So, for Halloween

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

So, for Halloween

#1 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:58 pm

amongst the grands, we have a 'spiderweb bride' ?? a 'candy princess' (rainbow suckers festooning her princess dress, hair and shoes ??) Hellboy (might be slightly life imitating art) Shimmer the Genie, and some Naruto?? character with a one-eyed, twisty orange mask.
I have no idea whatever happened to ghosties and scarecrows.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: So, for Halloween

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:32 pm

:D
Well, then

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:10 pm

We had 60 kids.

Several Incredibles. Monsters and dragons and dinosaurs. Mary Poppins. Dueling Captain Americas.

Some of our regulars have aged out - last year, a group of our longtime favorites said it was the last year for them. They went as the cast of The Big Bang Theory as a finale.

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:28 pm

I only had 20. It's was raining on and off, then the monsoon hit. I think we're done here.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:47 pm

mellytu74 wrote:We had 60 kids.

Several Incredibles. Monsters and dragons and dinosaurs. Mary Poppins. Dueling Captain Americas.

Some of our regulars have aged out - last year, a group of our longtime favorites said it was the last year for them. They went as the cast of The Big Bang Theory as a finale.
Awesome!

We've had about 40, so far. I think word is out we're handing out the full size :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

a1mamacat

#6 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:48 pm

just started here. so far no rain, several superheros, couple of skeletons, dinosaurs, and mini royalty.

about 20
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:49 pm

tlynn78 wrote:

Awesome!

We've had about 40, so far. I think word is out we're handing out the full size :lol:
When we were kids, WAY before every kid had a cellphone, word somehow spread amazingly quickly as to who was passing out full size bars.

The gated community across the (big) street was always good for a haul.

We also knew where the dentists lived.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:58 pm

So was I supposed to eat a candy for each child that came to the door or just each time I got up to answer the door. I only ate one each time I answered the door. Well, O.K., a few time I had two.

I'm gonna be sick.

It's Halloween 1968 all over again. :|
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:05 pm

Estonut wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Awesome!

When we were kids, WAY before every kid had a cellphone, word somehow spread amazingly quickly as to who was passing out full size bars.

The gated community across the (big) street was always good for a haul.

We also knew where the dentists lived.
LOL

Evil Dentist
Merry Man

#10 Post by Evil Dentist » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:09 pm

Estonut wrote:We also knew where the dentists lived.

I always give out GIANT sized bars! More visits to my chamber of horrors is always a good thing....
Say "aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"!

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:56 am

Our mayor decided to move Trick or Treat to Tuesday because of expected rain on Wednesday. We had 20-25 kids come by. Yesterday, in honor of Martin Luther, I ate 95 Reeses.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Estonut
Evil Genius

#12 Post by Estonut » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:16 am

earendel wrote:Our mayor decided to move Trick or Treat to Tuesday because of expected rain on Wednesday. We had 20-25 kids come by. Yesterday, in honor of Martin Luther, I ate 95 Reeses.
Spoiler
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#13 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:59 am

My wife was looking forward to handing out candy and seeing all the kiddies' costumes. Then she got called in to work. I can't get to our porch to answer the front door..my wheelchair ramp is in back...so my wife decided to put out a big bucket of candy with a note indicating this was going to be on the honor system..one per child, etc. The cynical part of my nature rose to the forefront and I said, "you do know this'll be gone the first time a few individuals too old to be trick-or-treating pass by, right?" Undaunted, she proceeded with her plan and put her trust in human nature.

This being 2018, guess how that turned out?

T-o-T was scheduled 6 to 8 pm. My son-in-law and grandson came by at 6:15. They reported that the huge bucket of candy was completely empty. Luckily we had some in reserve to indulge in ourselves so my grandson got his share from us.

The idealistic part of me is hanging on to the hope that it was, indeed, older kids that saw an opportunity for a quick score, and not young ones being encouraged by a so-called adult to grab all they could. Although these days I just wouldn't be completely shocked.

The compassionate side of me doesn't want to stop handing out treats next year and punish innocent kids and contribute to another one of my childhood delights disappearing into history..Lord knows many people no longer hand out treats, feeling it's just not worth the effort anymore.

And the self-preserving part of me resisted the urge to say to my wife "I told you so", as that would provide a more immediate route to losing my teeth than eating too many Almond Joys and Baby Ruths. :lol:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

tlynn78

#14 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:30 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:My wife was looking forward to handing out candy and seeing all the kiddies' costumes. Then she got called in to work. I can't get to our porch to answer the front door..my wheelchair ramp is in back...so my wife decided to put out a big bucket of candy with a note indicating this was going to be on the honor system..one per child, etc. The cynical part of my nature rose to the forefront and I said, "you do know this'll be gone the first time a few individuals too old to be trick-or-treating pass by, right?" Undaunted, she proceeded with her plan and put her trust in human nature.

This being 2018, guess how that turned out?

T-o-T was scheduled 6 to 8 pm. My son-in-law and grandson came by at 6:15. They reported that the huge bucket of candy was completely empty. Luckily we had some in reserve to indulge in ourselves so my grandson got his share from us.

The idealistic part of me is hanging on to the hope that it was, indeed, older kids that saw an opportunity for a quick score, and not young ones being encouraged by a so-called adult to grab all they could. Although these days I just wouldn't be completely shocked.

The compassionate side of me doesn't want to stop handing out treats next year and punish innocent kids and contribute to another one of my childhood delights disappearing into history..Lord knows many people no longer hand out treats, feeling it's just not worth the effort anymore.

And the self-preserving part of me resisted the urge to say to my wife "I told you so", as that would provide a more immediate route to losing my teeth than eating too many Almond Joys and Baby Ruths. :lol:
You're a wise man.