WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:09 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
silvercamaro wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Here's the thing. You think the things Donny is accomplishing are good, and that's why you don't like the resistance. We're fighting for our lives and our family's lives against a Republican Party that wants nothing but more and more power. And the Republicans are implementing their agenda by smashing more and more of the unwritten rules that used to hold us together. Playing nice is no longer an option. It's time to play to win, and that's what I expect from my elected representatives.

I draw the line at violence. But I have no issue with confrontation, as long as it's effective. Maybe that's because I'm old enough to remember being scared that I'd get drafted to fight in the Vietnam War. --Bob


Bob, how old were you when you developed this fear of being drafted -- 6, 7, 8? Even younger? Perhaps you were in kindergarten when -- because of your high IQ and superior nursery school education -- you began to worry about the draft? If not, this may be the dumb-assiest argument "against violence but in favor of confrontation" e-v-e-r. You seem to be working way too hard to build some kind of mythology for yourself about what a brave and brilliant lad you were (and by extension, you are.) I just don't see that a lot of people are buying that.

Several times in the past, you have shared your outrage at what you perceived as being the subject of mockery. My unwanted advice: if you don't want to be mocked, stop being so damn mockable.
I was there. I know what I felt. Believe me or don't -- that's your choice.

You probably also believe that today's 11-year-old DREAMers won't remember 40 or 50 years from now their fears stemming from today's political climate. I'm guessing you're wrong about that as well. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bob78164 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Here's the thing. You think the things Donny is accomplishing are good, and that's why you don't like the resistance. We're fighting for our lives and our family's lives against a Republican Party that wants nothing but more and more power. And the Republicans are implementing their agenda by smashing more and more of the unwritten rules that used to hold us together. Playing nice is no longer an option. It's time to play to win, and that's what I expect from my elected representatives.

I draw the line at violence. But I have no issue with confrontation, as long as it's effective. Maybe that's because I'm old enough to remember being scared that I'd get drafted to fight in the Vietnam War. --Bob


Bob, how old were you when you developed this fear of being drafted -- 6, 7, 8? Even younger? Perhaps you were in kindergarten when -- because of your high IQ and superior nursery school education -- you began to worry about the draft? If not, this may be the dumb-assiest argument "against violence but in favor of confrontation" e-v-e-r. You seem to be working way too hard to build some kind of mythology for yourself about what a brave and brilliant lad you were (and by extension, you are.) I just don't see that a lot of people are buying that.

Several times in the past, you have shared your outrage at what you perceived as being the subject of mockery. My unwanted advice: if you don't want to be mocked, stop being so damn mockable.
I was there. I know what I felt. Believe me or don't -- that's your choice. --Bob


I was there, too, bob-tel. I was 18 in 1974. I was a liberal back then, and luckily I never had to face being drafted. The draft stopped my year. As a good liberal, I considered it cool to think about burning my draft card, but I didn't have to. I remember thinking a couple of times what I would do if I were drafted: go to Canada? Submit and maybe be sent there. I don't know what I would have done. But, you know, being a whole lot closer to it than you, it wasn't the big thing you are making it out to be. And you're obsessing about it when you weren't even close to being of age? You seem to be quite the hysterical type. I repeat: you should just chill out and live your life. You have too many boogiemen.
BTW, 2 of my cousins were drafted and served. My cousin Robert retired a Lt. Colonel in the Marines and is active in Veterans Issues in Florida. I am very proud of him.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:34 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:

Bob, how old were you when you developed this fear of being drafted -- 6, 7, 8? Even younger? Perhaps you were in kindergarten when -- because of your high IQ and superior nursery school education -- you began to worry about the draft? If not, this may be the dumb-assiest argument "against violence but in favor of confrontation" e-v-e-r. You seem to be working way too hard to build some kind of mythology for yourself about what a brave and brilliant lad you were (and by extension, you are.) I just don't see that a lot of people are buying that.

Several times in the past, you have shared your outrage at what you perceived as being the subject of mockery. My unwanted advice: if you don't want to be mocked, stop being so damn mockable.
I was there. I know what I felt. Believe me or don't -- that's your choice. --Bob


I was there, too, bob-tel. I was 18 in 1974. I was a liberal back then, and luckily I never had to face being drafted. The draft stopped my year. As a good liberal, I considered it cool to think about burning my draft card, but I didn't have to. I remember thinking a couple of times what I would do if I were drafted: go to Canada? Submit and maybe be sent there. I don't know what I would have done. But, you know, being a whole lot closer to it than you, it wasn't the big thing you are making it out to be. And you're obsessing about it when you weren't even close to being of age? You seem to be quite the hysterical type. I repeat: you should just chill out and live your life. You have too many boogiemen.
BTW, 2 of my cousins were drafted and served. My cousin Robert retired a Lt. Colonel in the Marines and is active in Veterans Issues in Florida. I am very proud of him.
How did we get from I was "scared that I'd get drafted" to "I'm hysterical"? Being scared of being drafted was an entirely reasonable reaction. If Esto or shinycar want to doubt that's what I actually felt, that's really not my problem. At least you seem to be accepting me at my word.

My point is that I learned from the '60s and '70s that public protest can change our country's course about an issue that I felt passionately about, and that sometimes being polite about it just won't do. This appears to me to be one of those times. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:37 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
And to answer shinycar's question, it was probably right around when my uncle-to-be got drafted. I'd probably have been 9 or 10, but I might have been younger -- I can't remember whether we'd already moved from Alabama to Pennsylvania. He served his entire tour in the States and as far as I know, never came under fire, but it drove home to me that it could happen to me too. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: Olympia, Washington
Quote:
unwritten rules that used to hold us together.


Tell us, oh bob-tel, what are these unwritten rules that the republicans are smashing? Tell us how they are trying to divide us.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:01 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Quote:
unwritten rules that used to hold us together.


Tell us, oh bob-tel, what are these unwritten rules that the republicans are smashing? Tell us how they are trying to divide us.
Using the filibuster to block virtually everything President Obama tried to accomplish, even when it had majority support. The filibuster used to be saved for special occasions so that a majority could actually accomplish things. Hell, the Democrats didn't even filibuster Clarence Thomas, and they had the votes to do so.

Refusing to even consider Judge Garland's nomination.

Donny's constant assaults on the truth and the willingness of virtually the entire Republican Party to give him a pass on his lies.

Just off the top of my head. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Quote:
unwritten rules that used to hold us together.


Tell us, oh bob-tel, what are these unwritten rules that the republicans are smashing? Tell us how they are trying to divide us.
Using the filibuster to block virtually everything President Obama tried to accomplish, even when it had majority support. The filibuster used to be saved for special occasions so that a majority could actually accomplish things. Hell, the Democrats didn't even filibuster Clarence Thomas, and they had the votes to do so.

Refusing to even consider Judge Garland's nomination.

Donny's constant assaults on the truth and the willingness of virtually the entire Republican Party to give him a pass on his lies.

Just off the top of my head. --Bob


https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2014/05/09/four-pinocchios-for-obamas-claim-that-republicans-have-filibustered-about-500-pieces-of-legislation/?utm_term=.ae9776d33eca

We have discussed Judge Garland several times on Feb 2nd. Drop it already.

Nobody in the Dem party lies? The biggest one I remember is 'I never had sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinski'. I think the entire dem party has given him a lifelong pass on that one. 'You can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan' is another one.

