I'd never heard that expression before (FL Gov.)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

I'd never heard that expression before (FL Gov.)

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:09 am

The Republican nominee for Governor of Florida warned that voters would "monkey this up" if they voted for his opponent. I don't think I've ever heard that expression before. (The expression I'm more familiar with is "muck this up.") Of course, his turn of phrase can't possibly have anything to do with the race of the Democratic nominee. That would mean he's trying to appeal to racists, and no credible Republican candidate would ever do that. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

Re: I'd never heard that expression before (FL Gov.)

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:26 am

Bob78164 wrote:The Republican nominee for Governor of Florida warned that voters would "monkey this up" if they voted for his opponent. I don't think I've ever heard that expression before. (The expression I'm more familiar with is "muck this up.") Of course, his turn of phrase can't possibly have anything to do with the race of the Democratic nominee. That would mean he's trying to appeal to racists, and no credible Republican candidate would ever do that. --Bob
OMG
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:29 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The Republican nominee for Governor of Florida warned that voters would "monkey this up" if they voted for his opponent. I don't think I've ever heard that expression before. (The expression I'm more familiar with is "muck this up.") Of course, his turn of phrase can't possibly have anything to do with the race of the Democratic nominee. That would mean he's trying to appeal to racists, and no credible Republican candidate would ever do that. --Bob
OMG
rec
Well, then

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:52 am

Not saying he didn't say that actual quote, but how about a source or link? An actual video would be nice. Otherwise its just us thinking you are making stuff up again.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:57 am

BackInTex wrote:
Not saying he didn't say that actual quote, but how about a source or link? An actual video would be nice. Otherwise its just us thinking you are making stuff up again.
It's all over the news. Just Google "monkey this up" and you can't miss it. He said it on the air on Fox News. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:59 am

BackInTex wrote:
The point is that the MSM is going crazy that DeSantis said the word 'monkey'. Just by saying that one word, he is now, and forever will be, labeled a racist by the dems and the MSM. That throws a monkey wrench into his career and his reputation... oops!
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:59 am

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
It's all over the news. Just Google "monkey this up" and you can't miss it. --Bob
EXACTLY!!!! It's called Fake News. And it is exactly why nobody except the people in the echo chamber trust the MSM.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:05 am

You've never heard "monkey with"? I don't think it's regional. I mean, come on.
Well, then

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:13 am

Gee, I just heard the recording. Of course I heard it on NPR, so I guess their recordings of Repub politicians making public utterances don't count with some of you.

mellytu74

#10 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:18 am

1) OK - as most of you know, I am pretty left-of-center.

2) This has been all over the place - DeSantis said it on Fox and other outlets have picked it up.

3) I think I have a pretty good idea what happened here.

DeSantis was going for something like "mess it up" and was, perhaps, drifting toward eff it up or something unacceptable.

So, he switched gears and thought of saying something like "throw a monkey wrench into," which is a pretty long-standing phrase in my neck of the woods.

Except it didn't come out that way.

I am the last person in the world who would defend a Donald Trump supporter who DID say something truly racist.

I think he just got tongue-tied. I do not think there was racist intent here -- although it certainly did not come out well.

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:19 am

[Dumb Consultant] Hey Ronny, if you can sneak the word 'monkey' into one of your speeches, you'll tell the millions of white supremacists in Florida that you're with 'em, and you'll get them to come out and vote for you, instead of writing in David Duke.
[DeSantis] Yeah, uh, that sounds like a good idea!

[Slightly more intelligent consultant] But Ronnie, if you do that when you google the word 'monkey' you'll get hundreds of articles that say you're a racist. Then the idiots that believe every word they see on CNN will start making signs to take to the protests that will be called by Move-On in your driveway. They will call it a dog-whistle. Google that phrase as it pertains to politics.

[DeSantis] Uh, what should I do?

