George Clooney on "Hollywood elites"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

George Clooney on "Hollywood elites"

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:52 am

Apparently Clooney said this during an interview a little more than a year ago, but it just came to my attention:

"I grew up in Kentucky. I sold insurance door-to-door. I sold ladies’ shoes. I worked at an all-night liquor store. I would buy suits that were too big and too long and cut the bottom of the pants off to make ties so I’d have a tie to go on job interviews. I grew up understanding what it was like to not have health insurance for eight years.

"So this idea that I’m somehow the 'Hollywood elite' and this guy who takes a shit in a gold toilet is somehow the man of the people is laughable."

Clooney went on to explain that people who make it to Hollywood are predominantly from the Midwest, who have moved there to make a name for themselves and to start a career in the industry.

"So this idea of 'coastal elites' living in a bubble is ridiculous. Who lives in a bigger bubble?

"He lives in a gold tower and has twelve people in his company. He doesn’t run a corporation of hundreds of thousands of people he employs and takes care of. He ran a company of twelve people!

"When you direct a film you have seven different unions all wanting different things, you have to find consensus with all of them, and you have to get them moving in the same direction. He’s never had to do any of that kind of stuff.

"I just look at it and I laugh when I see him say 'Hollywood elite.' Hollywood elite? I don’t have a star on Hollywood Boulevard, Donald Trump has a star on Hollywood Boulevard! Fuck you!"

I really do think Clooney could run for office and win. And not just in bright blue areas. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: George Clooney on "Hollywood elites"

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 pm

What are his policies? Other than fuck you?
Well, then

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Beebs52 wrote:What are his policies? Other than fuck you?
What more would Bob and the Democrats need?

Clooney is clean and articulate, too. A plus.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 pm

I don't know, but if he ever did decide to run for office, he'd have some. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
I don't know, but if he ever did decide to run for office, he'd have some. --Bob
Now that's funny.
Well, then

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Now that's funny.
More amusing every day.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

franktangredi

#7 Post by franktangredi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Putting aside the issue of Clooney running for office - which is not something Clooney said, it's something Bob said - Clooney makes a very good point about how this 'elite' bullshit is being exploited by a con artist who know what buttons to push.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:53 pm

franktangredi wrote:Putting aside the issue of Clooney running for office - which is not something Clooney said, it's something Bob said - Clooney makes a very good point about how this 'elite' bullshit is being exploited by a con artist who know what buttons to push.
So what if it's true? You can diss a group you're part of. But that doesn't address Bob's statement, so there's that.
Well, then

franktangredi

#9 Post by franktangredi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:12 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:Putting aside the issue of Clooney running for office - which is not something Clooney said, it's something Bob said - Clooney makes a very good point about how this 'elite' bullshit is being exploited by a con artist who know what buttons to push.
So what if it's true? You can diss a group you're part of. But that doesn't address Bob's statement, so there's that.
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're asking me.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:15 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Oh cmon. Trump pushing buttons, part of the elite yada. I asked Bob about Clooney.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Oh cmon. Trump pushing buttons, part of the elite yada. I asked Bob about Clooney.
I did answer your question. "I don't know" is an answer. He's also not running for anything as far as I know so there's no reason to believe he should have stated positions on anything. I can guess what a number of his positions are likely to be, but there's no reason for me to put words in his mouth when he's not running for anything. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
I did answer your question. "I don't know" is an answer. He's also not running for anything as far as I know so there's no reason to believe he should have stated positions on anything. I can guess what a number of his positions are likely to be, but there's no reason for me to put words in his mouth when he's not running for anything. --Bob
So why post if you don't want him to consider a run? There are bunches of Hollywood sorts you could support.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote: Oh cmon. Trump pushing buttons, part of the elite yada. I asked Bob about Clooney.
So why post if you don't want him to consider a run? There are bunches of Hollywood sorts you could support.
Because I like his response to Donny's habit of bashing on "Hollywood elites." --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I did answer your question. "I don't know" is an answer. He's also not running for anything as far as I know so there's no reason to believe he should have stated positions on anything. I can guess what a number of his positions are likely to be, but there's no reason for me to put words in his mouth when he's not running for anything. --Bob
Because I like his response to Donny's habit of bashing on "Hollywood elites." --Bob
Perfect.
Well, then

franktangredi

#15 Post by franktangredi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Well, that cleared that up.