I will not dispute that trump has a problem with facts, but I believe he's not alone in that. But where he is by himself is how the media is totally in the tank to get him. I give you the Sweden - Tucker Carlson incident as one off the top of my head, but there are hundreds of examples of where the media is word for word literal, where trump speaks in metaphor and inexactly.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline
FNGD Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:24 pm
Posts: 6020
Location: State of Confusion
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:

Bob, how old were you when you developed this fear of being drafted -- 6, 7, 8? Even younger? Perhaps you were in kindergarten when -- because of your high IQ and superior nursery school education -- you began to worry about the draft? If not, this may be the dumb-assiest argument "against violence but in favor of confrontation" e-v-e-r. You seem to be working way too hard to build some kind of mythology for yourself about what a brave and brilliant lad you were (and by extension, you are.) I just don't see that a lot of people are buying that.

Several times in the past, you have shared your outrage at what you perceived as being the subject of mockery. My unwanted advice: if you don't want to be mocked, stop being so damn mockable.
I was there. I know what I felt. Believe me or don't -- that's your choice. --Bob


I was there, too, bob-tel. I was 18 in 1974. I was a liberal back then, and luckily I never had to face being drafted. The draft stopped my year. As a good liberal, I considered it cool to think about burning my draft card, but I didn't have to. I remember thinking a couple of times what I would do if I were drafted: go to Canada? Submit and maybe be sent there. I don't know what I would have done. But, you know, being a whole lot closer to it than you, it wasn't the big thing you are making it out to be. And you're obsessing about it when you weren't even close to being of age? You seem to be quite the hysterical type. I repeat: you should just chill out and live your life. You have too many boogiemen.
BTW, 2 of my cousins were drafted and served. My cousin Robert retired a Lt. Colonel in the Marines and is active in Veterans Issues in Florida. I am very proud of him.



I was born in '57 so the draft was a thing that was not an immediate reality for me to deal with but there was just enough awareness of what was going on that I remember thinking about whether or not a war, be it that one or another one, would be in progress when I hit legal age, and yes, the thought of being drafted did scare me some. A vague sort of feeling of dread rather than outright fear, but the thought did raise some concern as I recall. Then of course it was back to concerns more crucial to a 11 or 12 year-old like how was Spidey going to get out of Doctor Octopus' trap, why couldn't the Yankees win for a change (they were terrible in the late 60's), and why did I get a funny feeling in my stomach whenever that girl Diane was around. But I have to say that there were probably a fair amount of boys that got a little nervous when the thought of being drafted came around, even at that age. Of course I knew that war was not all G.I. Joe and John Wayne movie glorious even at that age, unlike some of my contemporaries, so maybe that's why I gave it a little more thought.

_________________
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:22 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
We have discussed Judge Garland several times on Feb 2nd. Drop it already.
No. I'll drop it when they make it right, or when we rip power away from them so we can make it right ourselves. I'll drop it when the people responsible for stealing my vote for the person I wanted appointing Justices for four years have paid a political price for stealing from me. Until then, go pound sand. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Posts: 9922
Location: In Texas of course!
Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
We have discussed Judge Garland several times on Feb 2nd. Drop it already.
No. I'll drop it when they make it right, or when we rip power away from them so we can make it right ourselves. I'll drop it when the people responsible for stealing my vote for the person I wanted appointing Justices for four years have paid a political price for stealing from me. Until then, go pound sand. --Bob


Why the anger? How was something stolen from you when everything was done by the book, by the rules in place?

I'm sure Judge Garland would rather not have been brought up for review than have some man, 5 years younger than him, attack him as the pedophile that had molested him back in 1980 when Garland was 17 and the victim was 12, especially since the victim never told a single sole, but who cares, Garland's life and reputation would have been tarnished for ever. It it a good thing that the party in power had a moral backbone. But should the Democrats EVER get power pack in the senate, their playbook is now out there as something they want done, and it unfortunately will probably never be done back to them as the Republican party has a higher standard of ethics.

_________________
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:08 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
We have discussed Judge Garland several times on Feb 2nd. Drop it already.
No. I'll drop it when they make it right, or when we rip power away from them so we can make it right ourselves. I'll drop it when the people responsible for stealing my vote for the person I wanted appointing Justices for four years have paid a political price for stealing from me. Until then, go pound sand. --Bob


Why the anger? How was something stolen from you when everything was done by the book, by the rules in place?

I'm sure Judge Garland would rather not have been brought up for review than have some man, 5 years younger than him, attack him as the pedophile that had molested him back in 1980 when Garland was 17 and the victim was 12, especially since the victim never told a single sole, but who cares, Garland's life and reputation would have been tarnished for ever. It it a good thing that the party in power had a moral backbone. But should the Democrats EVER get power pack in the senate, their playbook is now out there as something they want done, and it unfortunately will probably never be done back to them as the Republican party has a higher standard of ethics.
You're still arguing that Dr. Blasey Ford is a political pawn who made this up to keep Kavanaugh off the Court, even though she's been saying this for years. Until and unless a full and fair investigation is held (which I expect the Democrats to do if they take either chamber of Congress), I'll continue to believe that her testimony was a lot more credible than his.

If credible allegations are made against future nominees, I'll expect them to be fully and fairly investigated as well. If you're saying that Republicans are ready and willing to gin up false allegations, such as by claiming for years against all evidence and reason that the President was actually born in Kenya, I'll admit that their behavior over the last decade or so has convinced me you're probably right. I guess that's a chance future Democratic nominees will just have to take. And if false charges are made under oath, I'll expect the inventors of those calumnies to be pursued with the full force of the law.

Countries don't work well when the only rules are pure power politics, but that's exactly what's going on right now. I hope that changes, but until it does, I'm going to insist that the Democratic Party to respond in kind. And once we have the majority and the White House, there's a lot they can do if they have the nerve. I will be encouraging my elected representatives to exhibit that nerve. And if Republicans feel bulldozed, they'll have only themselves to blame. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
No. I'll drop it when they make it right, or when we rip power away from them so we can make it right ourselves. I'll drop it when the people responsible for stealing my vote for the person I wanted appointing Justices for four years have paid a political price for stealing from me. Until then, go pound sand. --Bob


Why the anger? How was something stolen from you when everything was done by the book, by the rules in place?

I'm sure Judge Garland would rather not have been brought up for review than have some man, 5 years younger than him, attack him as the pedophile that had molested him back in 1980 when Garland was 17 and the victim was 12, especially since the victim never told a single sole, but who cares, Garland's life and reputation would have been tarnished for ever. It it a good thing that the party in power had a moral backbone. But should the Democrats EVER get power pack in the senate, their playbook is now out there as something they want done, and it unfortunately will probably never be done back to them as the Republican party has a higher standard of ethics.
You're still arguing that Dr. Blasey Ford is a political pawn who made this up to keep Kavanaugh off the Court, even though she's been saying this for years. Until and unless a full and fair investigation is held (which I expect the Democrats to do if they take either chamber of Congress), I'll continue to believe that her testimony was a lot more credible than his.

If credible allegations are made against future nominees, I'll expect them to be fully and fairly investigated as well. If you're saying that Republicans are ready and willing to gin up false allegations, such as by claiming for years against all evidence and reason that the President was actually born in Kenya, I'll admit that their behavior over the last decade or so has convinced me you're probably right. I guess that's a chance future Democratic nominees will just have to take. And if false charges are made under oath, I'll expect the inventors of those calumnies to be pursued with the full force of the law.

Countries don't work well when the only rules are pure power politics, but that's exactly what's going on right now. I hope that changes, but until it does, I'm going to insist that the Democratic Party to respond in kind. And once we have the majority and the White House, there's a lot they can do if they have the nerve. I will be encouraging my elected representatives to exhibit that nerve. And if Republicans feel bulldozed, they'll have only themselves to blame. --Bob


My God, I wouldn't be surprised if your head explodes.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:28 am 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9192
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Bob78164 wrote:
I'll add to that. Your remark causes me to strongly suspect either that you're too young to remember the late '60s and early '70s ...
I'm 1¾ years older than you and remember everything since about the time of JFK's assassination, as it happened, so - wrong!

Bob78164 wrote:
... or that you weren't in this country back then.
I was born in the U.S. and lived here all my life. I was in Orange County during the time you suspect I was out of the country. Wrong again, you xenophobe!

Bob78164 wrote:
Because if you were, I think you'd understand just how much of a mark the Vietnam War made on most Americans of my generation.
1) You are now confusing generation vs. age.
2) Again, you are deeming yourself spokesman for your generation. It is also my generation, and I assure you that you are not.
3) I never worried for a second about the possibility of my being drafted into the Vietnam War, nor do I remember any of my relatives, friends or schoolmates ever indicating a similar concern.
4) Had we thought about it, we surely would have understood that worrying about it or fearing it would be futile, since we'd have had no control over it.

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15458
BackInTex wrote:
it unfortunately will probably never be done back to them as the Republican party has a higher standard of ethics.


That may be the funniest thing you've ever said on this Bored, BiT.

Rep. Duncan Hunter and his wife indicted in use of campaign funds for personal expenses

Congressman Chris Collins And Others Charged In Manhattan Federal Court With Insider Trading And Lying To Federal Law Enforcement Agents

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 am 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
Estonut wrote:
2) Again, you are deeming yourself spokesman for your generation. It is also my generation, and I assure you that you are not.
And yet you're okay with claiming that you know better than I do what I thought and felt back then.

I doubt Donny and his peers worried very much either about getting drafted, either at the age of 11 or at any other age. I didn't have that luxury because I'd seen that it could happen to me. And a lot of my peers had the same experience, and I can assure you it weighed on their minds just as much as it weighed on mine. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
silvercamaro wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Here's the thing. You think the things Donny is accomplishing are good, and that's why you don't like the resistance. We're fighting for our lives and our family's lives against a Republican Party that wants nothing but more and more power. And the Republicans are implementing their agenda by smashing more and more of the unwritten rules that used to hold us together. Playing nice is no longer an option. It's time to play to win, and that's what I expect from my elected representatives.

I draw the line at violence. But I have no issue with confrontation, as long as it's effective. Maybe that's because I'm old enough to remember being scared that I'd get drafted to fight in the Vietnam War. --Bob


Bob, how old were you when you developed this fear of being drafted -- 6, 7, 8? Even younger? Perhaps you were in kindergarten when -- because of your high IQ and superior nursery school education -- you began to worry about the draft? If not, this may be the dumb-assiest argument "against violence but in favor of confrontation" e-v-e-r. You seem to be working way too hard to build some kind of mythology for yourself about what a brave and brilliant lad you were (and by extension, you are.) I just don't see that a lot of people are buying that.

Several times in the past, you have shared your outrage at what you perceived as being the subject of mockery. My unwanted advice: if you don't want to be mocked, stop being so damn mockable.
You gave me some unsolicited advice so I'll return the favor. This isn't the first time you've used your perception of intelligence or education as fodder for trying to mock me. In this case, you've interpreted my emotions from my preteen years as some kind of a claim to "high IQ and superior nursery school education."

I can't imagine why you think either intelligence or education are bad things, but particularly on a Bored nominally intended to link people interested in using knowledge to win lots of money, it's an attitude that strikes me as misguided. Perhaps you'd like to rethink it. Because in my view your decision to employ this particular line of attack says a lot more about you than it says about me. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
No. I'll drop it when they make it right, or when we rip power away from them so we can make it right ourselves. I'll drop it when the people responsible for stealing my vote for the person I wanted appointing Justices for four years have paid a political price for stealing from me. Until then, go pound sand. --Bob


Why the anger? How was something stolen from you when everything was done by the book, by the rules in place?

I'm sure Judge Garland would rather not have been brought up for review than have some man, 5 years younger than him, attack him as the pedophile that had molested him back in 1980 when Garland was 17 and the victim was 12, especially since the victim never told a single sole, but who cares, Garland's life and reputation would have been tarnished for ever. It it a good thing that the party in power had a moral backbone. But should the Democrats EVER get power pack in the senate, their playbook is now out there as something they want done, and it unfortunately will probably never be done back to them as the Republican party has a higher standard of ethics.
You're still arguing that Dr. Blasey Ford is a political pawn who made this up to keep Kavanaugh off the Court, even though she's been saying this for years. Until and unless a full and fair investigation is held (which I expect the Democrats to do if they take either chamber of Congress), I'll continue to believe that her testimony was a lot more credible than his.

If credible allegations are made against future nominees, I'll expect them to be fully and fairly investigated as well. If you're saying that Republicans are ready and willing to gin up false allegations, such as by claiming for years against all evidence and reason that the President was actually born in Kenya, I'll admit that their behavior over the last decade or so has convinced me you're probably right. I guess that's a chance future Democratic nominees will just have to take. And if false charges are made under oath, I'll expect the inventors of those calumnies to be pursued with the full force of the law.

Countries don't work well when the only rules are pure power politics, but that's exactly what's going on right now. I hope that changes, but until it does, I'm going to insist that the Democratic Party to respond in kind. And once we have the majority and the White House, there's a lot they can do if they have the nerve. I will be encouraging my elected representatives to exhibit that nerve. And if Republicans feel bulldozed, they'll have only themselves to blame. --Bob


According to bob-tel and the people on the other end of his bat-phone, we need to believe every accusation of sexual assault made by a woman. My belief is that any lawyer who says that should be immediately disbarred, but that's just me.

I think anyone who sexually assaults anyone else should be punished severely. But the accusation needs to be supported by some kind of fact, not just by words. This is one reason why, if you actually need a reason.

https://triblive.com/local/regional/14142176-74/lawsuit-accuses-seneca-valley-mean-girls-of-targeting-teen-boy-with-false

I love women. I think they are special and need to be respected. But some of them are bad people, and some of them do lie, and some of them are vindictive. Sorry, but it's true.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:07 am 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Why the anger? How was something stolen from you when everything was done by the book, by the rules in place?

I'm sure Judge Garland would rather not have been brought up for review than have some man, 5 years younger than him, attack him as the pedophile that had molested him back in 1980 when Garland was 17 and the victim was 12, especially since the victim never told a single sole, but who cares, Garland's life and reputation would have been tarnished for ever. It it a good thing that the party in power had a moral backbone. But should the Democrats EVER get power pack in the senate, their playbook is now out there as something they want done, and it unfortunately will probably never be done back to them as the Republican party has a higher standard of ethics.
You're still arguing that Dr. Blasey Ford is a political pawn who made this up to keep Kavanaugh off the Court, even though she's been saying this for years. Until and unless a full and fair investigation is held (which I expect the Democrats to do if they take either chamber of Congress), I'll continue to believe that her testimony was a lot more credible than his.

If credible allegations are made against future nominees, I'll expect them to be fully and fairly investigated as well. If you're saying that Republicans are ready and willing to gin up false allegations, such as by claiming for years against all evidence and reason that the President was actually born in Kenya, I'll admit that their behavior over the last decade or so has convinced me you're probably right. I guess that's a chance future Democratic nominees will just have to take. And if false charges are made under oath, I'll expect the inventors of those calumnies to be pursued with the full force of the law.

Countries don't work well when the only rules are pure power politics, but that's exactly what's going on right now. I hope that changes, but until it does, I'm going to insist that the Democratic Party to respond in kind. And once we have the majority and the White House, there's a lot they can do if they have the nerve. I will be encouraging my elected representatives to exhibit that nerve. And if Republicans feel bulldozed, they'll have only themselves to blame. --Bob


According to bob-tel and the people on the other end of his bat-phone, we need to believe every accusation of sexual assault made by a woman. My belief is that any lawyer who says that should be immediately disbarred, but that's just me.