DeSantis takes the advice of the Dumb Consultant and bob-tel and aSSShole get a call on their Bat-Phones. BJ is still busy with his move, or he would have been first.

flockofseagulls104

#12 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:41 am

mellytu74 wrote:1) OK - as most of you know, I am pretty left-of-center.

2) This has been all over the place - DeSantis said it on Fox and other outlets have picked it up.

DeSantis was going for something like "mess it up" and was, perhaps, drifting toward eff it up or something unacceptable.

So, he switched gears and thought of saying something like "throw a monkey wrench into," which is a pretty long-standing phrase in my neck of the woods.

I am the last person in the world who would defend a Donald Trump supporter who DID say something truly racist.

I think he just got tongue-tied. I do not think there was racist intent here -- although it certainly did not come out well.
So as a left-of-center person who seems to be able to reason effectively, what do you think of the media blitz on this subject?

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:07 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: So as a left-of-center person who seems to be able to reason effectively, what do you think of the media blitz on this subject?
Flock, if this were the only time something like this happened, I might agree with you. But it seems to happen a lot with right wing politicians and whenever it does, there is always an "innocent" explanation you can manufacture. That's how a dog whistle works. The people for whom it's intended understand it and the people against whom it's used understand it. And Ana Novarro, who's a Republican strategist understood it as well.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#14 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:27 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: So as a left-of-center person who seems to be able to reason effectively, what do you think of the media blitz on this subject?
Flock, if this were the only time something like this happened, I might agree with you. But it seems to happen a lot with right wing politicians and whenever it does, there is always an "innocent" explanation you can manufacture. That's how a dog whistle works. The people for whom it's intended understand it and the people against whom it's used understand it. And Ana Novarro, who's a Republican strategist understood it as well.
I understand how people in your echo chamber use the word 'racist'. You, personally, are an expert at it.

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:50 pm

That's because incidents like this ARE innocent. But folks like you look for anything that can be twisted into something evil because you can't compete on policy. Just like Bobbie Sue won't get off the "Trump asked Russian to hack the DNC". That was not innocent, but it was tongue-in-cheek. But he plays it like it was collusion.

I see where this happened this morning after I was at work. I don't watch the news at work so seeing Bob's post was the first I'd seen.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

bazodee

#16 Post by bazodee » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:14 pm

mellytu74 wrote:1) OK - as most of you know, I am pretty left-of-center.

Spot on, so I won't waste any other words.

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:18 pm

My wife, and her siblings (must be an inherited trait) are always misusing metaphors and screwing up (monkeying up) proverbial sayings.

The other night she was telling me about how some other teacher in a team meeting was bragging about how much she had accomplished on day one and how her new students were already singing her praise.

My wife said, you know me, I'm not one to squeak my own wheel.

I chuckled and said it's "Toot your own horn" or "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." She laughed at herself and said hers makes sense though, sort of.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:33 pm

BackInTex wrote:That's because incidents like this ARE innocent.
Apparently, Sandra Smith of Fox News disagrees with you and Flock.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-sandra ... -language/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:53 pm

This is war. A war for the direction the country is going to go in. All is fair.

Both sides use anything they can as ammunition.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#20 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:54 pm

I am not a fan of Trump or MOST of the Republican agenda but my first thought on reading this story was "boy, that's really stretching it". I have heard that expression many times but never, to my knowledge, with intent to disparage a race. It's always been there with "quit monkeying around" and such..meaning don't screw around and do something foolish, as you would expect a wacky group of chimps would do for instance. Despite my liberal leanings, I believe political correctness has gotten way too far out of hand. I have used the phrases "quit monkeying around", "don't monkey with it", and so on..so am I a racist? I assure you I am not thinking in terms of someone's race when I say those things. Thinking this was "coded" to reach the racist population seems a bit Oliver Stone-ish to me. I think it's pretty obvious when some idiot is using it in a racially derogative manner. Folks, from where I sit, if you lean to the left (or even are dead center), there is plenty of material available to make your points without pouncing on every single word as an "A-Ha!" moment.

