Shooting in my little town

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
themanintheseersuckersuit

Shooting in my little town

#1 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:47 pm

Now on national news. I know the family of the shooter. Rumor it started with service of divorce papers.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Re: Shooting in my little town

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:03 pm

The couple involved lived diagonally across the intersection from my first house 38 years ago. He is a Vietnam vet and disbarred lawyer. Wife is a divorce lawyer. They fostered a lot of children and adopted too.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:10 pm

I am sorry tmitsss
Well, then

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:24 pm

This is awful, SuitDude. Thinking of you in the difficult days ahead. . .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Now the rumor is that one of the you men had a warrent for rape
Suitguy is not bitter.

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:51 pm

Sorry to hear this, SuitGuy.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:53 pm

It's worse:
CNN wrote:One law enforcement officer was killed and four others were injured in a shooting Wednesday in Florence, South Carolina, according to CNN affiliate WMBF.

The active shooter incident, which took place in a residential area, ended when the suspect surrendered to deputies after talking with a negotiator, Florence County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Glenn Kirby told CNN affiliate WBTW. He was taken to a hospital, Kirby said.

A 20-year-old male in the home was also injured, according to Kirby.

Three of the officers who were shot are Florence County Sheriff's deputies and two are members of the Florence police force, Kirby said, according to CNN affiliates.

The officer who died is a Florence officer, WMBF said.

Agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have responded to the crime scene in Vintage Place off Hoffmeyer Road, the agency said.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

#8 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 am

They have arrested Fred Hopkins, age 74 for the shooting. That's my former neighbor. Fred is a Vietnam vet and has been a building contractor since being disbarred in 1984. I knew Fred was a gun owner as he once told a story about "protecting' my neighborhood with his .45 pistol. I was not reassured. I tried one of my earliest jury trials against him. This all so sad.
Suitguy is not bitter.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:13 am

Wow. Sad all around.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

#10 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:41 pm

I don't know how much coverage this is getting. Here is a link to a story about the warrant that triggered the police visit to the Hopkins home.
you might be happier not reading this.
https://www.scnow.com/news/local/articl ... 048b7.html
Suitguy is not bitter.

#11 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:33 pm

A second officer has died. I am sick at heart.
Suitguy is not bitter.

#12 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Suitguy is not bitter.

Ritterskoop

#13 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:20 pm

That was excellent reporting. I wish you did not have to go through this.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 am

Sorry to hear about this.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 am

Ritterskoop wrote:That was excellent reporting. I wish you did not have to go through this.
Yup. This was a fascinating account of a horrible day.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:43 am

Now that's journalism. So tragic.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

christie1111
11:11

#17 Post by christie1111 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Tragic.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"