New shingles vaccine

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

New shingles vaccine

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:50 pm

I heard about this only because my doctor mentioned it at my last appointment. There's a new shingles vaccine, recommended for people over 50. It's substantially more effective than the old one. It requires two shots, taken between two and six months apart. I got the first shot during my doctor's appointment, but then UCLA ran out when I went back for the second, so I got that one at my drugstore. Both (as preventative medicine) should be covered by insurance with no co-pay.

I'm mentioning this because I haven't seen any advertising about the new vaccine. It's worth taking the time. It's worth making the time. Shingles is horribly uncomfortable for weeks at a time. You really don't want it, but if you've ever had chickenpox, you're at risk. I don't know if that applies to people who had the chickenpox vaccine. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

Re: New shingles vaccine

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks! I'll check into it when I go in for my flu vaccine and my second pneumonia one.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

gsabc

Re: New shingles vaccine

#3 Post by gsabc » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I didn't have to think twice when my GP offered me this vaccine last year. One of my aunts had shingles which had lingering, and painful, effects for years. If there's something that can prevent it, I'm in.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.