WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:07 pm 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 4351
Tom Colocci (new BB TomC)
Management consultant
London, England


$500
With only about 3% of the American job force doing it, “active commuting” is getting to work by what means?
A: Walking or riding a bike B: Stealing a car or bus
C: Tunneling through the Earth D: Teleporting

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Walking or riding a bike


$1,000
In the acclaimed baseball movie “Field of Dreams,” the lead character hears a mysterious voice whisper all but which of the following statements?
A: “If you build it, he will come.” B: “Go the distance.”
C: “Ease his pain.” D: “OMG. He’s obviously using steroids.”

Tom has not seen “Field of Dreams,” but he knows “If you build it, he will come.”

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: “OMG. He’s obviously using steroids.”


$2,000
Paul Simon might enjoy what Utah state park, that’s named after the brand of film National Geographic used to take color photos of it in 1948?
A: Boxer Springs B: Kodachrome Basin
C: Graceland Canyon D: Troubled Waters Recreational Area

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: Kodachrome Basin


$3,000
What creature whose looks wouldn’t garner a lot of right-swipes on Animal Tinder is, luckily, capable of asexual (partner-free) reproduction?
A: Fox B: Panther
C: Komodo dragon D: Golden retriever

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Komodo dragon


$5,000
Which of these is a book buy Mike Tyson, and NOT one by Neil deGrasse Tyson?
A: Undisputed Truth B: Death By Black Hole
C: The Pluto Files D: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Undisputed Truth


Commercial break

$7,000
The canton, hoist and fly are all important aspects to consider when designing a what?
A: Flag B: Shoe
C: Treehouse D: Book cover

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Flag


$10,000
Which of these presidential Cabinet positions is the only one of the four that has ever been held by a woman?
A: Secretary of Labor B: Secretary of Defense
C: Secretary of Veterans Affairs D: Secretary of the Treasury

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 26% B: 26% C: 4% D: 44%


[Reveal] Spoiler: +1
Tom believes the audience is mistaken. They could be confused by Janet Yellen. +1 Ron agrees, and says Elaine Chao is Secretary of Labor. Tom thinks she’s Secretary of Transportation. In any case, they don’t know of any female Secretary of Defense or Veterans Affairs.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Secretary of Labor


Commercial break

Tom was a chemistry major but has always wanted to work in film. He’ll use his winnings for film school (and be sure to watch “Field of Dreams”).

$20,000
Like the VIN on your car, an IMEI number is a globally unique 15-digit number assigned to all what (which can be helpful if yours is lost or stolen)?
A: Diamonds B: Credit cards
C: Mobile devices D: Bicycles

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Mobile devices


$30,000
Lady Jane Grey was Queen of England for the notoriously short period of how long?
A: Nine hours B: Nine days
C: Ninety-nine days D: Nine months

After the hard question about the U.S. Cabinet, this one is a godsend.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: Nine days


Commercial break

QotD
Which of these is a nonsense word that one of our writers made up, and NOT an actual synonym of the word “nonsense”?
A: Tommyrot B: Huffmuffle
C: Codswallop D: Flapdoodle

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: Huffmuffle


$50,000
Featured in the names of such dishes as teriyaki, yakitori and yakisoba, what does the Japanese word “yaki” mean in English?
A: Sauce B: Savory
C: Chicken D: Grilled

[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
Tom’s friend Tom from Scarsdale warned him not to explain his reasoning before the 50/50 is revealed.
50/50 leaves sauce and grilled.
Tom knows yakitori is grilled chicken, and soba is noodle. He goes for grilled.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Grilled


The horn
Tom will be back on Wednesday.


Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4294
Location: Merion, Pa.
My favorite episode of the season so far. Tom's a recent Princeton grad who taught high school in Singapore and works for a New York company.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:33 pm 
Offline
No Scritches!!!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 pm
Posts: 19837
Location: God's Country
Quote:
$2,000
Paul Simon might enjoy what Utah state park, that’s named after the brand of film National Geographic used to take color photos of it in 1948?
A: Boxer Springs B: Kodachrome Basin
C: Graceland Canyon D: Troubled Waters Recreational Area

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: Kodachrome Basin


Everybody would enjoy Kodachrome Basin. OK, JMHO.

Quote:
$10,000
Which of these presidential Cabinet positions is the only one of the four that has ever been held by a woman?
A: Secretary of Labor B: Secretary of Defense
C: Secretary of Veterans Affairs D: Secretary of the Treasury

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 26% B: 26% C: 4% D: 44%


[Reveal] Spoiler: +1
Tom believes the audience is mistaken. They could be confused by Janet Yellen. +1 Ron agrees, and says Elaine Chao is Secretary of Labor. Tom thinks she’s Secretary of Transportation. In any case, they don’t know of any female Secretary of Defense or Veterans Affairs.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Secretary of Labor


The first one! Francis Perkins.