I think anyone who sexually assaults anyone else should be punished severely. But the accusation needs to be supported by some kind of fact, not just by words. This is one reason why, if you actually need a reason.

https://triblive.com/local/regional/14142176-74/lawsuit-accuses-seneca-valley-mean-girls-of-targeting-teen-boy-with-false

I love women. I think they are special and need to be respected. But some of them are bad people, and some of them do lie, and some of them are vindictive. Sorry, but it's true.
How the hell did you get from what I said -- "Credible allegations need to be investigated" -- to "Believe all accusers" (not all of whom are women)? --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15458
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Maybe that's because I'm old enough to remember being scared that I'd get drafted to fight in the Vietnam War.
I call bullshit. The Vietnam draft ended, Jan. 27, 1973. You were 11½. You were scared of the boogeyman, too.


Well, I was not too young to be drafted. I was part of the first draft lottery and got a number in the low 100s (on the fringe of being drafted). The draft did end before I graduated college in the spring of 1973 (and would have become eligible), but not for much of my college days. And I thought about it a lot.

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15458
The Alaska Republican Party has asked Lisa Murkowski to provide them with any information she wants them to consider before deciding whether to reprimand her.

https://apnews.com/93cee785826a467a9f5bad4bcb75980a

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:27 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 9371
Location: Location.Location.Location
silverscreenselect wrote:
The Alaska Republican Party has asked Lisa Murkowski to provide them with any information she wants them to consider before deciding whether to reprimand her.

https://apnews.com/93cee785826a467a9f5bad4bcb75980a


C'est la vie. She had no major policy disagreements, just proprieeety

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:23 pm 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9192
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
2) Again, you are deeming yourself spokesman for your generation. It is also my generation, and I assure you that you are not.
And yet you're okay with claiming that you know better than I do what I thought and felt back then.
I called "bullshit." That means I didn't believe what you were saying, not that I "know better than I do what I thought and felt back then." Based on my experience at the time, that did not ring true, even moreso for someone nearly 2 years younger than me. I certainly was not presuming to speak for millions of others, as you did.

Bob78164 wrote:
I doubt Donny and his peers worried very much either about getting drafted, either at the age of 11 or at any other age. I didn't have that luxury because I'd seen that it could happen to me. And a lot of my peers had the same experience, and I can assure you it weighed on their minds just as much as it weighed on mine.
You must have been loads of fun on the playground...

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: Olympia, Washington
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
2) Again, you are deeming yourself spokesman for your generation. It is also my generation, and I assure you that you are not.
And yet you're okay with claiming that you know better than I do what I thought and felt back then.
I called "bullshit." That means I didn't believe what you were saying, not that I "know better than I do what I thought and felt back then." Based on my experience at the time, that did not ring true, even moreso for someone nearly 2 years younger than me. I certainly was not presuming to speak for millions of others, as you did.

Bob78164 wrote:
I doubt Donny and his peers worried very much either about getting drafted, either at the age of 11 or at any other age. I didn't have that luxury because I'd seen that it could happen to me. And a lot of my peers had the same experience, and I can assure you it weighed on their minds just as much as it weighed on mine.
You must have been loads of fun on the playground...

bob-tel made lists of the safety hazards of the playground equipment. He did everything in his power to prevent Jimmy Simpson from becoming hall monitor because he bragged about pulling Julie Mathew's pigtails.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lisa Murkowski
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:07 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:02 pm
Posts: 6309
Location: Great White North
silverscreenselect wrote:
The Alaska Republican Party has asked Lisa Murkowski to provide them with any information she wants them to consider before deciding whether to reprimand her.

https://apnews.com/93cee785826a467a9f5bad4bcb75980a


She should tell them to bite her!

_________________
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a1mamacat and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.