The Boy Is Jewish?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Appa23

The Boy Is Jewish?

#1 Post by Appa23 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:06 pm

(at least for the next 6-8 weeks)

[With all of the other political nonsense threads, I thought that I would bring a bit of normality, if I can.]

As a start to his senior year, The Boy has been cast as Sammy Goldenbaum in "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs" by William Inge. It was the role that he wanted, as he is the subject of discrimination and attempts suicide. (Lots to work with there.)

Meanwhile, as fate would have it, the high school musical ("Bring It On") was scheduled as the same weekend as both the American Midwest Ballet's and Lincoln Midwest Ballet's productions of The Nutcracker. He already had decided not to do AMB's production, so that he could perform a larger role in the Lincoln show. It also was going to be perhaps his last chance to dance with a family friend (and daughter of his first ballet teacher) who was selected to train with Ballet West next year (skipping her senior year). He was torn, as he also feels like he missed out on high school things his first two years. In the end, he was asked to be the choreographer for the high school musical, and he wanted to take on that challenge. (Plus, he figures that it will look good on a college application.) Now, he will be watching video of the Broadway production, as well as a high school production, learning and tweaking the audition dance so that he can teach it, and figuring out what dances will work for his high school.

They were learning choreo for Show Choir this week, so he had to move between play practice and it, so he had to keep catching up. It is funny that last year's set featured heavy tap dancing in one song, because they had an excellent guy tapper. This year, the choreography is heavy on lyrical & contemporary dancing, although it is the "competition style" with overly broad emoting.

I know that so many of you have had children go through the senior year and getting them ready for the real world, but the shit is getting real now. :shock:

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: The Boy Is Jewish?

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:42 pm

Appa23 wrote:(at least for the next 6-8 weeks)

[With all of the other political nonsense threads, I thought that I would bring a bit of normality, if I can.]

As a start to his senior year, The Boy has been cast as Sammy Goldenbaum in "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs" by William Inge. It was the role that he wanted, as he is the subject of discrimination and attempts suicide. (Lots to work with there.)

Meanwhile, as fate would have it, the high school musical ("Bring It On") was scheduled as the same weekend as both the American Midwest Ballet's and Lincoln Midwest Ballet's productions of The Nutcracker. He already had decided not to do AMB's production, so that he could perform a larger role in the Lincoln show. It also was going to be perhaps his last chance to dance with a family friend (and daughter of his first ballet teacher) who was selected to train with Ballet West next year (skipping her senior year). He was torn, as he also feels like he missed out on high school things his first two years. In the end, he was asked to be the choreographer for the high school musical, and he wanted to take on that challenge. (Plus, he figures that it will look good on a college application.) Now, he will be watching video of the Broadway production, as well as a high school production, learning and tweaking the audition dance so that he can teach it, and figuring out what dances will work for his high school.

They were learning choreo for Show Choir this week, so he had to move between play practice and it, so he had to keep catching up. It is funny that last year's set featured heavy tap dancing in one song, because they had an excellent guy tapper. This year, the choreography is heavy on lyrical & contemporary dancing, although it is the "competition style" with overly broad emoting.

I know that so many of you have had children go through the senior year and getting them ready for the real world, but the shit is getting real now. :shock:
It gets even realer as they leave and launch themselves into college. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:26 pm

It would be even nicer if he could get a job in the real world doing these things he loves..

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:49 pm

Let's focus on what's important:
HTH is he a senior???
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:40 pm

tlynn78 wrote:Let's focus on what's important:
HTH is he a senior???
What she said!

TheCalvinator24

#6 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:40 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:Let's focus on what's important:
HTH is he a senior???
What she said!
Yep.

I remember posts about him as a small child.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore