A question for climatologists

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

A question for climatologists

#1 Post by Sir_Galahad » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:50 pm

Yesterday I was watching the storm go by above our house and noticed an interesting phenomenon. One layer of clouds was moving east and another layer of clouds above that one was moving west. How is this possible?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:55 pm

It's not uncommon for prevailing winds to go in different directions at different altitudes. For example, when a cold front moves in, the cold air is rolling toward you beneath a higher, warmer air mass.

Okay, I don't have my certification in climatology, but I do live in Oklahoma where, by God, we've got climate.

Sir_Galahad

#3 Post by Sir_Galahad » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:20 pm

OK. I didn't realize it was a common occurrence. I had never noticed it before and thought it was "way cool"
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:13 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:OK. I didn't realize it was a common occurrence. I had never noticed it before and thought it was "way cool"
Sometimes we don't notice simply because we're not looking up at the right time. On very cloudy days, the layer of clouds closest to the ground obscures our view of everything that's happening above it.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:32 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote:OK. I didn't realize it was a common occurrence. I had never noticed it before and thought it was "way cool"
Sometimes we don't notice simply because we're not looking up at the right time. On very cloudy days, the layer of clouds closest to the ground obscures our view of everything that's happening above it.
I have the same problem with my thoughts. Sometimes some go one way while others are flitting past them in the opposite direction.
Well, then

christie1111
11:11

Re: A question for climatologists

#6 Post by christie1111 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:24 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:Yesterday I was watching the storm go by above our house and noticed an interesting phenomenon. One layer of clouds was moving east and another layer of clouds above that one was moving west. How is this possible?
Remember alot of cloud names have stratus in them.

Layers.

And I have observed this. I think it is way cool.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:59 am

Beebs52 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
I have the same problem with my thoughts. Sometimes some go one way while others are flitting past them in the opposite direction.
This equals whacked.

You are also not suppose to tell people this.

Unless you are whacked, in which case, you just do.