Somebody is taking a bath

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

Somebody is taking a bath

#1 Post by Sir_Galahad » Mon May 05, 2008 4:34 pm

I am out here in Vegas helping my mom get some of her financial stuff straightened out. So, while I was here I decided to look in on the house we sold before we moved to S.C. When I got there I saw that the house had been put up for sale but the for sale sign said Bank Owned. I looked around the property and was sad to see the state of disrepair it was it. My once-beautiful plants had run wild and were overgrown. The back yard that I put so much TLC into was a disaster area. When I went online to see what it was selling for, I was shocked to see the price was just 60% of what we sold it for 3 short years ago. I knew that the housing market in Vegas was pretty bad but I didn't know it was this bad. For Sale signs are up all over the place. Businesses I knew now have Vacancy signs up. It's not exactly a ghost town yet but I was pretty surprised.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

MarleysGh0st

Re: Somebody is taking a bath

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:When I went online to see what it was selling for, I was shocked to see the price was just 60% of what we sold it for 3 short years ago.
:shock:

You got out at the right time.

But I'm sorry you had to see the property in the sad state it's in.

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Mon May 05, 2008 7:29 pm

I haven't gone back to the house where I grew up in years. My folks moved out about 5 years after I did. The new owners cut down all the forsythia and rose bushes around the borders, cut down several major trees, put brickface on the front side only, and generally made a mess of the place.

I also have never gone back to where my grandparents lived. One of my cousins did, and his description of what had been done there was enough to keep me away.

"You can't go home again" is true in more ways than one.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue May 06, 2008 5:46 am

The last time I visited my mother before her death elwing and I went back to the neighborhood where I grew up. I recall it as being a nice, well-kept area, neat houses and lawns, and lots of children playing. My mother sold the house after she remarried, and I'd say that she also got out just in time. We drove past the house and it really looked sad, as did most of the houses around it. Evidently the neighborhood has "transitioned" from being middle-class to being "somewhat less" than that, due to the population shift in Oklahoma City. There were several "For Sale" signs, too. It was depressing.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:32 am

I thought this was going to be about baths vs showers.

Sir_Galahad

#6 Post by Sir_Galahad » Tue May 06, 2008 10:03 am

peacock2121 wrote:I thought this was going to be about baths vs showers.
Does anybody take baths any more? We have this big beautiful Jacuzzi tub in our main bathroom and it has gone unused in the three years we have lived there.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Tue May 06, 2008 10:27 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:
Does anybody take baths any more? We have this big beautiful Jacuzzi tub in our main bathroom and it has gone unused in the three years we have lived there.
If I fit into the standard tub, I would. At 6'2", my lower body is immersed when sitting straight-legged, but little else. Bending the legs double can get my upper torso wet, but leaves most of the legs high and drying.

The Niagara Falls hotel GW and I visited recently boasted of a Jacuzzi tub for two. Maybe two children under the age of ten could have fit at once. Two adults, not so much. Barely one adult, when it was me.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:31 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:
I use the phrase "I'm going to bathe" or "I bathed today" when, in fact, I have not taken a bath since I was allowed to do my bathing by myself.

lilyvonschtupp26

#9 Post by lilyvonschtupp26 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:36 am

I love to take a bath, grab a good book and soak til I turn into one of the California Raisins! It's a joy and I get away from phones, TVs and noise for a while.
It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many lives as we wish. -S.I. Hayakawa

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:58 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:
Does the hot tub count???

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh