Abortion-inducing drugs

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Abortion-inducing drugs

#26 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:11 pm

BackInTex wrote:I could be wrong, but I believe the Hobby Lobby issue was around Plan B. I don't believe they were standing their ground on regular contraceptive pills. They are not Catholic, so they are not against contraception. They did not want to provide what they deemed to be abortions.
Not just Plan B. Also IUDs. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#27 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:16 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I can't think why a carrier wouldn't pay for Depo if my doctor said it is right for me.

I thought the argument about Hobby Lobby was about preventing conception, not about hormones in general.
Insurance companies turn down doctor-recommended treatments all the time. A lot less often now that the Affordable Care Act has scotched the pre-existing condition excuse, but it still happens. The fundamental issue is whether the recommended treatment is covered.

As BiT correctly points out, Hobby Lobby's specific issue was with methods that prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg. But I have no confidence at all that the Court won't extend its ruling to contraception in general. I believe that Catholic institutions already are exempt from providing it (the insurance companies provide the services anyway because it's cheaper than dealing with the unwanted pregnancies), and are objecting that the paperwork they need to file to claim the exemption somehow made them complicit in doing things they don't like. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#28 Post by earendel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 am

FWIW, it turns out that Kavanaugh didn't exactly call birth control methods "abortion-inducing drugs". PolitiFact says that this stemmed from a tweet by Sen. Kamala Harris, but Kavanaugh's words were taken out of context. He was referring to a nonprofit group, Priests for Life, which does hold that position.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... -inducing/
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

flockofseagulls104

#29 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:16 am

earendel wrote:FWIW, it turns out that Kavanaugh didn't exactly call birth control methods "abortion-inducing drugs". PolitiFact says that this stemmed from a tweet by Sen. Kamala Harris, but Kavanaugh's words were taken out of context. He was referring to a nonprofit group, Priests for Life, which does hold that position.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... -inducing/
Oh, then never mind...
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton