WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:19 pm 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 4351
Shane Cunningham
Cookville, TN

drama teacher

Shane has his +1 remaining and is going for $30,000.

$30,000: With an area of 665,384 square miles, Alaska accounts for roughly what percentage of the total area of all 50 U.S. states?
A - 7.5%
B - 17.5%
C - 27.5%
D - 37.5%

Shane brings his +1, his wife Melinda, down. She has a better head for math than he does and maybe they can come up with the answer together. He tells her he's leaning toward 7.5% because the U.S. is a massive space. He asks for her thoughts. She thinks C and D can be ruled out but she doesn't have a strong feeling for A or B. She's OK with him walking away. That's his final answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: B (17.5%)

commercial break


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12650
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Shane Cunningham
Cookville, TN

drama teacher

Shane has his +1 remaining and is going for $30,000.


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000: With an area of 665,384 square miles, Alaska accounts for roughly what percentage of the total area of all 50 U.S. states?
A - 7.5%
B - 17.5%
C - 27.5%
D - 37.5%

Shane brings his +1, his wife Melinda, down. She has a better head for math than he does and maybe they can come up with the answer together. He tells her he's leaning toward 7.5% because the U.S. is a massive space. He asks for her thoughts. She thinks C and D can be ruled out but she doesn't have a strong feeling for A or B. She's OK with him walking away. That's his final answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: B (17.5%)

I don't know if I'd have lifelines left but I wouldn't need one for this question. I seem to recall that Alaska is approximately 1/5 the size of the US as a whole, so I'd go with 17.5% without hesitation.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:03 am 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9304
Location: Garden Grove, CA
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Shane Cunningham
Cookville, TN

drama teacher

Shane has his +1 remaining and is going for $30,000.


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000: With an area of 665,384 square miles, Alaska accounts for roughly what percentage of the total area of all 50 U.S. states?
A - 7.5%
B - 17.5%
C - 27.5%
D - 37.5%

Shane brings his +1, his wife Melinda, down. She has a better head for math than he does and maybe they can come up with the answer together. He tells her he's leaning toward 7.5% because the U.S. is a massive space. He asks for her thoughts. She thinks C and D can be ruled out but she doesn't have a strong feeling for A or B. She's OK with him walking away. That's his final answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: B (17.5%)
I don't know if I'd have lifelines left but I wouldn't need one for this question. I seem to recall that Alaska is approximately 1/5 the size of the US as a whole, so I'd go with 17.5% without hesitation.
She may have been led astray by the fact that most maps of the U.S. shrink it to make it fit.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Here are a few that maintain the proper scale:
Image

Image

Image

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maƫl Soucaze.