The "Press" Conference

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: The "Press" Conference

#101 Post by Estonut » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:49 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The tape is quite clear that Donny was calling neo-Nazis very fine people (as long as they weren't actually violent).
Bob, did you REALLY reach this conclusion by doing your own research and thinking it through for yourself, as you often claim you do? You are either lying or failing to remember this correctly.

Let me lay it out for you:

The video:
President Donald Trump on Charlottesville: You Had Very Fine People, on Both Sides | CNBC

The transcript:
Full transcript: Donald Trump’s press conference defending the Charlottesville rally

Pertinent excerpt:
Q: You said there was hatred and violence on both sides?

Trump: I think there is blame on both sides. You look at both sides. I think there is blame on both sides. I have no doubt about it. You don't have doubt about it either. If you reported it accurately, you would say that the neo-Nazis started this thing. They showed up in Charlottesville. Excuse me. They didn't put themselves down as neo-Nazis. You had some very bad people in that group. You also had some very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group -- excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down, of to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.

George Washington was a slave owner. Was George Washington a slave owner? So will George Washington now lose his status? Are we going to take down -- excuse me. Are we going to take down statues to George Washington? How about Thomas Jefferson? What do you think of Thomas Jefferson? You like him. Good. Are we going to take down his statue. He was a major slave owner. Are we going to take down his statue? It is fine. You are changing history and culture.

You had people and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists. They should be condemned totally. You had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists. The press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats. You had a lot of bad people in the other group too.
The tape is actually quite clear that Donny was not calling neo-Nazis "very fine people." On that side, he was clearly referring to those who actually organized the protest, to peacefully protest the removal of a Confederate statue. In fact he even said the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists should be condemned totally. It's all there on the tape.
Thank you for taking the time to provide an evidence-based response. You are correct that Donny distinguished between neo-Nazis and white supremacists, on the one hand, and those who shared their goal of celebrating and honoring the Confederacy, on the other hand, and called only the latter "very fine people." I will alter how I discuss this incident in the future.
You made your claim (using those words) at least 10 times here, all without viewing the video. Don't you think you owe an apology to those here who DID their research and got accused (by you) of rewriting history?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#102 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:05 am

Another one of Trump's "very fine people" runs afoul of the law:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... 4bd461ed8d

This guy was at the Charlottesville rally and has also made threats against reporters (including one to toss a reporter into a woodchipper).

The problem I have is that every time something like Charlottesville happens, Trump's eventual statements are halfhearted at best (like the Charlottesville one) and never very forceful. After calling for civility after the pipe bombing incident, he goes on to bash reporters and Democrats yet again. He spent more time criticizing the synagogue in Pittsburgh for not having armed guards than showing sympathy for the victims. On the other hand, he takes every opportunity to throw around completely unsupported suggestions about MS-13 gang members and Muslim terrorists being part of the caravan (without any proof) and refers to them as an invasion force.

Words matter and virtually every word out of Trump's mouth provides grist for nutcases like this one. Trump knows it, the Democrats know it, and I would guess that even people like Flock know it. But they persist in attempts to rationalize and justify Trump's statements. There shouldn't be any need for people to parse words and figure out which adjective goes with which group of people in Trump's statements. But we never get that. He could easily have put a stop to the Charlottesville nonsense at day one with a forceful statement instead of an attempt to be "balanced" (which he never is when condemning anyone on the left). So, the racists and neo-Nazis (some of them who actually run for office as Republicans) continue to hang around Trump. But as this last election proved, the number of those people is dwindling, and it cost the Republicans dearly even in a gerrymandered House of Representatives.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#103 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:32 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Another one of Trump's "very fine people" runs afoul of the law:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... 4bd461ed8d

This guy was at the Charlottesville rally and has also made threats against reporters (including one to toss a reporter into a woodchipper).

The problem I have is that every time something like Charlottesville happens, Trump's eventual statements are halfhearted at best (like the Charlottesville one) and never very forceful. After calling for civility after the pipe bombing incident, he goes on to bash reporters and Democrats yet again. He spent more time criticizing the synagogue in Pittsburgh for not having armed guards than showing sympathy for the victims. On the other hand, he takes every opportunity to throw around completely unsupported suggestions about MS-13 gang members and Muslim terrorists being part of the caravan (without any proof) and refers to them as an invasion force.

Words matter and virtually every word out of Trump's mouth provides grist for nutcases like this one. Trump knows it, the Democrats know it, and I would guess that even people like Flock know it. But they persist in attempts to rationalize and justify Trump's statements. There shouldn't be any need for people to parse words and figure out which adjective goes with which group of people in Trump's statements. But we never get that. He could easily have put a stop to the Charlottesville nonsense at day one with a forceful statement instead of an attempt to be "balanced" (which he never is when condemning anyone on the left). So, the racists and neo-Nazis (some of them who actually run for office as Republicans) continue to hang around Trump. But as this last election proved, the number of those people is dwindling, and it cost the Republicans dearly even in a gerrymandered House of Representatives.
Your words matter too, and they never change. So do the words of the MSM. You and the MSM seem to believe there are 'racists' and neo-Nazis behind everything bad in this country, and that they are everywhere, plotting and scheming. And you call everyone who disagrees with you 'racists', neo-Nazis or anything else you can think of. Have you ever once thought about the consequences of doing that? I abhor using this analogy that is so ubiquitous on the left, but blindly demonizing and dehumanizing a whole group of people, like you do, isn't that what hitler did with the Jews?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#104 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:49 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: You and the MSM seem to believe there are 'racists' and neo-Nazis behind everything bad in this country, and that they are everywhere, plotting and scheming. And you call everyone who disagrees with you 'racists', neo-Nazis or anything else you can think of.
Do you ever actually think before you start typing?

I think there are racists and neo-Nazis behind the pipe bombing and the synagogue shooting because there were racists and neo-Nazis behind them. I think there are a number of them in the Republican party because of what they say and in many cases the types of ads they ran this time. What Donald Trump does is gives them plenty of reason to believe that the Republican Party has the welcome mat out for them.

On the other hand, I don't think there is a dark state conspiracy involving deeply placed sources in the FBI, along with George Soros and Hillary Clinton and the Russians trying to do bad things in this country. That's right wing conspiracy thinking, and nobody in a position of influence on the left thinks that way.

I wish I had the influence you seem to think I have. My website would be doing a whole lot better than it is now.

flockofseagulls104

#105 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:29 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: You and the MSM seem to believe there are 'racists' and neo-Nazis behind everything bad in this country, and that they are everywhere, plotting and scheming. And you call everyone who disagrees with you 'racists', neo-Nazis or anything else you can think of.
Do you ever actually think before you start typing?

I think there are racists and neo-Nazis behind the pipe bombing and the synagogue shooting because there were racists and neo-Nazis behind them. I think there are a number of them in the Republican party because of what they say and in many cases the types of ads they ran this time. What Donald Trump does is gives them plenty of reason to believe that the Republican Party has the welcome mat out for them.

On the other hand, I don't think there is a dark state conspiracy involving deeply placed sources in the FBI, along with George Soros and Hillary Clinton and the Russians trying to do bad things in this country. That's right wing conspiracy thinking, and nobody in a position of influence on the left thinks that way.

I wish I had the influence you seem to think I have. My website would be doing a whole lot better than it is now.
I have to think a lot before I start typing, because I don't have a bat-phone telling me what to say and what to think.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#106 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
I have to think a lot before I start typing, because I don't have a bat-phone telling me what to say and what to think.
You don't need a bat-phone, you have Breitbart and Fox News. Come to think of it, that's the same thing anyway.

Bob Juch

#107 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:53 pm

You don't need a bat-phone, you have Breitbart and Fox News. Come to think of it, that's the same thing anyway.
That would be a bat-shit-crazy-phone.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#108 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Is that the only argument you have to anything? When will you let it die?

silverscreenselect

#109 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:40 pm

When you actually display some independent thinking.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#110 Post by Estonut » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:34 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Is that the only argument you have to anything? When will you let it die?
Like you? Thinking independently from an actual videotape?
Groucho Marx

flockofseagulls104

#111 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:12 pm

What the fuck do you know about independent thinking? You have stuck to the liberal narrative in every post you have ever made. Even when proven incontrovertibly wrong (trump calling neo-nazis fine people, for one), you stick to the liberal talking points. Who ya gonna believe? Your lying eyes or the bat-phone? If any one is a parrot, it is you, aSSShole.

silverscreenselect

#112 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:15 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: You have stuck to the liberal narrative in every post you have ever made.
You must have missed my frequent criticisms of Obama during his presidency.

And you definitely missed my recent post about the problems with Trump playing gamesmanship with comments like he made about Charlottesville.

In fact, you pretty much miss anything that your favorite right wing sources don't spoon feed you and then congratulate you on your ability to think for yourself.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#113 Post by Estonut » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:43 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:You must have missed my frequent criticisms of Obama during his presidency.
That might just be your racism acting up. The only Democrat you've ever disparaged is the black man who defeated Hillary.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#114 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Another Donald Trump supporter goes to the theater:
A man shouting a pro-Nazi and pro-Trump salute during a performance of “Fiddler on the Roof” in Baltimore has reignited discussions of anti-Semitism amid increases in hate crimes in Maryland and nationwide. Audience member Rich Scherr said the outburst, during intermission at the Hippodrome Theatre on Wednesday, prompted fears that it was the beginning of a shooting. The man, who had been seated in the balcony, began shouting “Heil Hitler, Heil Trump.” Immediately after that, “People started running,” Scherr said. “I’ll be honest, I was waiting to hear a gunshot. I thought, ‘Here we go.’”

Samit Verma was seated in the balcony when he heard shouting and saw a man holding his hand straight up in a Nazi salute, he said in an email Thursday. Ushers rushed over to the man while audience members quickly made their way out of the theater and into the hall, Verma said.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

Of course, it's not Donald Trump's fault if neo-Nazis misconstrue his attempts at being even handed and diplomatic in his speeches and somehow come to the mistaken conclusion that Trump is on their side.

As an aside, when we saw West Side Story last week (in a 3000 seat theater) and a month ago when we attended another play in a 1000 seat theater, we had to go through metal detectors to get in. After reading this story, I understand why.

silverscreenselect

#115 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:54 am

The federal judge issues a temporary restraining order requiring the White House to return Jim Acosta's press pass:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/media/cn ... index.html

flockofseagulls104

#116 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:36 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The federal judge issues a temporary restraining order requiring the White House to return Jim Acosta's press pass:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/media/cn ... index.html
Hey, I wanna White House Press Pass!!!! I cite my 1st and 5th Amendment rights, too!!!!

Vandal
Director of Promos

#117 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:00 am

The White House has new “decorum” rules for reporters:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

flockofseagulls104

#118 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:45 am

Vandal wrote:The White House has new “decorum” rules for reporters:

Now if they could set some decorum rules for the President, we'd be in good shape.