The "Press" Conference

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

The "Press" Conference

#1 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:13 pm

I watched some of trump's press conference this afternoon. It showed, without doubt, how biased, rude and childish some of the 'press' is. Jim Acosta, who is supposed to be a 'news' reporter, disgraced himself and his company. I have just now heard he's had his white house credentials pulled. Rightfully so. Obama NEVER would have been treated that way. If some conservative reporter had treated that woman with the microphone the way Acosta did, he would have been skewered, and the self-righteous MSM would have demanded he be fired. Some of these so called 'news professionals' behaved as if they were in kindergarten. They have been given the distinct privilege of having access to the white house, and they act like they're in first grade, and ask questions the same way. If they were in a court of law, they would have been found in contempt.

And what was he asking? Some major policy or strategy question of the president? No. He was accusing the president of being a racist by pretending to ask a question. What kind of journalism is that? Is that what they are teaching in journalism school? How can anyone wonder why he calls CNN fake news?

And then that lady from PBS. She did precisely what aSSShole did to me over the Dr. Tipernini thing. And he did exactly what I would have done in his situation. Yes, these people are the ones that report the news that aSSShole, bob-tel, BJ and the fake pastor rely on.

The President offered the press an olive branch, just as I did to aSSShole, if they would report fairly. Then they did this. Looks like the fake news will continue unabated.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: The "Press" Conference

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I watched some of trump's press conference this afternoon. It showed, without doubt, how biased, rude and childish some of the 'press' is. Jim Acosta, who is supposed to be a 'news' reporter, disgraced himself and his company. I have just now heard he's had his white house credentials pulled. Rightfully so. Obama NEVER would have been treated that way. If some conservative reporter had treated that woman with the microphone the way Acosta did, he would have been skewered, and the self-righteous MSM would have demanded he be fired. Some of these so called 'news professionals' behaved as if they were in kindergarten. They have been given the distinct privilege of having access to the white house, and they act like they're in first grade, and ask questions the same way. If they were in a court of law, they would have been found in contempt.

And what was he asking? Some major policy or strategy question of the president? No. He was accusing the president of being a racist by pretending to ask a question. What kind of journalism is that? Is that what they are teaching in journalism school? How can anyone wonder why he calls CNN fake news?

And then that lady from PBS. She did precisely what aSSShole did to me over the Dr. Tipernini thing. And he did exactly what I would have done in his situation. Yes, these people are the ones that report the news that aSSShole, bob-tel, BJ and the fake pastor rely on.

The President offered the press an olive branch, just as I did to aSSShole, if they would report fairly. Then they did this. Looks like the fake news will continue unabated.
Unfortunately for your narrative, but fortunately for the truth, the incident is on tape. Jim Acosta did nothing wrong. The young woman (I assume a White House intern) reached across him to try to take the microphone from him. He politely said, "Excuse me, I'm trying to . . ." as he held onto the microphone and she desisted. She initiated the only physical contact, and it was entirely incidental -- her forearm appeared to make contact with his as she reached across him. (In other words, I'm not saying she did anything wrong either.)

I get that Donny didn't want to answer Jim Acosta's questions. That's too damn bad. And when he tries to duck the questions, it's Acosta's job to be persistent. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:I watched some of trump's press conference this afternoon. It showed, without doubt, how biased, rude and childish some of the 'press' is. Jim Acosta, who is supposed to be a 'news' reporter, disgraced himself and his company. I have just now heard he's had his white house credentials pulled. Rightfully so. Obama NEVER would have been treated that way. If some conservative reporter had treated that woman with the microphone the way Acosta did, he would have been skewered, and the self-righteous MSM would have demanded he be fired. Some of these so called 'news professionals' behaved as if they were in kindergarten. They have been given the distinct privilege of having access to the white house, and they act like they're in first grade, and ask questions the same way. If they were in a court of law, they would have been found in contempt.

Unfortunately for your narrative, but fortunately for the truth, the incident is on tape. Jim Acosta did nothing wrong. The young woman (I assume a White House intern) reached across him to try to take the microphone from him. He politely said, "Excuse me, I'm trying to . . ." as he held onto the microphone and she desisted. She initiated the only physical contact, and it was entirely incidental -- her forearm appeared to make contact with his as she reached across him. (In other words, I'm not saying she did anything wrong either.)

