Rock Hall Nominations

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Rock Hall Nominations

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:42 am

This year's nominees have been announced. Let the gripes about the criminally overlooked and the ridiculous inclusions begin. I'll start:

They STILL give no love to the Doobie Brothers and Jethro Tull.

On the plus side, they FINALLY give Todd Rundgren a shot.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/st ... ar-BBO8Zc1

Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
Todd Rundgren
Rufus & Chaka Kahn
The Zombies

You can vote daily. I suspect that Nicks and Def Leppard will win the popular vote. I am not a huge fan of either, but they have strong cases. Since I think both will be inducted anyway, I am leaving them off my daily ballot and throwing support behind others who need it more. I could only come up with 4: Todd and Roxy Music in particular deserve induction. Todd has been a very innovative artist for a very long time, has excelled at both progressive experimentation and sheer pop songcraft. Add to that the long list of classic albums on which he's served as producer, and he's someone who should've been in long ago. Roxy Music didn't have anywhere near the amount of success in the U.S. as they did elsewhere, but they were a very strong influence on many artists. The Zombies are a borderline case for me, but they have fallen just short of induction for several years now, I kinda feel sorry for them..like the baseball guy who just misses getting into the Hall of Fame every year..besides, they're still active, touring and making decent new music, so that should count for something. Finally, I voted for Devo. I don't suppose they TRULY belong, but they made a notable if brief impact on the music world. They kept making records long after the world moved on, but their presentation was unlike anything seen before and their quirky videos were a staple of early MTV.

https://www.rockhall.com/fanvote/?_hsen ... fab94766c4
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

tlynn78

Re: Rock Hall Nominations

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:43 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:This year's nominees have been announced. Let the gripes about the criminally overlooked and the ridiculous inclusions begin. I'll start:

On the plus side, they FINALLY give Todd Rundgren a shot.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/st ... ar-BBO8Zc1

Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
Todd Rundgren
Rufus & Chaka Kahn
The Zombies

You can vote daily. I suspect that Nicks and Def Leppard will win the popular vote. I am not a huge fan of either, but they have strong cases. Since I think both will be inducted anyway, I am leaving them off my daily ballot and throwing support behind others who need it more. I could only come up with 4: Todd and Roxy Music in particular deserve induction. Todd has been a very innovative artist for a very long time, has excelled at both progressive experimentation and sheer pop songcraft. Add to that the long list of classic albums on which he's served as producer, and he's someone who should've been in long ago. Roxy Music didn't have anywhere near the amount of success in the U.S. as they did elsewhere, but they were a very strong influence on many artists. The Zombies are a borderline case for me, but they have fallen just short of induction for several years now, I kinda feel sorry for them..like the baseball guy who just misses getting into the Hall of Fame every year..besides, they're still active, touring and making decent new music, so that should count for something. Finally, I voted for Devo. I don't suppose they TRULY belong, but they made a notable if brief impact on the music world. They kept making records long after the world moved on, but their presentation was unlike anything seen before and their quirky videos were a staple of early MTV.

https://www.rockhall.com/fanvote/?_hsen ... fab94766c4
Mr. Rundgren was my first rock concert. At least I think it was him - hard to tell through the haze.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#3 Post by frogman042 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:57 am

John Prine - one of the top song writers ever in my opinion.

I saw him with Steve Goodman in a show (very early 80's) - at (I think) the Savoy in NYC and bought tickets to both the early and late show - Steve did the same set for both shows (and was John's opener - the played together only on the encore for John's 2nd show), but John's two shows was about 80% different from each other. He was amazing and really rocked - very electric and dynamic. It would be great if John got in, but I have my doubts.

Wierd Al Yankovic
Merry Man

#4 Post by Wierd Al Yankovic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:57 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:Let the gripes about the criminally overlooked and the ridiculous inclusions begin.

Where does the whine and cheese line start?

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Q. What has nine arms and sucks?

A.
Spoiler
Def Leppard
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
I should've added The Guess Who to that. There are others as well, on a slightly lower tier, that are quite worthy, but those stand out for me. Judas Priest and Motorhead are not personal favorites but were highly influential on many a band but the almighty Hall gatekeepers are not kind to those who don't make music in line with their personal tastes. I won't go into details about others I feel have been snubbed as I've done it every year..I'll give it a rest until next year as I expect most if not all of them will still be left outside the gates..
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Is Fleetwood Mac already in? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#8 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Is Fleetwood Mac already in? --Bob

yes
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Vandal
Director of Promos

#9 Post by Vandal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Yes, in 1998
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Vandal wrote:
Yes, in 1998
Thanks for confirming the Rumours. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#11 Post by frogman042 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Vandal wrote:
Yes, in 1998
Thanks for confirming the Rumours. --Bob
Based on the voting tally, I'm pretty sure it was a Landslide.