Quote:
$30,000
Lady Jane Grey was Queen of England for the notoriously short period of how long?
A: Nine hours B: Nine days
C: Ninety-nine days D: Nine months

After the hard question about the U.S. Cabinet, this one is a godsend.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: Nine days


Ugh. I do not know this. I googled it, and her nickname "The nine day queen" popped right up. Ask a friend.

Quote:
$50,000
Featured in the names of such dishes as teriyaki, yakitori and yakisoba, what does the Japanese word “yaki” mean in English?
A: Sauce B: Savory
C: Chicken D: Grilled

[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
Tom’s friend Tom from Scarsdale warned him not to explain his reasoning before the 50/50 is revealed.
50/50 leaves sauce and grilled.
Tom knows yakitori is grilled chicken, and soba is noodle. He goes for grilled.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Grilled


ATA, although I'd feel a lot better about it if it were a New York audience. Let's say they know it.

Tom will be back on Wednesday.

Oh boy! I can watch Tom win a bunch of money and still make my lunch date!

_________________
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:57 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12650
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Tom Colocci
Management consultant
London, England


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$20,000
Like the VIN on your car, an IMEI number is a globally unique 15-digit number assigned to all what (which can be helpful if yours is lost or stolen)?
A: Diamonds B: Credit cards
C: Mobile devices D: Bicycles
[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Mobile devices

I know that diamonds are inscribed with a set of numbers [NOTE: I originally thought all were, but it turns out that only certain ones are], so it's either that or mobile devices. Since I still have my 50:50 I'll use it and hope A and C aren't the remaining answers.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50,000
Featured in the names of such dishes as teriyaki, yakitori and yakisoba, what does the Japanese word “yaki” mean in English?
A: Sauce B: Savory
C: Chicken D: Grilled
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
Tom’s friend Tom from Scarsdale warned him not to explain his reasoning before the 50/50 is revealed.
50/50 leaves sauce and grilled.
Tom knows yakitori is grilled chicken, and soba is noodle. He goes for grilled.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Grilled

Well reasoned.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:28 am 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9308
Location: Garden Grove, CA
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50,000
Featured in the names of such dishes as teriyaki, yakitori and yakisoba, what does the Japanese word “yaki” mean in English?
A: Sauce B: Savory
C: Chicken D: Grilled
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
Tom’s friend Tom from Scarsdale warned him not to explain his reasoning before the 50/50 is revealed.
50/50 leaves sauce and grilled.
Tom knows yakitori is grilled chicken, and soba is noodle. He goes for grilled.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Grilled
Well reasoned.
This was a pretty nasty question. Though "yaki" does mean cooked over direct heat, teriyaki is a sauce and yakisoba is fried buckwheat noodle dish which may not have any grilled ingredients.

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 516
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Tom Colocci
Management consultant
London, England


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$20,000
Like the VIN on your car, an IMEI number is a globally unique 15-digit number assigned to all what (which can be helpful if yours is lost or stolen)?
A: Diamonds B: Credit cards
C: Mobile devices D: Bicycles
[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Mobile devices

I know that diamonds are inscribed with a set of numbers [NOTE: I originally thought all were, but it turns out that only certain ones are], so it's either that or mobile devices. Since I still have my 50:50 I'll use it and hope A and C aren't the remaining answers.

I once worked for Omnipoint, used to know what IMEI stood for

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50,000
Featured in the names of such dishes as teriyaki, yakitori and yakisoba, what does the Japanese word “yaki” mean in English?
A: Sauce B: Savory
C: Chicken D: Grilled
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
Tom’s friend Tom from Scarsdale warned him not to explain his reasoning before the 50/50 is revealed.
50/50 leaves sauce and grilled.
Tom knows yakitori is grilled chicken, and soba is noodle. He goes for grilled.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Grilled

Well reasoned.


Teppanyaki is the style of cooking at a Japanese steak house such as Benihana, that left me with A&D, but D made more sense as not everything has sauce.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:12 am
Posts: 2
Hey guys, Tom here.
Glad you all enjoyed my show!

The editing is quite generous to me here; I took a long time with Kodachrome because I'd never heard of the song, and so Troubled Waters sounded vaguely plausible too.