I get that Donny didn't want to answer Jim Acosta's questions. That's too damn bad. And when he tries to duck the questions, it's Acosta's job to be persistent. --Bob
As I pointed out, and you ignored, Acosta was not asking a question. He was accusing the President of being a racist by pretending to ask a question. The caravan WILL become an invasion if they do what they did when getting into Mexico. And the video was them doing just that. And Acosta knows it. That, my dear ethical, above average lawyer, is FAKE NEWS. And I will do everything in my power to..... whatever.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

As I pointed out, and you ignored, Acosta was not asking a question. He was accusing the President of being a racist by pretending to ask a question. The caravan WILL become an invasion if they do what they did when getting into Mexico. And the video was them doing just that. And Acosta knows it. That, my dear ethical, above average lawyer, is FAKE NEWS. And I will do everything in my power to..... whatever.
Calling a few thousand unarmed and desperate men, women, and children refugees hundreds of miles from the border an "invasion" from the pulpit of the White House is, as far as I'm concerned, something that contributed to the deaths of nine Jews in Pittsburgh. And I damn well want Donny pressed uncompromisingly on his racist signals. That's the press's job.

But if he doesn't like the questions the free press is asking, wait till he finds out what an independent branch of government exercising its subpoena power will do. The one thing I can guarantee is that his response will not show the class, dignity, or competence displayed when Democrats were responding to Republican investigations. Donny's about to lose control of the narrative. And it's driving him nuts. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Unfortunately for your narrative, but fortunately for the truth, the incident is on tape. Jim Acosta did nothing wrong. The young woman (I assume a White House intern) reached across him to try to take the microphone from him. He politely said, "Excuse me, I'm trying to . . ." as he held onto the microphone and she desisted. She initiated the only physical contact, and it was entirely incidental -- her forearm appeared to make contact with his as she reached across him. (In other words, I'm not saying she did anything wrong either.)

Calling a few thousand unarmed and desperate men, women, and children refugees hundreds of miles from the border an "invasion" from the pulpit of the White House is, as far as I'm concerned, something that contributed to the deaths of nine Jews in Pittsburgh. And I damn well want Donny pressed uncompromisingly on his racist signals. That's the press's job.

But if he doesn't like the questions the free press is asking, wait till he finds out what an independent branch of government exercising its subpoena power will do. The one thing I can guarantee is that his response will not show the class, dignity, or competence displayed when Democrats were responding to Republican investigations. Donny's about to lose control of the narrative. And it's driving him nuts. --Bob
Acosta didn't think it would be an invasion, either. Is that his job? I thought it was reporting the news. But I guess it's reporting what he thinks and what you want to hear. That's what CNN does. And so do most of the other 'unbiased' news outlets that you get your 'news' from. I think several thousand people from other countries storming the border and entering our country illegally would be an invasion. I don't care how 'desperate' they are. They need to go through the same process that several of my friends, relatives and co-workers have done or are doing. If you don't like the process, your saviors in the democrat party now have the house. They can propose new laws that can fix it if they want. But I suspect they like it just the way it is. If every desperate person in the world was allowed to just come into our country, we wouldn't have one anymore. Sorry it's not PC, but it's true.

a1mamacat

#6 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:27 pm

I watched the same clip, and at no time did he do anything but block her attempt to grab the mic. Just because the President doesn't want to answer the question, doesn't mean he can shut the reporter up. That poor intern. She kept looking like a deer in the headlights, she obviously didn't want to be in that position. Shame on the WH staff who put her in that position.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:30 pm

a1mamacat wrote:

I watched the same clip, and at no time did he do anything but block her attempt to grab the mic. Just because the President doesn't want to answer the question, doesn't mean he can shut the reporter up. That poor intern. She kept looking like a deer in the headlights, she obviously didn't want to be in that position. Shame on the WH staff who put her in that position.
Keep ignoring the real point.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Acosta didn't think it would be an invasion, either. Is that his job? I thought it was reporting the news. But I guess it's reporting what he thinks and what you want to hear. That's what CNN does. And so do most of the other 'unbiased' news outlets that you get your 'news' from. I think several thousand people from other countries storming the border and entering our country illegally would be an invasion. I don't care how 'desperate' they are. They need to go through the same process that several of my friends, relatives and co-workers have done or are doing. If you don't like the process, your saviors in the democrat party now have the house. They can propose new laws that can fix it if they want. But I suspect they like it just the way it is. If every desperate person in the world was allowed to just come into our country, we wouldn't have one anymore. Sorry it's not PC, but it's true.
As I've explained to you repeatedly, they have the right under international treaty and U.S. law to cross the border anywhere and apply for asylum. The refugees are not acting illegally and no one is "storming the borders." That is a lie. The refugees have, in fact, patiently waited their turn, often for months, to present themselves at the border and have their asylum applications processed. They are better behaved than most Congressmen. (Most Republican Congressmen, anyway.)

