I'd never heard that expression before (FL Gov.)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

Re: I'd never heard that expression before (FL Gov.)

#76 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Beebs52 wrote:rococo!
I STILL love that movie!! All these years later!!

When he runs up the Art Museum steps and looks down the Parkway ... brings me to tears.

Yo, Adrian!!

silverscreenselect

#77 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:41 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Oh yes, the Tea Party is full of racists. If I recall, it is a branch of the KKK. I used to go to Tea Party rallies. We would jump up and down and shout MONKEY! MONKEY! for hours. They would distribute the dog whistle codebook, then we would pledge allegiance to David Duke. Then we would clean up the area, pledge to oppress someone before the next meeting, and go home. You can cite the SPLC.
Well, if you would actually read the article I cited instead of taxing your mental powers to come up with an amazing array of highly witty retorts, you would notice that this is not the Tea Party, but a Facebook group that calls itself Tea Party and has some 94,000 members many of whom enjoy making racially inappropriate comments. And DeSantis wasn't just a member, but he was an administrator, who is responsible for managing and moderating the group. He was an administrator of that group up until this morning, shortly after the story broke in various newspapers.

And the article lists some other examples of DeSantis' past history. Of course, apologists like you can joke and excuse every one of them away, but they do add up.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#78 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Spock wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: I believe I remember Joe Biden saying much the same condescending words about Obama.
Remind me again how you called him a racist...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/
More whataboutism.
My God, you are a caricature.

When your answer to everything is labeling other's arguments as "Whataboutism" you really don't have much ammunition.

Pardon my French, but why in the
Spoiler
Fucking Hell
is it "Whataboutism" to bring Biden's comments into this?
Because you folks keep saying "What about ____" in response to any criticism of a Republican.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#79 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: Oh yes, the Tea Party is full of racists. If I recall, it is a branch of the KKK. I used to go to Tea Party rallies. We would jump up and down and shout MONKEY! MONKEY! for hours. They would distribute the dog whistle codebook, then we would pledge allegiance to David Duke. Then we would clean up the area, pledge to oppress someone before the next meeting, and go home. You can cite the SPLC.
Well, if you would actually read the article I cited instead of taxing your mental powers to come up with an amazing array of highly witty retorts, you would notice that this is not the Tea Party, but a Facebook group that calls itself Tea Party and has some 94,000 members many of whom enjoy making racially inappropriate comments. And DeSantis wasn't just a member, but he was an administrator, who is responsible for managing and moderating the group. He was an administrator of that group up until this morning, shortly after the story broke in various newspapers.

And the article lists some other examples of DeSantis' past history. Of course, apologists like you can joke and excuse every one of them away, but they do add up.
I'm an apologist? I'm sorry. Porcupine.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#80 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Spock wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: I believe I remember Joe Biden saying much the same condescending words about Obama.
Remind me again how you called him a racist...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/
More whataboutism.

When your answer to everything is labeling other's arguments as "Whataboutism" you really don't have much ammunition.

Spoiler
Fucking Hell
Because implying that we're hypocrites (although we're not, because Biden's case was different for a lot of reasons) has nothing to do with whether DeSantis's comments were acceptable. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#81 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Spock wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: More whataboutism.

Spoiler
Fucking Hell
Because implying that we're hypocrites (although we're not, because Biden's case was different for a lot of reasons) has nothing to do with whether DeSantis's comments were acceptable. --Bob
Righto. Biden said Obama was clean.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#82 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Here's why monkey now = N-word. Dems think polls = reality, so here's one for you.
Even as cable news networks debate reports of the existence of a recording of President Donald Trump using a racial slur, a new poll from Rasmussen Reports says that the president's approval rating among African-Americans is at 36 percent, nearly double his support at this time last year.

"Today's @realDonaldTrump approval ratings among black voters: 36%," Rasmussen said in a tweet. "This day last year: 19%."

That is a staggeringly high number for a man who only won 8 percent of the African-American vote in 2016.

It is even more unexpected given the president's rocky history on matters related to race, including his current nasty feud with former White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman, who has alleged Trump said "n word" on the set of the reality-TV show "The Apprentice."

Conservatives celebrated the poll as a sign of trouble for Democrats in upcoming elections.
Dems want their dependent class back!!!!!! So it is war, and they can ruin the reputations of their opponents based on any word they might say. Today it's 'monkey'. Wait til tomorrow to find out the next dog whistle word.

silverscreenselect

#83 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:37 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Dems want their dependent class back!!!!!!
Democrats have a lot of different classes. In fact, the only class that seems to favor Republicans nowadays are white men without a college education. And the way that Republicans keep alienating people left and right, they don't seem likely to make many inroads.

But keep tweeting that Rasmussen poll. It will make you feel better come November.

flockofseagulls104

#84 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Democrats have a lot of different classes. In fact, the only class that seems to favor Republicans nowadays are white men without a college education. And the way that Republicans keep alienating people left and right, they don't seem likely to make many inroads.

But keep tweeting that Rasmussen poll. It will make you feel better come November.
I don't use twitter and I never will. Too many people expressing their opinions that shouldn't even be allowed to have one.

flockofseagulls104

#85 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:55 pm

In fact, the only class that seems to favor Republicans nowadays are white men without a college education.
That's cause they didn't go to class.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#86 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:05 pm

Thx dude. Ima white, college-edjamacated female, who, tho dispirited with politicos in general, deem the Dem party as I deem eczema versus warts.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#87 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:47 pm

Beebs52 wrote:

Thx dude. Ima white, college-edjamacated female, who, tho dispirited with politicos in general, deem the Dem party as I deem eczema versus warts.
You are just an anecdote, don't count.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#88 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:52 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

I always wanted to be an anecdote. That way when I don't vote like my hub there will be a record. You can find me warshing my clothes by the stream.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#89 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:38 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
I always wanted to be an anecdote. That way when I don't vote like my hub there will be a record. You can find me warshing my clothes by the stream.
You warsh your clothes? How elitist of you. Don't you know we're in an environmental crisis? Probably a racist, too.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#90 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: You are just an anecdote, don't count.
You warsh your clothes? How elitist of you. Don't you know we're in an environmental crisis? Probably a racist, too.
Would you like to meet the Republican Senate nominee from Wisconsin? Are you above average? Or interested in meeting "above average people"?
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#91 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Would you like to meet the Republican Senate nominee from Wisconsin? Are you above average? Or interested in meeting "above average people"?
I agree with the last line of the flyer.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#92 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
I already know an above-average, ethical lawyer. I'll pass. I'd rather go to a Hillary Clinton fundraiser so I can meet Harvey Weinstein.

flockofseagulls104

#93 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 am

Hey, isn't 'thugs' a dog whistle word?
Andrew Cuomo, the esteemed and above average governor of NY, called ICE agents 'thugs' in a debate with the esteemed lunatic Cynthia Nixon.

The interesting thing is I googled it to get a nice link that none of the leftholes on this bored would read, and no 'approved' news source appeared until down the bottom of the second page of results. The Washington Post was on the first page, but it's behind a paywall. The WP article and the FIRST MSM result are the only two that don't have the word THUG in their headline. And it's not even mentioned until the bottom of the article. All the 'unapproved' sources seem to be outraged about that, since they mention it in the headline. Apparently, the 'approved' news sources don't think it's a big deal for the governor of a state to consider law enforcement agents to be 'thugs'. Geez, Nancy Pelosi believes MS-13 members to be children of God. I wonder if that's how Andy feels?

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/08/29 ... e-hofstra/

silverscreenselect

#94 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:28 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Hey, isn't 'thugs' a dog whistle word?
I'll bite. Exactly how is "thug" a dog whistle word? It's pretty straightforward what calling someone a thug means. It's like "crooked Hillary," there's no doubt about what the speaker meant.

Dog whistles are terms that might seem innocent on their face but when used in reference to a particular group has a derogatory meaning that's obvious to those who are aware of it.

And I'd add that the only people who seem outraged by this are the far right wing commentators like Michelle Malkin and Fox News.

And while we're at it, let's leave aside the reply that Congressman Lee Zeldin made today in response, calling Cuomo a thug, and let's go back a year to one of Zeldin's fellow NY Congressmen, Chris Collins, who said about Cuomo: "“He’s a thug, he’s a bully, he’s a blackmailer, and an extortionist, and that shows in how he deals with our Assembly and Senate. Let’s hope he continues to go after me That will just energize my district, which rightfully can’t stand the ground that Gov. Cuomo walks on. Let him bring it on.” If case you forgot, Collins may have some real thugs, bullies, blackmailers and extortionists to deal with up close and personal if he's convicted of all the insider trading charges against him.

https://wben.radio.com/articles/collins ... tortionist

As near as I can tell, nobody got really upset when Collins took on Cuomo. That's New York politics. It's only now that right wingers look for some straw to grasp on to and manufacture some degree of mock concern about saying something ugly about ICE.

flockofseagulls104

#95 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:46 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Hey, isn't 'thugs' a dog whistle word?
I'll bite. Exactly how is "thug" a dog whistle word? It's pretty straightforward what calling someone a thug means. It's like "crooked Hillary," there's no doubt about what the speaker meant.

Dog whistles are terms that might seem innocent on their face but when used in reference to a particular group has a derogatory meaning that's obvious to those who are aware of it.

And I'd add that the only people who seem outraged by this are the far right wing commentators like Michelle Malkin and Fox News.