And yeah, I agonized over the $50k question, trying to think which one matched best


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 22077
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Estonut wrote:
earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50,000
Featured in the names of such dishes as teriyaki, yakitori and yakisoba, what does the Japanese word “yaki” mean in English?
A: Sauce B: Savory
C: Chicken D: Grilled
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
Tom’s friend Tom from Scarsdale warned him not to explain his reasoning before the 50/50 is revealed.
50/50 leaves sauce and grilled.
Tom knows yakitori is grilled chicken, and soba is noodle. He goes for grilled.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Grilled
Well reasoned.
This was a pretty nasty question. Though "yaki" does mean cooked over direct heat, teriyaki is a sauce and yakisoba is fried buckwheat noodle dish which may not have any grilled ingredients.

Wrong! Teriyaki is not the sauce but the dish. Yakisoba is fried on a grill. The grills are a flat piece of steel, not like a barbeque grill.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Posts: 6438
Location: Montana
Quote:

Hey guys, Tom here.
Glad you all enjoyed my show!

The editing is quite generous to me here; I took a long time with Kodachrome because I'd never heard of the song, and so Troubled Waters sounded vaguely plausible too.

And yeah, I agonized over the $50k question, trying to think which one matched best



Excellent job - congratulations!

_________________
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. And clowns.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 7218
Tom:

Its a great song, as I'm sure you've found out by now. One of the few I know by heart.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:21 am 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17583
Location: By the phone
TomC wrote:
Hey guys, Tom here.
Glad you all enjoyed my show!

The editing is quite generous to me here; I took a long time with Kodachrome because I'd never heard of the song, and so Troubled Waters sounded vaguely plausible too.

And yeah, I agonized over the $50k question, trying to think which one matched best
Welcome aBored! --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 7218
2K: Never heard of Basin before but love the song.

I wish my anemic Alcatel tablet got me the green of summers or any other colors so well.

10K: Knew this because FDR's choice was 1st woman in any Cab post.

20K: too many #s for small diamonds to bear, my bike's never had one, my CC # is 16#s.

30K: Knew it was short time but would asked +1 for help between B & C.

50K: Know you can have beef teriyaki so rules out chicken. Knoiw soba is noodles. Between grilled, which know teriyaki is, & also savory, which teriyaki is. 50/50


Looking forward to today's show.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 am
Posts: 27738
Location: Elsewhere
jarnon wrote:
My favorite episode of the season so far. Tom's a recent Princeton grad who taught high school in Singapore and works for a New York company.


How did you know this? They didn't offer one word of explanation on the show.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:28 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17583
Location: By the phone
MarleysGh0st wrote:
jarnon wrote:
My favorite episode of the season so far. Tom's a recent Princeton grad who taught high school in Singapore and works for a New York company.


How did you know this? They didn't offer one word of explanation on the show.
I'm guessing the information came from an alumni communication. If memory serves, jarnon is a Princeton graduate. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:25 pm 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9308
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
earendel wrote:
Well reasoned.
This was a pretty nasty question. Though "yaki" does mean cooked over direct heat, teriyaki is a sauce and yakisoba is fried buckwheat noodle dish which may not have any grilled ingredients.
Wrong! Teriyaki is not the sauce but the dish. Yakisoba is fried on a grill. The grills are a flat piece of steel, not like a barbeque grill.
You're wrong, too. You really should look things up before "correcting" people.

Teriyaki is not a particular dish. It is both a cooking style and the sauce used in that style.

Yakisoba literally means "fried buckwheat," and, thus, must be fried, but not necessarily fried on a grill.

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:20 pm
Posts: 30
Bob78164 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
jarnon wrote:
My favorite episode of the season so far. Tom's a recent Princeton grad who taught high school in Singapore and works for a New York company.


How did you know this? They didn't offer one word of explanation on the show.
I'm guessing the information came from an alumni communication. If memory serves, jarnon is a Princeton graduate. --Bob


That's probably the reason. I was supposed to be his +1and I talked to him about game strategy etc. IHe told me that he was a recent Princeton grad and was working in NYC. His three citizenships/passports are Italian, UK and USA.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:39 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4294
Location: Merion, Pa.
MarleysGh0st wrote:
jarnon wrote:
My favorite episode of the season so far. Tom's a recent Princeton grad who taught high school in Singapore and works for a New York company.


How did you know this? They didn't offer one word of explanation on the show.
Shortly after the show, posts about Tom appeared on FB and Twitter. But I liked the contestant even before I knew he was a Princeton alum.

I put the supplemental info in a separate post, not the transcript. Except for his profession; I got that from an official @MillionaireTV tweet, so I included it in the transcript.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: earendel, jarnon and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.