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:43 pm

I have no specific dog in this fight, but have always wondered why so many artists are in this venue who are not rock. Why not name it something that includes all the genres, or only nominate people who fit the name?

I know, whiny. But words mean things.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

kroxquo

#13 Post by kroxquo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 am

Artists who should be in who are not on this list:

Doobie Brothers
Jethro Tull
The Monkees (yes I'm serious)
Weird Al Yankovic (yes I'm still serious)
The Guess Who
Three Dog Night
Jim Croce
Duran Duran

I would vote for any of these before anyone on the actual list
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:57 am

kroxquo wrote:Artists who should be in who are not on this list:

Doobie Brothers
Jethro Tull
The Guess Who
Three Dog Night
Jim Croce
Duran Duran

Keep the Zombies and Todd and ditch Duran Duran (until next year) and Wierd Al (also next year).

Other than those two swaps I agree. No one else in this years list should be there.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#15 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 am

kroxquo wrote:Artists who should be in who are not on this list:

Doobie Brothers
Jethro Tull
The Guess Who
Three Dog Night
Jim Croce
Duran Duran

Todd is in my Top 3, along with the first 2 on your list, so I have definitely been voting for him. Croce is a mixed feeling for me. His career could've gone either way..his brief recorded legacy was terrific, but if he had lived, would he have continued to grow and issue more great tunes, or would he have fallen into a rut of endless Big Jim and Leroy Brown characters alongside the tender ballads? Sadly, we'll never know. His last album left us with beautiful songs like I Got A Name and The Hard Way Every Time, but to me, the character-type songs were already starting to wear thin. It would not be a mistake to induct him, but I think there are greater snubs to be fixed first.

You can certainly make a case for Weird Al..his is a pretty unique place in the rock world. Having him parody one of your songs bcame a badge of honor for most artists. And, most astonishingly, after all these years, his material is still funny.But there is no way the tight-assed Hall gatekeepers will let him in. Likewise The Monkees, who I defintely agree should be a no brainer.

The others on your list I agree with as well. I also think Emerson, Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, and beloved by fans/reviled by critics acts Styx, Kansas, and Judas Priest need to be considered. Motorhead as well, as their influence on modern day metal is enormous.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

kroxquo

#16 Post by kroxquo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:14 am

I will revise my list because I forgot about Todd Rundgren and he should be in as well.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Does it mean I'm getting old if I don't recognize three of the names on the nominees list? --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Does it mean I'm getting old if I don't recognize three of the names on the nominees list? --Bob
Oh well. I don't know MC5 but have heard of the rest. I'm bad on Dancing w the Stars peeps...I'm oldernyou, tho.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Does it mean I'm getting old if I don't recognize three of the names on the nominees list? --Bob
Oh well. I don't know MC5 but have heard of the rest. I'm bad on Dancing w the Stars peeps...I'm oldernyou, tho.
MC5 was from the 60s/70s. They sucked.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#20 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
MC5 was from the 60s/70s. They sucked.
Why don't I know them? I mean even in passing. Don't be mean...
Well, then

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#21 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:51 pm

I just googled MC5. They did suck. They sort of remind me (in attitude, not musical presentation) of the Flaming Lips of Detroit. How did they get nominated?
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#22 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:11 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I just googled MC5. They did suck. They sort of remind me (in attitude, not musical presentation) of the Flaming Lips of Detroit. How did they get nominated?
I am so woefully ignant. Garage band! Yeah!
Well, then

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#23 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:16 pm

Maybe there's a special secret category for white guy lead singer with the biggest afro.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#24 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:47 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I just googled MC5. They did suck. They sort of remind me (in attitude, not musical presentation) of the Flaming Lips of Detroit. How did they get nominated?

They fall into that "major influence on others" category...politically charged and raw, in the powderkeg middle of the radical element of the counter culture in the late 60's, they were basically punk before punk was a thing..many punk and new wave artists cited them as a big influence, and the Hall seems to love that genre.

Side note: guitarist Fred "Sonic" Smith was married to Rock Hall member Patti Smith up until his death.

Further side note: I never liked the MC5 either.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#25 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks, TBone. That makes perfect, sorta, kinda sense, if anything about MC5 could make sense.