Confidence?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

Confidence?

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 pm

I got a kind of accusatory call from landowner's daughter asking if I had been home for days & did I know my hot water tank was leaking. Daughter had motored over from 1/2 hour away to shut windows in basement that she opens every spring because of misguided theory that basements need to be aired out.

We could have shut those windows for her & when it got bitter cold enough to turn the heat on a few days ago I almost did.

At any rate, whether or not she believes that I wash things & bathe regularly, & haven't been out of town, she did get the plumber over.

I asked her about the stove because I remember having to let a service person back up here to relight the stove. Maybe that was the gas company changing meters, because this plumber says stove is on seperate gas line.

At any rate, landowner's daughter e-mailed me at 3:00pm that plumber was here but I was forbidden to talk to them because they were doing us this big Saturday favor & shouldn't be distracted.

I woke up, read e-mail, & silly me, I turned on water. Of course nothing came out of taps. Turns out plumber is still here. This is a 2 hour job?

I went down to basement to bother them as forbidden to & turned the lights on in my section for them. I am supposed to trust someone who couldn't find the light switch (they *had* found a switch for a diff part of the basement) & has been working in the semi-dark.

Plumber says they will call me when it is OK to turn on water. They say they called me when I did my too-early turn-on. But I think they called wrong #, as I didn't hear it..
Phone I currently have plugged into landline doesn't ring loudly. But it *is* audible.
Phone that had replaced it has worse problems. And apparently all the stores that still carry landlines don't have the ones with caller-id in stores, only on-line.

They next called the cell, when I tried that water turn-on, & I did hear it, even though it isn't loud either. At least not on the "sounds like a telephone ring" setting.

ghostjmf

Re: Confidence?

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:43 pm

I have a good old phone with a rotary dial I could plug in. That's wake-the-dead loud, anyone remember?

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:54 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I have a good old phone with a rotary dial I could plug in. That's wake-the-dead loud, anyone remember?
You should put that ring tone on your cell phone.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:00 pm

BJ: You forget that by choice my cell is a flip phone. My ring tones come from the built-in list of mostly very cheesy free tones. No way a 3G phone can buy other tones these days.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:50 pm

ghostjmf wrote:BJ: You forget that by choice my cell is a flip phone. My ring tones come from the built-in list of mostly very cheesy free tones. No way a 3G phone can buy other tones these days.
Back in the day when I had a one, I was able to upload other ringtones to my flip-phone.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:04 pm

They don't let you do that for 3G anymore, at least not on T-Mobile.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:57 am

ghostjmf wrote:They don't let you do that for 3G anymore, at least not on T-Mobile.
You might want to let T-Mobile know that. They still think you can...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

#8 Post by AlphaDummy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:54 am

ghostjmf wrote:I have a good old phone with a rotary dial I could plug in. That's wake-the-dead loud, anyone remember?
I actually bought one of those - okay, it was touch-tone, but it was a desk model with a bell loud enough to be used on a school playground - specifically for use when I was doing the phone-a-friend thing back in the day. Even though I usually was holed up in the PAF cave all day, I wanted something that I could hear from anywhere in the house and - not least among the considerations - would provide a jolt of adrenaline when it would go off in a dead-quiet room (and trust me, it served that particular function very well.) Sadly, I no longer have the phone; my friend was looking for a phone with an exceptionally loud ringer for his elderly and quite hard-of-hearing father, and what I had was exactly what he needed. Friend's dad has passed on, and I am not sure what happened to the phone...not really that big of a deal...hopefully, though, it is still jolting people somewhere...
"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:03 am

Esto: I don't have a "my touch 3G", whatever that is. Its a Samsung flipphone. And just because you googled ancient instructions from the internet doesn't mean they work in today's world.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:13 am

I'm going on a trip this week and don't want to schlep my laptop, so I'm taking a vintage iPad from 2010. At the time it was a technological marvel, but now it's an antique. Most new apps can't be installed on it, and even some apps that worked until last year are now broken.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jaybee

#11 Post by jaybee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:53 am

AlphaDummy wrote:

...hopefully, though, it is still jolting people somewhere...
Probably wound up at the home of a die-hard BAM fan who got it so they would not miss that important Round 2 callback.
Jaybee

Estonut
Evil Genius

#12 Post by Estonut » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:43 pm

ghostjmf wrote:
Estonut wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:They don't let you do that for 3G anymore, at least not on T-Mobile.
You might want to let T-Mobile know that. They still think you can...
I don't have a "my touch 3G", whatever that is. Its a Samsung flipphone. And just because you googled ancient instructions from the internet doesn't mean they work in today's world.
1) You said, "They don't let you do that for 3G anymore, at least not on T-Mobile."
2) The article I linked to is about 3G on T-Mobile.
3) The "ancient instructions" page that I linked to was last updated by a developer in June 2017.
4) How much development time do you think T-Mobile spends updating "ancient" pages?
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Esto:

Send me a Samsung flip phone that can do this on T-Mobile.. Mine can't. Period.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#14 Post by Estonut » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:04 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Esto:

Send me a Samsung flip phone that can do this on T-Mobile.. Mine can't. Period.
You are changing your claim. You said, "They don't let you do that for 3G anymore, at least not on T-Mobile." I showed you that they do. Your specific phone may not be supported, but that was not your original claim.
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#15 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:55 pm

You showed me that some internet page was updated in 2017, possibly by some hack. Not that this ever worked.

I could show you lots of current pages that give instructions that don't work.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:11 pm

ghostjmf wrote:You showed me that some internet page was updated in 2017, possibly by some hack.
Ohhh, this must be one of those hacker collectives I've been reading about. Apparently, they are putting a lot of time into falsifying change dates in defunct web pages. :roll:
ghostjmf wrote:Not that this ever worked.
Yeah, huge companies like T-Mobile are known for putting false instructions in their support pages.
ghostjmf wrote:I could show you lots of current pages that give instructions that don't work.
And none of them would prove your point, nor disprove mine.
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#17 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:24 am

Estonut says:

"Yeah, huge companies like T-Mobile are known for putting false instructions in their support pages"

They sure are. Wow, you walked yourself into that one.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:36 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Estonut says:

"Yeah, huge companies like T-Mobile are known for putting false instructions in their support pages"

What does your delusion tell you is the reason a huge, profit-driven company would spend money creating false instructions for their support pages?
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#19 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Estonut: Have fun trusting your friends, the internet & T-Mobile.

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:49 pm

Estonut wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:Estonut says:

What does your delusion tell you is the reason a huge, profit-driven company would spend money creating false instructions for their support pages?
I'm speaking for myself but I think Ghost will share my sentiment.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#21 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Bob Juch wrote:I'm speaking for myself]

Posts a meme..........

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#22 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Estonut: Have fun trusting your friends, the internet & T-Mobile.
I do, don't & don't.

Have fun thinking EVERYONE is out to get you!
Groucho Marx