Either come up with video evidence demonstrating an "invasion" of U.S. borders or change your rhetoric. Because if you're going to speak as a racist would speak and write as a racist would write, you'll render yourself indistinguishable from a racist. --Bob

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:42 pm

a1mamacat wrote:

The President answered questions for an hour and a half. Acosta interfered with the intern's ability to carry out her assigned duties. He earned the ban. Even some of his fellow reporters are getting tired of his antics.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:04 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:

The President answered questions for an hour and a half. Acosta interfered with the intern's ability to carry out her assigned duties. He earned the ban. Even some of his fellow reporters are getting tired of his antics.
The White House accused Acosta of laying hands on her and said that's why they banned him. Having watched the video we know that was a lie. Which isn't surprising coming from this White House, but it still deserves comment. --Bob

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:24 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
The White House accused Acosta of laying hands on her and said that's why they banned him. Having watched the video we know that was a lie. Which isn't surprising coming from this White House, but it still deserves comment. --Bob
He blocked her first reach, and his hand came down on her inner elbow area when she reached for the microphone a second time. He blatantly prevented an intern from performing her duty. If someone came into my office and prevented any of my staff from performing their duties, I'd do the same. I have, in fact.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:39 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
He blocked her first reach, and his hand came down on her inner elbow area when she reached for the microphone a second time. He blatantly prevented an intern from performing her duty. If someone came into my office and prevented any of my staff from performing their duties, I'd do the same. I have, in fact.
Again, I've seen the video. He did nothing but hold onto the microphone when she reached across him to try to physically take it away from him. She's not a law enforcement person and she should not have been put in that position. But he did nothing wrong by standing his ground.

You're accusing a reporter of doing his job by persisting in asking questions. --Bob

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#13 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: But I guess it's reporting what he thinks and what you want to hear. That's what CNN does. And so do most of the other 'unbiased' news outlets that you get your 'news' from.

Unlike that bastion of journalistic integrity Fox News? Give me a freaking break. Good ol' Hannity popped up onto that campaign rally stage the other night to hug his buddy Trump quicker than, as one late night host put it, a contestant on The Price is Right.

I'm not going to dispute a bias against Trump, especially not at this point. But Trump created this situation. His rhetoric from very early on was...er..controversial, shall we say. His history of...er...controversial words and actions was out there as well. The press will jump on anything that smacks of scandal or outrageousness. Good Lord, they recounted all the sordid details of Clinton's adventures with Monica with such enthusiasm it likely made porno producers blush. But Trump is so incredibly thin-skinned that anyone who doesn't bow down and kiss the ring is an enemy. He started with calling anything critical of him or that didn't praise him fake news, mocked a reporter by imitating spastic movements, and then upped the ante down the road with his Enemy of the People declaration and, recently, joking about his appreciation of Gianforte's body slam. And now we have begun to see violent actions against the press.

Only Fox News earns his praise. Can't imagine why. So yeah, at this point, I'm sure the media would love to see him taken down. But Trump's mouth escalated this war, just as his words escalated the NFL/Anthem blowup. I truly think it never would've gotten past a few scattered players kneeling..then Trump steps in and brands the NFL as SOB's, and voila!

And now there's the "invasion". First, let me say that I DO think there needs to be a process to ensure these people aren't just welcomed in and set free. I also think that anyone planning to stay permanently should be here legally and hopefully plan on gaining citizenship.

BUT..

Trump has used scare tactics to fan flames and rouse his supporters..this group is full of terrorists, many bad people...and so, we get this..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 0a0a2cc749

Hey, a bunch of gun totin' yahoos just looking for an excuse to shoot somebody..what could go wrong? The military certainly doesn't want them there, Trump probably doesn't either..giving him the benefit of the doubt here..but his fearmongering has done its job.

I veered off course a bit, but it all comes back to the original point that Trump carries a significant share of the responsibility for this adversarial relationship with the press. Anyone who holds that office needs to have a really thick skin. And to realize that his words can light some really bad fuses..and create enemies as well. And saying he was joking or changing his tune or contradicting his own words often isn't enough to stop that fuse from igniting a blast.

And for the record, what I saw was a reporter asking a question Trump didn't want to answer. An uncomfortable one, maybe, but again..thick skin required. I'm sure he'd much prefer giving reporters a script on which pre-approved questions are printed. I saw Acosta not wanting to give up control of the microphone. I didn't see physical abuse. If I did, I would say so.