And while we're at it, let's leave aside the reply that Congressman Lee Zeldin made today in response, calling Cuomo a thug, and let's go back a year to one of Zeldin's fellow NY Congressmen, Chris Collins, who said about Cuomo: "“He’s a thug, he’s a bully, he’s a blackmailer, and an extortionist, and that shows in how he deals with our Assembly and Senate. Let’s hope he continues to go after me That will just energize my district, which rightfully can’t stand the ground that Gov. Cuomo walks on. Let him bring it on.” If case you forgot, Collins may have some real thugs, bullies, blackmailers and extortionists to deal with up close and personal if he's convicted of all the insider trading charges against him.

https://wben.radio.com/articles/collins ... tortionist

As near as I can tell, nobody got really upset when Collins took on Cuomo. That's New York politics. It's only now that right wingers look for some straw to grasp on to and manufacture some degree of mock concern about saying something ugly about ICE.
Thanks for the explanation, perfessor. It's difficult to keep track of the convoluted dog whistle stuff. So Thugs actually means Thugs, then. ICE agents are real thugs, then. OK.
This is an example of Abstract-Impressionistic whataboutism. I can tell that because the whatabout has absolutely nothing to do with the what.

flockofseagulls104

#96 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:57 am

I'm kinda new at this. If ICE agents are thugs, were they thugs when Obama was President? Did they all become thugs after Jan 2017? Did they all become thugs at one time? Or was it agent by agent over a period of time? Is our domestic police force in danger of becoming thugs? What about FBI agents? This sounds like it's contagious. I'm worried, perfesser.

PS: Maybe Andy can recruit some reliable MS-13 guys to clean out these ICE thugs. ICE is really monkeying things up.

silverscreenselect

#97 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:28 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I'm kinda new at this. If ICE agents are thugs, were they thugs when Obama was President? Did they all become thugs after Jan 2017? Did they all become thugs at one time? Or was it agent by agent over a period of time? Is our domestic police force in danger of becoming thugs? What about FBI agents? This sounds like it's contagious. I'm worried, perfesser.

PS: Maybe Andy can recruit some reliable MS-13 guys to clean out these ICE thugs. ICE is really monkeying things up.
Flock:

To save some time, just take a Majik Marker and write "Useful Idiot" on your bathroom mirror. That way you'll be reminded of who you are every morning.

jarnon

#98 Post by jarnon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:41 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I'm kinda new at this. If ICE agents are thugs, were they thugs when Obama was President? Did they all become thugs after Jan 2017? Did they all become thugs at one time? Or was it agent by agent over a period of time? Is our domestic police force in danger of becoming thugs? What about FBI agents? This sounds like it's contagious. I'm worried, perfesser.

I know you're mocking SSS, but you raise some valid points. I'd call the Border Patrol agent who harassed two Minnesota ladies for speaking Spanish a "thug," but not the agents who give water to asylum seekers when they're smuggled into Texas before politely taking them to detention.

I'm not sure about the agents who were blasted online for arresting a father-to-be driving his wife to the hospital. Turns out he's wanted for murder in his home country. Now the arrest warrant could have been bogus, an example of the oppression that he's seeking asylum from. But the agents had to take it seriously.

State and local police have the same issues. A few Pennsylvania cops are notorious for interrogating anyone who looks like a foreigner.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

flockofseagulls104

#99 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:01 pm

Flock:

To save some time, just take a Majik Marker and write "Useful Idiot" on your bathroom mirror. That way you'll be reminded of who you are every morning.
Oh, so now you're insulting the intellectually challenged by using the epithet 'idiot'. How insensitive can you get? I'm a useful mentally handicapped special person. AND you forgot to tell me to add 'racist, trump supporter' to my mirror. What's wrong with you?

flockofseagulls104

#100 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:07 pm

jarnon wrote:

I know you're mocking SSS, but you raise some valid points. I'd call the Border Patrol agent who harassed two Minnesota ladies for speaking Spanish a "thug," but not the agents who give water to asylum seekers when they're smuggled into Texas before politely taking them to detention.

I'm not sure about the agents who were blasted online for arresting a father-to-be driving his wife to the hospital. Turns out he's wanted for murder in his home country. Now the arrest warrant could have been bogus, an example of the oppression that he's seeking asylum from. But the agents had to take it seriously.

State and local police have the same issues. A few Pennsylvania cops are notorious for interrogating anyone who looks like a foreigner.
I'm not mocking SSS, he does fine on his own. I was mocking Gov. Cuomo, Cynthia Nixon and all the leftholes who get outraged when trump says the intelligence agencies might have an agenda, but do not raise an eyebrow when a sitting governor of a large state calls all the law enforcement agents at ICE thugs because they do their job. Only because he doesn't like who the american people elected as president.

You might remember that the esteemed lunatic Chuck Schumer warned Mr trump not to mess with the intelligence agencies, because they have 'six ways from Sunday at getting back at you.' Could it be that trump believes the esteemed and above-average Senator Schumer?