Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 1931

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 1931

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:35 pm

This movie is actually creepily disturbing. Miriam Hopkins is a great actress.
Well, then

mellytu74

Re: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 1931

#2 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 pm

We watched it last night.

The close-ups of Frederic March's face are creepy and unsettling - you can see Jekyll's gears working.

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:29 pm

mellytu74 wrote:We watched it last night.

The close-ups of Frederic March's face are creepy and unsettling - you can see Jekyll's gears working.
Back when actors acted, instead of being themselves in a series of different roles.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

triviawayne

#4 Post by triviawayne » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:24 pm

tlynn78 wrote:

Back when actors acted, instead of being themselves in a series of different roles.

because the "acting" was so realistic and not over the top at all...

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:46 pm

triviawayne wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Actually Hopkins was good. We're watching the Spencer Tracy version, 1941, and it's way campier and boring.
Well, then

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:56 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Actually Hopkins was good. We're watching the Spencer Tracy version, 1941, and it's way campier and boring.
One of the things I like about the Tracy version was Ingrid Bergman in the Hopkins role. I agree with you, Beebs, that Hopkins was superb.

franktangredi

#7 Post by franktangredi » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:55 am

I watched this for the first time a couple of months ago, and I was struck by its portrayal of a woman in an abusive relationship that she can't find her way out of. Sadly, still topical.

franktangredi

#8 Post by franktangredi » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:01 am

tlynn78 wrote:

Actors today still act, and actors in the thirties were still themselves in a series of different roles. In fact, that was the entire basis of the old star system. March was part of a select group of stars who were also character actors - along with Paul Muni, Charles Laughton, Bette Davis and a number of others. But others stars such as Gary Cooper, James Cagney, John Wayne, and Clark Gable never disappeared into their roles quite like that and didn't need to.

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:29 am

franktangredi wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Actors today still act, and actors in the thirties were still themselves in a series of different roles. In fact, that was the entire basis of the old star system. March was part of a select group of stars who were also character actors - along with Paul Muni, Charles Laughton, Bette Davis and a number of others. But others stars such as Gary Cooper, James Cagney, John Wayne, and Clark Gable never disappeared into their roles quite like that and didn't need to.
I'm thinking specifically of the likes of Julia Roberts for instance. Don't get me wrong, I like watching her, and most of her work, but she are the same person in every role I've seen. Kevin Costner and Harrison Ford, same. ymmv.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:01 am

franktangredi wrote:I watched this for the first time a couple of months ago, and I was struck by its portrayal of a woman in an abusive relationship that she can't find her way out of. Sadly, still topical.
That's what impressed me, too.
Well, then

franktangredi

#11 Post by franktangredi » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 am

tlynn78 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
I'm thinking specifically of the likes of Julia Roberts for instance. Don't get me wrong, I like watching her, and most of her work, but she are the same person in every role I've seen. Kevin Costner and Harrison Ford, same. ymmv.
My only point was that this isn't a change. There have always been those types of stars.