WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:27 am 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 4318
Janet Azevedo
Capistrano Beach, CA


$500: In the 1963 landmark Supreme Court case Gideon v. Wainwright, the court ruled that states must provide what to a defendant who can't afford to pay for their own?
A - an attorney
B - a personal trainer
C - an English butler
D - Super Bowl tickets
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: A (an attorney)


$1000: In the days of vaudeville, the patrons who sat in the cheapest seats and ate the cheapest snacks were often referred to as the what?
A - caviar crew
B - filet mignon squad
C - peanut gallery
D - foie gras brigade
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: C (peanut gallery)


$2000: Which of the following did NOT make Fortune.com's list of "The 50 Greatest Business Rivalries of All Time"?
A - Duracell vs. Energizer
B - Nike vs. Reebok
C - Hertz vs. Avis
D - RitzCarlton vs. EconoLodge
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: D (RitzCarlton vs. EconoLodge)


$3000: Saying the stories they told were "painful" and "one-sided", in 2017 Washington D.C.'s National Cathedral removed its stained-glass windows honoring whom?
A - Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin
B - John Lennon & Paul McCartney
C - Robert E. Lee & Stonewall Jackson
D - Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: C (Robert E. Lee & Stonewall Jackson)


$5000: Which specific shade of blue does Merriam-Webster define as "the blue color of the clear sky"?
A - azure
B - cobalt blue
C - navy blue
D - sapphire
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: A (azure)


$7000: Baechu, meaning "Napa cabbage," is a common ingredient in what food, whose varieties include a cubed radish version called Kkakdugi?
A - poke
B - kimchi
C - baba ghanoush
D - wonton soup

Janet rules out A and D.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: B (kimchi)

commercial break

In her retirement Janet and her husband opened their home to foster dogs; they've found homes for 60 dogs so far.

$10,000: According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Rocky Balboa's pet what were played by the same animals in both 1976's "Rocky" and 2006's "Rocky Balboa"?
A - rabbits
B - turtles
C - goldfish
D - parakeets

"Uh oh," Janet says. She's seen both movies but doesn't recall any pets. She thinks she can eliminate C. She asks the audience for help.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Ask the Audience results:
A - 1%
B - 78%
C - 7%
D - 14%

She goes with the audience's answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: B (turtles)


$20,000: Which of these Native Americans is actually fictional, created by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow for his epic poem "Song of Hiawatha"?
A - Tecumseh
B - Cochise
C - Minnehaha
D - Squanto

Janet read the poem a long time ago but still wouldn't know which one was fictional. She's pretty sure that A and B are real and that Minnehaha was a lake. She uses her 50:50.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
"50:50 results": C & D

"Of course," she sighs. She isn't sure her +1 can help her. She apologizes to her husband in advance.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: C (Minnehaha)

commercial break

MILLIONAIRE "QUESTION OF THE DAY": The Mozambique Channel is an arm of what ocean?
A - Atlantic Ocean
B - Arctic Ocean
C - Indian Ocean
D - Pacific Ocean
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: C (Indian Ocean)

commercial break

$30,000: According to the World Almanac, with over 1,200 people per square mile, New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the U.S. Which state is second?
A - Massachusetts
B - Maryland
C - Rhode Island
D - Connecticut

Janet knew the statistic, but didn't pay attention to the 2nd place state. She thinks that Rhode Island is small and it stands to reason it might be densely populated. She calls her +1, her husband. He says she called him for the wrong one. He thinks it might be A or B because they have larger populations. He says it's her decision. She says they have to walk away.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: C (Rhode Island)


Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 2:47 pm
Posts: 17
Janet was on my tape date. Very nice woman.

If it's me answering the last question, I probably take a shot at RI, knowing it's the smallest state, but I'd be throwing up inside. I still would have had my +1 for this too, so I probably burn it here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12605
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Janet Azevedo
Capistrano Beach, CA


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$10,000: According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Rocky Balboa's pet what were played by the same animals in both 1976's "Rocky" and 2006's "Rocky Balboa"?
A - rabbits
B - turtles
C - goldfish
D - parakeets

"Uh oh," Janet says. She's seen both movies but doesn't recall any pets. She thinks she can eliminate C. She asks the audience for help.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Ask the Audience results:
A - 1%
B - 78%
C - 7%
D - 14%

She goes with the audience's answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: B (turtles)

Surely she must have realized that only turtles were likely to have lifespans of 40+ years.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$20,000: Which of these Native Americans is actually fictional, created by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow for his epic poem "Song of Hiawatha"?
A - Tecumseh
B - Cochise
C - Minnehaha
D - Squanto

Janet read the poem a long time ago but still wouldn't know which one was fictional. She's pretty sure that [/spoiler]A and B are real and that Minnehaha was a lake[/spoiler]. She uses her 50:50.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
"50:50 results": C & D

"Of course," she sighs. She isn't sure her +1 can help her. She apologizes to her husband in advance.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: C (Minnehaha)

Didn't she know the story of the first Thanksgiving?

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000: According to the World Almanac, with over 1,200 people per square mile, New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the U.S. Which state is second?
A - Massachusetts
B - Maryland
C - Rhode Island
D - Connecticut

Janet knew the statistic, but didn't pay attention to the 2nd place state. She thinks that Rhode Island is small and it stands to reason it might be densely populated. She calls her +1, her husband. He says she called him for the wrong one. He thinks it might be A or B because they have larger populations. He says it's her decision. She says they have to walk away.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: C (Rhode Island)

I'd have used my 50:50 just to see what remained.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:19 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
I got there on the last question by reasoning that it's awfully small, geographically, to have two congressional districts. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maƫl Soucaze.