You don't have to be in Montana to be married in Montana

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

You don't have to be in Montana to be married in Montana

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:08 am

triviatoday.com wrote:Wanna get married while you're in Montana? Not a problem. Wanna get married while you're somewhere else? Also not a problem. Montana is the only state in the union that will allow a couple to get married even if neither the bride nor groom are present. The law permitting what is called a "double-proxy marriage" was passed during World War II though no one is 100% sure why. When, a few years back, a soldier serving overseas wanted to marry his girlfriend, they hired lawyer Dean Knapton to look into an old rumor that double-proxy weddings were legal in Montana. He found the old law still on the books, and arranged the whole marriage. It was then that he realized there was a potential business opportunity here. And now, for only $900, you too can be married by double proxy in the state of Montana.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

Re: You don't have to be in Montana to be married in Montana

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:58 am

Well, now we know how T-girl stays busy, processing all those marriage licenses.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

Re: You don't have to be in Montana to be married in Montana

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:30 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Well, now we know how T-girl stays busy, processing all those marriage licenses.
Nope, we don't do proxy marriages in my county. Three counties in Montana do them, we're not one of them. One of the parties MUST be a military member on active duty, or a Montana resident.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire