck Buchanan
LL Dewey Brown (Golf)
That still might work, but I'm betting on Dewey Martin, who was married to Peggy Lee. A different Dewey Martin was the drummer for Buffalo Springfield, but I don't know what his associated word is.


That's right - the Dewey Martin/Peggy Lee idea.

We can find another John for Willie Brown and Fever


Take another look at the above proposed trio. A close look.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
That still might work, but I'm betting on Dewey Martin, who was married to Peggy Lee. A different Dewey Martin was the drummer for Buffalo Springfield, but I don't know what his associated word is.


That's right - the Dewey Martin/Peggy Lee idea.

We can find another John for Willie Brown and Fever


Take another look at the above proposed trio. A close look.


Ferry

100. John Dewey 64. Willie Brown 34. George Martin
FL George Dewey (Manila)
FF Willie John (Fever)
FL John Brown ( Ferry )
LL Dewey Martin (Peggy)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 8038
Location: Philadelphia, PA
jarnon wrote:
58. Robert Browne, 29. Charles Jackson, and 104. Josh Gibson
(LL) Jackson Browne (Empty)
(FL) Robert Jackson (Nuremberg)
(FF) Josh Charles (Wife)
(FL) Charles Gibson (?)

38. James Douglas, 87. Russell Kirk, and 21. Bill Wilson
(FL) James Kirk (Enterprise)
(LL) Kirk Douglas (Lust)
(FF) Bill Russell (Center)
(FL) Russell Wilson (Seattle)

45. John Newton, 81. Wayne Brady, and 31. Tom Anderson
(FF) John Wayne (Rooster)
(FL) Wayne Newton (Las Vegas)
(FL) Tom Brady (Patriot)
(LL) Brady Anderson (Baltimore)


Are we looking for a word for Charles Gibson - TV newsguy or Charles Gibson - creator of the Gibson Girl? I can't find a word for either one but someone else might.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beebs52 and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.