Finally, I just read this..from Sarah Huckabee Sanders, after Acosta's press pass was suspended-

"President Trump believes in a free press and expects and welcomes tough questions of him and his Administration."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

tlynn78

#14 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The White House accused Acosta of laying hands on her and said that's why they banned him. Having watched the video we know that was a lie. Which isn't surprising coming from this White House, but it still deserves comment. --Bob
Again, I've seen the video. He did nothing but hold onto the microphone when she reached across him to try to physically take it away from him. She's not a law enforcement person and she should not have been put in that position. But he did nothing wrong by standing his ground.

You're accusing a reporter of doing his job by persisting in asking questions. --Bob
Oh, mea culpa, Bob. I didn't realize you were in charge of assigning duties to White House workers.
I understand that facts are hard for you, but I didn't accuse Acosta of "doing his job." I stated what's apparent in the tape. Also, the White House press room isn't Acosta's ground, although I can see where his behavior indicates otherwise.

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:28 am

The President offered the press an olive branch, just as I did to aSSShole,
For once you're right Flock. You "kindly" offered that if I would apologize to you, admit I was wrong, and in general grovel and kiss your butt that you would quit using the term "aSSShole" to refer to me. Trump essentially offered the press the same thing. They refused as did I.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:33 am

tlynn78 wrote: Even some of his fellow reporters are getting tired of his antics.
The ones from Fox News and the Gateway Pundit.

flockofseagulls104

#17 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:55 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
The President offered the press an olive branch, just as I did to aSSShole,
For once you're right Flock. You "kindly" offered that if I would apologize to you, admit I was wrong, and in general grovel and kiss your butt that you would quit using the term "aSSShole" to refer to me. Trump essentially offered the press the same thing. They refused as did I.
The fact remains you were and are wrong. You need to admit it. Until then I will continue to consider you an aSSShole.

flockofseagulls104

#18 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:06 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: But I guess it's reporting what he thinks and what you want to hear. That's what CNN does. And so do most of the other 'unbiased' news outlets that you get your 'news' from.

Unlike that bastion of journalistic integrity Fox News? Give me a freaking break. Good ol' Hannity popped up onto that campaign rally stage the other night to hug his buddy Trump quicker than, as one late night host put it, a contestant on The Price is Right.

And for the record, what I saw was a reporter asking a question Trump didn't want to answer. An uncomfortable one, maybe, but again..thick skin required. I'm sure he'd much prefer giving reporters a script on which pre-approved questions are printed. I saw Acosta not wanting to give up control of the microphone. I didn't see physical abuse. If I did, I would say so.
I will agree with you that trump started this. His style is vulgar, and he is not anywhere near the mold of a normal politician. And he says stuff without regard to what the consequences might be.
And he has definitely targeted the news media which he regards as being unfair to him. He is a US citizen and he is entitled to his opinion.
That said, is that a reason for the news media to abandon all journalistic standards to fight back? Isn't it their job to report the news without injecting their individual opinions?
Jim Acosta is supposed to be a NEWS reporter. He is supposed to report the news as it happens without regard to his own opinions or political feelings. He asked the President about using the word 'invasion' and then specifically said he did not believe it should be called an 'invasion'. That is not reporting, t-bone. That is advocating. It is not his job to advocate. And on top of that, he acted in a way that would put a first grade boy with a sugar high to shame. If that is what you consider journalistic integrity, you can have it.

Secondly, Sean Hannity is NOT a reporter. He is a pundit, a commentator. His job is to give his opinions. He does it every day. You may not agree with him, but he makes no pretense that he is a conservative. You may not like that he was called on stage at a rally, but he committed no breach of standards by doing so. Jim Acosta and CNN do every day. Every time I tune to CNN I see their obvious bias.

You may not like trump. I don't like his style or personality. But he is doing some good things for this country, despite all the obstruction and hate that is thrown at him. Many people say he is thin skinned. I think he has very thick skin to take all the abuse and hate that he does. The big difference from other republican politicians is that he fights back. He does it very immaturely and childishly, but he doesn't just take it.
Last edited by flockofseagulls104 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marge Schott
Merry Man

#19 Post by Marge Schott » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:11 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:You may not like trump. I don't like his style or personality. But he is doing some good things for this country, despite all the obstruction that is thrown at him.

flockofseagulls104

#20 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:13 am

Marge Schott wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:You may not like trump. I don't like his style or personality. But he is doing some good things for this country, despite all the obstruction that is thrown at him.