I have never seen the type of animosity displayed on both sides of the political spectrum as I see these days. And sorry, but MY feelings are that Trump lit that fuse on the campaign trail with his incendiary rhetoric and continues to fan the flames with his impulsive tweets and agitating, antagonistic remarks on his enemies (basically anyone who won't kneel and "kiss the ring") and any media that doesn't praise the king. So the Dems have gone quite mad to the point of jumping on EVERYTHING in order to take him down. Some of it valid in my opinion, some of it not so much. What Dems REALLY need to do is take responsibility for choosing a ridiculously unsatisfactory candidate and find one who offers a fresh perspective and is NOT one of the usual suspects, or else they're going to be looking around again after the 2020 election like this :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Finally, BOTH SIDES need to take things down a few notches before, ridiculous as the thought sounds in terms of reality, we get Civil War II...or at least outbreaks of some modern-day Hatfields and McCoys..
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Um, so what?
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#22 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:59 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:I am not a fan of Trump or MOST of the Republican agenda but my first thought on reading this story was "boy, that's really stretching it". I have heard that expression many times but never, to my knowledge, with intent to disparage a race. It's always been there with "quit monkeying around" and such..meaning don't screw around and do something foolish, as you would expect a wacky group of chimps would do for instance. Despite my liberal leanings, I believe political correctness has gotten way too far out of hand. I have used the phrases "quit monkeying around", "don't monkey with it", and so on..so am I a racist? I assure you I am not thinking in terms of someone's race when I say those things. Thinking this was "coded" to reach the racist population seems a bit Oliver Stone-ish to me. I think it's pretty obvious when some idiot is using it in a racially derogative manner. Folks, from where I sit, if you lean to the left (or even are dead center), there is plenty of material available to make your points without pouncing on every single word as an "A-Ha!" moment.

I have never seen the type of animosity displayed on both sides of the political spectrum as I see these days. And sorry, but MY feelings are that Trump lit that fuse on the campaign trail with his incendiary rhetoric and continues to fan the flames with his impulsive tweets and agitating, antagonistic remarks on his enemies (basically anyone who won't kneel and "kiss the ring") and any media that doesn't praise the king. So the Dems have gone quite mad to the point of jumping on EVERYTHING in order to take him down. Some of it valid in my opinion, some of it not so much. What Dems REALLY need to do is take responsibility for choosing a ridiculously unsatisfactory candidate and find one who offers a fresh perspective and is NOT one of the usual suspects, or else they're going to be looking around again after the 2020 election like this :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Finally, BOTH SIDES need to take things down a few notches before, ridiculous as the thought sounds in terms of reality, we get Civil War II...or at least outbreaks of some modern-day Hatfields and McCoys..
Oh don't go getting reasonable now.
Rec
And I mean all of what you said.
Well, then

BackInTex

#23 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:02 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:I am not a fan of Trump or MOST of the Republican agenda but my first thought on reading this story was "boy, that's really stretching it". I have heard that expression many times but never, to my knowledge, with intent to disparage a race. It's always been there with "quit monkeying around" and such..meaning don't screw around and do something foolish, as you would expect a wacky group of chimps would do for instance. Despite my liberal leanings, I believe political correctness has gotten way too far out of hand. I have used the phrases "quit monkeying around", "don't monkey with it", and so on..so am I a racist? I assure you I am not thinking in terms of someone's race when I say those things. Thinking this was "coded" to reach the racist population seems a bit Oliver Stone-ish to me. I think it's pretty obvious when some idiot is using it in a racially derogative manner. Folks, from where I sit, if you lean to the left (or even are dead center), there is plenty of material available to make your points without pouncing on every single word as an "A-Ha!" moment.

Rec...except the part about Trump starting it. I do however agree he does fan the flames and if he were more mature he could work to lessen the animosity between sides.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#24 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Damn, 2 reasoning liberals in one day. You two need to be more vocal.

flockofseagulls104

#25 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Darn, I usually do everything Sandy tells me to do.
Um, who the hell is she? Is she like hannity?