WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:37 pm 

Rather than join the bloviating on tomorrow's elections, I am going to take a moment to discuss some recent trips to see shows, as well as what is on the horizon.

While in Chicago for the weekend for college visits (mainly Loyola-Chicago), my son and I had the opportunity to shell out way too much money to see "Hamilton". I only say way too much money because the tickets cost close to what I paid for 2 tickets of a whole season of touring Broadway shows for this year (2018-2019), which includes Hamilton, in Omaha. However, the show itself actually was better than I even imagined. Lyrically, musically, staging-wise, it was top-notch. The audience had some issues, with late arrivals and early departures [I thought that I was at a Dodgers game], and noise during the show. My son, the theatre snob, had some thoughts about the lack of theater etiquette.

Other than it is a cultural event, one of the other reasons why we wanted to attend the show was that The Boy was cast in his high school's production of "Bring It On" as Twig, so it was a chance to experience other actors' cadence and style with Miranda's lyrics.

This past weekend, we attended the opening show of the Broadway series here in Omaha -- "The Play That Goes Wrong". It was described on the radio as "Monty Python Meets Sherlock Holmes", and it is a very apt tagline. It probably was the funniest play that I have ever seen, both with clever writing and physical comedy. As it is a touring company, one of the things that they do is work local jokes and references into the show, so they had to bring up the new Nebraska tourism slogan -- "Nebraska, It's Not For Everyone". What made it even funnier was that the show correctly understood that the slogan is a comment not on Nebraska but rather ignorant "coastal" folk who view this as flyover country. If you haven't seen this show, I highly recommend it. [The only down side to the show is that my son attended a master class for high school students last week, and they just did improve exercises, so he was disappointed.)

Of course, in the coming weeks, as Christmas comes into view, we will be attending "Bring It On" as well as a lighter-than-normal amount of "The Nutcracker". Because of schedules, for the first time in 7-8 years, my son will not be performing in the ballet, as all of the various performances are the same weekend as the high school musical. However, a girl that danced with my oldest two is dancing the role of Clara in the Lincoln version before she heads to dance next year as a trainee at Ballet West in Utah, so we are catching a show. (Her mother was the first real ballet teacher for them, and is the reason why my son decided to seriously study ballet after being cast in his first Nutcracker in Lincoln.)

BTW, here is the rest of the season in Omaha: Aladdin; On Your Feet (Gloria Estafan musical); Come From Away; School of Rock; Miss Saigon; Hamilton (Sept 2019).

We will likely try to trade On Your Feet tickets for a touring dance show, plus attend Book of Mormon in Lincoln in December.

the 45, to the 40, to the 35, to the 20, to the 10, he's all the way
home........[crowd cheering].......HOLY MOLY, MAN, WOMAN AND CHILD DID
THAT PUT 'EM IN THE AISLES.....JOHNNY THE JET RODGERS JUST TORE 'EM
LOOSE FROM THEIR SHOES!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:59 pm 

It's interesting that we will be spending election night at the theater this year. I hadn't planned on it, but the Atlanta Opera Company is putting on a production of West Side Story with full orchestral accompaniment. They rarely do traditional musicals but they've conducted extensive auditions to get opera singers for this one. And since their tickets normally command top dollar, I jumped when I had a chance to pick up a pair very cheap... but tomorrow night is the only night they will have cheap tickets available.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:16 pm 

Why didn't they want Broadway singers?

WSS is not an opera. (I hate modern classical mezzo-sopranos, & will say this show does not call for opera singers in any part.)

Last edited by ghostjmf on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:25 pm 

I lived three blocks north of the CBIC Theater two years ago for the three months I had to be onsite at HCSC. I forget what they had playing then because it wasn't something I wanted to see. The only show I went to then was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the Oriental, directly across from the door to my apartments.

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 pm 

ghostjmf wrote:

They didn't want Broadway singers because this is an opera company and their contacts are in the opera world, not musical theater. This particular production is a co-production with three other opera companies that was performed earlier this year in Houston, Kansas City, and Chicago. The Atlanta Opera Company has often gone somewhat afield in staging less traditional shows. Last year, they did Sweeney Todd, and their next show this season will be an operatic version of Dead Man Walking (their other two shows this season are more traditional selections, Eugene Onegin and La Traviata).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:35 pm 

silverscreenselect wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:

They didn't want Broadway singers because this is an opera company and their contacts are in the opera world, not musical theater. This particular production is a co-production with three other opera companies that was performed earlier this year in Houston, Kansas City, and Chicago. The Atlanta Opera Company has often gone somewhat afield in staging less traditional shows. Last year, they did Sweeney Todd, and their next show this season will be an operatic version of Dead Man Walking (their other two shows this season are more traditional selections, Eugene Onegin and La Traviata).

An Operatic Sweeny Todd must have been a blast!

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:02 am 
Evil Genius

Appa23 wrote:
Other than it is a cultural event, one of the other reasons why we wanted to attend the show was that The Boy was cast in his high school's production of "Bring It On" as Twig, so it was a chance to experience other actors' cadence and style with Miranda's lyrics.
I saw "Bring It On" about 7 or 8 years ago at the Ahmanson, but had no idea that Lin-Manuel Miranda had anything to do with it. Few had heard of him back then.

Appa23 wrote:
This past weekend, we attended the opening show of the Broadway series here in Omaha -- "The Play That Goes Wrong". It was described on the radio as "Monty Python Meets Sherlock Holmes", and it is a very apt tagline. It probably was the funniest play that I have ever seen, both with clever writing and physical comedy. As it is a touring company, one of the things that they do is work local jokes and references into the show, so they had to bring up the new Nebraska tourism slogan -- "Nebraska, It's Not For Everyone". What made it even funnier was that the show correctly understood that the slogan is a comment not on Nebraska but rather ignorant "coastal" folk who view this as flyover country. If you haven't seen this show, I highly recommend it. [The only down side to the show is that my son attended a master class for high school students last week, and they just did improve exercises, so he was disappointed.)
Glad to hear this. It is coming to the Ahmanson next summer.

Appa23 wrote:
BTW, here is the rest of the season in Omaha: Aladdin; On Your Feet (Gloria Estafan musical); Come From Away; School of Rock; Miss Saigon; Hamilton (Sept 2019).
"Come from Away" is the next play in our series. I will see it in early December.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:28 pm 

ghostjmf wrote:

WSS is not an opera. (I hate modern classical mezzo-sopranos, & will say this show does not call for opera singers in any part.)

The show was very impressive. The quieter singing numbers ("Maria," "Tonight," "Somewhere Out There") sounded a lot like operatic arias and a lot more emotive than the local productions of WSS I'd seen before. The dance numbers were also excellent.