Another cyclist killed by truck in Somerville

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

Another cyclist killed by truck in Somerville

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 pm

At a spot I drive by daily

Cyclists should get off & walk there

The truck was in the wrong, but this doesn't matter to a cyclist when they're dead

ghostjmf

Re: Another cyclist killed by truck in Somerville

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:32 pm

They've been interviewing idiot cyclists, too. One says "you should swerve in front of trucks so they see you". The dead guy was not doing that, which from my point of view as both cyclist & driver is idiotic.

Another says "more bike lanes; until that I'm biking on the sidewalk". Which I *hope* is illegal in most places.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 pm

I'm very sorry to read that. And I'm on the side of the person who will be riding on the sidewalks.

Colorado law requires that you give bicyclists three feet of space between your car and the bike, but in my opinion, it should be six.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:35 am

SportsFan68 wrote:And I'm on the side of the person who will be riding on the sidewalks.
You are until a cyclist runs down a pedestrian on the sidewalk.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:07 am

Estonut wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:And I'm on the side of the person who will be riding on the sidewalks.
You are until a cyclist runs down a pedestrian on the sidewalk.
That's true.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:55 pm

My cousin was knocked down by a cyclist. I think they were both in a park. My cousin was never the same again medically & died a few years later from autoimmune stuff that developed after they were treated for being hit by the bike. They were In their 60s, but died far too early.

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:58 pm

I personally think no-one older than a kid on a tryke should be riding down the sidewalk.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:49 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I personally think no-one older than a kid on a tryke should be riding down the sidewalk.

I personally think nobody with less than a motor on their vehicle should be riding in the street...

Bicyclists and pedestrians mix a hell of a lot better than bicyclists and cars (not to mention semis who don't look out for anything shorter than ten feet tall)...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:14 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:I personally think no-one older than a kid on a tryke should be riding down the sidewalk.
I personally think nobody with less than a motor on their vehicle should be riding in the street...

Bicyclists and pedestrians mix a hell of a lot better than bicyclists and cars (not to mention semis who don't look out for anything shorter than ten feet tall)...
Thanks to lb13, the Race Across America goes from about 8 days to about 8 months, once they get all the sidewalks installed along the way...
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:29 am

Estonut wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

Thanks to lb13, the Race Across America goes from about 8 days to about 8 months, once they get all the sidewalks installed along the way...

How about that... I just created a shitload of new construction jobs! I'll still have to decline the nomination in '20...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:51 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:I personally think nobody with less than a motor on their vehicle should be riding in the street...

How about that... I just created a shitload of new construction jobs! I'll still have to decline the nomination in '20...

lb13
You know, there is not really a lot of engineering that goes into a sidewalk. Probably not a lot of environmental studying, either.

So it's a shitload of shovel ready jobs. That's plays better in the media.

Let me know if you need a campaign manager.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#12 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:15 am

BackInTex wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Estonut wrote:Thanks to lb13, the Race Across America goes from about 8 days to about 8 months, once they get all the sidewalks installed along the way...

lb13
You know, there is not really a lot of engineering that goes into a sidewalk. Probably not a lot of environmental studying, either.

So it's a shitload of shovel ready jobs. That's plays better in the media.

Let me know if you need a campaign manager.

I'm a champion of the people who get their hands dirty. They are some very fine people...

lb13

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:29 am

Wear gloves. You can shovel just as much dirt as those who don't. And have clean, unchafed hands.

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:12 am

ghostjmf wrote:Wear gloves. You can shovel just as much dirt as those who don't. And have clean, unchafed hands.
But then you'd have to buy Fabuloso to wash the gloves.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#15 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:54 pm

My cousin *did* die after being hit by a bicycle. I think the sequence was "shattered hip", reactions to bad replacement, death.

The stronger vehicle should stay out of the way of their potential target.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:51 am

Bob Juch wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:Wear gloves. You can shovel just as much dirt as those who don't. And have clean, unchafed hands.
But then you'd have to buy Fabuloso to wash the gloves.
It sounds as if neither of you has done much manual labor.

One can still get chafed hands while wearing gloves.

I've never heard of anyone washing their work gloves.
Groucho Marx