Pa. gubernatorial debate

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Pa. gubernatorial debate

#1 Post by jarnon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:37 pm

The candidates for Pennsylvania governor are debating tonight in Hershey. Gov. Wolf is running for re-election. His challenger, Scott Wagner, a state senator and owner of a trash-hauling company, has modeled his campaign after Trump's presidential run.

The most interesting thing about the debate is its moderator: Alex Trebek. I don't know whether the candidates will speak only in questions.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

Re: Pa. gubernatorial debate

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:32 pm

jarnon wrote: His challenger, Scott Wagner, owner of a trash-hauling company, has modeled his campaign after Trump's presidential run.
Replying to this line would be far too easy.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:30 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
jarnon wrote: His challenger, Scott Wagner, owner of a trash-hauling company, has modeled his campaign after Trump's presidential run.
Replying to this line would be far too easy.
Not quite as easy as just saying how easy it would be.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 am

jarnon wrote:The candidates for Pennsylvania governor are debating tonight in Hershey. Gov. Wolf is running for re-election. His challenger, Scott Wagner, a state senator and owner of a trash-hauling company, has modeled his campaign after Trump's presidential run.

The most interesting thing about the debate is its moderator: Alex Trebek. I don't know whether the candidates will speak only in questions.
Looks like Alex Trebek came off much worse than either of the candidates:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 508711002/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

#5 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:20 am

We had a cousins' conversation on this the other day....

We all agreed, this was pretty horrible.

As PA voters, we felt shortchanged and pissed off. Even if we are pretty locked into our preference (and we pretty much all are), we wanted to hear from the candidates, not Trebek.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:34 am

mellytu74 wrote:We had a cousins' conversation on this the other day....

As PA voters, we felt shortchanged and pissed off. Even if we are pretty locked into our preference (and we pretty much all are), we wanted to hear from the candidates, not Trebek.
Did he just gon about himself Don't wanna watch but curious.
Well, then

Pastor Fireball

#7 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:50 am

jarnon wrote:The candidates for Pennsylvania governor are debating tonight in Hershey. Gov. Wolf is running for re-election. His challenger, Scott Wagner, a state senator and owner of a trash-hauling company, has modeled his campaign after Trump's presidential run.

Brings new meaning to the phrase "political jeopardy".
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#8 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:55 pm

I read a couple headlines that said he got booed and couldn't believe it. Now I believe it.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

mellytu74

#9 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Beebs52 wrote:

Went on tangents. Talked about the Catholic Church (and how HE was never molested by a priest).

It was beyond bizarre, beebs.

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:47 pm

Philadelphia Inquirer wrote:
Alex Trebek, the Jeopardy! host roundly criticized for his Monday night performance as moderator of the lone Pennsylvania gubernatorial debate this fall, apologized Wednesday, saying he had "failed to recognize the seriousness of the event for the voters."

In a three-paragraph statement, Trebek said he was "naive" and "misunderstood" his role.

"I thought that as moderator, I was to provide a certain light-hearted approach while still being able to challenge the candidates on their record or positions," he wrote. "I didn't realize I was to ask a simple question and then let the gentlemen go at each other."

While debate moderators typically ask questions and let the candidates talk, Trebek spoke at length — at times sharing his own policy opinions — during the 45-minute debate in Hershey between Gov. Wolf, a Democrat, and Republican Scott Wagner.

Frustration over Trebek's performance was compounded by the fact that Wolf, the front-runner, has refused to participate in more debates. Monday's debate was hosted by the state Chamber of Business and Industry and broadcast by Pennsylvania Cable Network.

Before the debate, Trebek, a 78-year-old Canadian American who has been the face of the game show for a quarter-century, ruminated in a fireside chat about his ties to the state. He said he was a fan of the 1960s Eagles championship team, and credited a Pennsylvania businessman — the president of Pep Boys — with introducing him to the woman who later became his wife.

In his mea culpa Wednesday, Trebek wrote: "I offer my sincere apologies to the people of Pennsylvania, a state I dearly love."
This thread went in a direction I didn't expect.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:25 pm

jarnon wrote:
Philadelphia Inquirer wrote:
Alex Trebek, the Jeopardy! host roundly criticized for his Monday night performance as moderator of the lone Pennsylvania gubernatorial debate this fall, apologized Wednesday, saying he had "failed to recognize the seriousness of the event for the voters."

In a three-paragraph statement, Trebek said he was "naive" and "misunderstood" his role.

"I thought that as moderator, I was to provide a certain light-hearted approach while still being able to challenge the candidates on their record or positions," he wrote. "I didn't realize I was to ask a simple question and then let the gentlemen go at each other."

While debate moderators typically ask questions and let the candidates talk, Trebek spoke at length — at times sharing his own policy opinions — during the 45-minute debate in Hershey between Gov. Wolf, a Democrat, and Republican Scott Wagner.

Frustration over Trebek's performance was compounded by the fact that Wolf, the front-runner, has refused to participate in more debates. Monday's debate was hosted by the state Chamber of Business and Industry and broadcast by Pennsylvania Cable Network.

Before the debate, Trebek, a 78-year-old Canadian American who has been the face of the game show for a quarter-century, ruminated in a fireside chat about his ties to the state. He said he was a fan of the 1960s Eagles championship team, and credited a Pennsylvania businessman — the president of Pep Boys — with introducing him to the woman who later became his wife.

In his mea culpa Wednesday, Trebek wrote: "I offer my sincere apologies to the people of Pennsylvania, a state I dearly love."
This thread went in a direction I didn't expect.
Why? What was surprising?
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:26 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

Went on tangents. Talked about the Catholic Church (and how HE was never molested by a priest).

It was beyond bizarre, beebs.
Yikes
Well, then