Thank you for proving my point.
Really? Can I assume this is lb? If it is I am very disappointed in you. I thought you were smarter than this. If it's not, at least have the courage to say who you are. and tell us you think trump is like hitler and explain why you think that.

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:23 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:

I will agree with you that trump started this. His style is vulgar, and he is not anywhere near the mold of a normal politician. And he says stuff without regard to what the consequences might be.
And he has definitely targeted the news media which he regards as being unfair to him. He is a US citizen and he is entitled to his opinion.
That said, is that a reason for the news media to abandon all journalistic standards to fight back? Isn't it their job to report the news without injecting their individual opinions?
Jim Acosta is supposed to be a NEWS reporter. He is supposed to report the news as it happens without regard to his own opinions or political feelings. He asked the President about using the word 'invasion' and then specifically said he did not believe it should be called an 'invasion'. That is not reporting, t-bone. That is advocating. It is not his job to advocate. And on top of that, he acted in a way that would put a first grade boy with a sugar high to shame. If that is what you consider journalistic integrity, you can have it.

Secondly, Sean Hannity is NOT a reporter. He is a pundit, a commentator. His job is to give his opinions. He does it every day. You may not agree with him, but he makes no pretense that he is a conservative. You may not like that he was called on stage at a rally, but he committed no breach of standards by doing so. Jim Acosta and CNN do every day. Every time I tune to CNN I see their obvious bias.

You may not like trump. I don't like his style or personality. But he is doing some good things for this country, despite all the obstruction and hate that is thrown at him. Many people say he is thin skinned. I think he has very thick skin to take all the abuse and hate that he does. The big difference from other republican politicians is that he fights back. He does it very immaturely and childishly, but he doesn't just take it.
I say it's time that Jim Acosta and others call out trump on his lies. You apparently think the truth is biased.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

franktangredi

#22 Post by franktangredi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:30 am

This is not an isolated incident. It's not about Acosta. It's about a megalomaniac refusing to answer a question he doesn't like, and giving notice that he will NOT answer any questions he doesn't like and that any reporter who does ask him a question he doesn't like will be punished.

You may not like the question Acosta asked in this case. That's not the issue. Trump would have reacted the same way to any question he didn't like, even if it's asked politely. His track record shows that.

Journalists assigned to the White House are not reporters in the sense that their job is to tell us what is happening. That is the job of other reporters. The job of the White House press corps is to ask the President questions. Whether or not this particular question was legit is besides the point. The point is a President putting the press on notice that he will not answer any question he doesn't like, and that they will do so at their peril. And that's scary.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#23 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:32 am

Marge Schott wrote:

Thank you for proving my point.
Really? Can I assume this is lb? If it is I am very disappointed in you. I thought you were smarter than this. If it's not, at least have the courage to say who you are. and tell us you think trump is like hitler and explain why you think that.

I'll post this one under my real name instead of the more fitting LookingForHumorPoints MM so that you won't go all ghost on me again.........

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:55 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: But he is doing some good things for this country, despite all the obstruction and hate that is thrown at him.
And Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Except he didn't. Like Trump, Il Duce was quite good at taking credit for things that had occurred before he came to power:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/loco-motive/

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:03 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: He is a US citizen and he is entitled to his opinion.
He's entitled to his opinion, but he's not like you or BiT venting on this Bored or some caller to Sean Hannity's program.

His expression of his opinions carry weight. They are the official pronouncements (he's said his Twitter posts are official) of the President of the United States, the most powerful man in the world.

So when he talks about a caravan of rather hapless refugees being an invasion force and backs it up by sending United States military to the border to guard against people walking slowly on foot who are hundreds of miles away, that carries weight. It's not just you and I disagreeing about the caravan. It's a statement by the President of the United States that this caravan represents a threat to the nation's security sufficient to justify sending thousands of troops to deal with it when it's hundreds of miles away.

And, since we don't live in a country that has a state-controlled press, they have a duty to fact check those pronouncements and call him out on them. The press isn't just a PR firm at the President's beck and call. Fact checking and reporting that statements are lies or that he refuses to answer questions isn't expressing their opinion. It's called reporting, and it's the difference between actual reporting and merely serving as the President's mouthpiece.

It's not just that Trump's style is brash; it's that he lies far more than any president in recent memory. Over and over again. And when the press calls him out, they aren't "picking" on him, they are doing their job. They "picked" on Nixon a lot. Daniel Schorr even made his enemies' list. You know how that turned out.